Week #243 ~ The Foggy Mountain Top

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is The Foggy Mountain Top, which was submitted as an Old Time tune. I'm not familiar with it.

I found these videos:

Here's a link to some notation and lyrics.

Here's a link to the tune on Mel Bay's Mandolin Sessions.

If anyone has any more links, please add them!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here are just a few more fun examples....

As in the clip above with Bill Monroe, Doc Watson does a super job on it with Ricky Scaggs and Earl Scruggs...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb5jGg_Q7sQ

Flatt and Scruggs have a great version...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAXco0eP4Y4

You take those two and add Maybelle Carter, and here's what you get...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZw6vFhHbEE

I especially like the Carters' version with the fun yoddling Barbara posted and last but not least, I like this one from June.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxxJruaY44U
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Now that's quite a list to try to follow. Looked like Foggy Mt. Top was going to come out on top, so I went ahead and worked on it early. I was familiar with this tune from the playing of Bill & Charlie Monroe on an old Bluebird record reissue I have.

4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Whew-wee! What great mandolin breaks and singing, Michael! That's the way to get it started.
  5. luurtie
    luurtie
    I love it Michael! You showed me some nice licks I can work on!
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Wow Michael, that's really something. It's a great demonstration of what you can do playing under a vocalist with a mixture of chords and licks. I personally haven't got beyond chopping along with a vocalist, but this is a real masterclass of what's possible. I think I will be studying this intently in the months to come and the nice clear camera angle helps. Thanks!
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I've always liked this tune on our Three Pickers CD, and am happy for the excuse to start working on it. Here's what Jeff and I have so far. Merry Christmas you all.

8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice duet!
  9. Obiwan
    Obiwan
  10. luurtie
    luurtie
    Marcy and Jeff, you did a nice job on this oldtime tune.. Short but steady Obiwan..
    My kids complained about my yodeling in this one, I hope people here don't... Here is my mix

11. Obiwan
    Obiwan
    Verry nice job luurtie every one els did a great job ,
    inspires me to want to sing and yodel
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    The only way I could yodel like that is if I sat on my banjo picks. Great job, Luurtie! Very enjoyable versions from everyone else too.
  13. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Another fun tune. Michael - maybe in another 40 years I'll catch up to you, super playing. Marcy and Jeff - great OT version, Jeff really got cranking with the clawhammer. Obiwan - great chord intro. Lurrtie - you sing like an angel and I hope you didn't hurt yourself with the yodeling, you'll give Ranger Doug of Riders in the Sky a run for his money.

Here's my entry for the week. Decided to try some vocals along with my wife Liz. Our first time with this. It took me several days to figure out how to get everything all together, timing wise. With my limited recording equipment and abilities I found that the leading guitar intro was key to getting on track. My jam groups do this as Rocky MTN Top so instead of foggy mtns I give you the Rockies.

14. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hendrik, very cool yodeling and picking. Obiwan, great job. Woodenfingers: nice job on the song and super job of figuring out how to multi-track. And it's funny, but you know I started learning the mandolin in 1972 and haven't stopped yet. There's always something else to figure out...
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Bob, who knew? You and Liz have been holding out on us. Y'all sound great together!
    Hendrik, not only do you yodel, but you yodel along with yourself in higher harmony. That's some kind of range.
    Obiwan, I like your picking style. That's a fun way to play this melody and I think I'll work on figuring that out.
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice duet Bob and Liz; and great yodelling from Hendrick. My yodelling days are long gone so its instrumental only. Happy Xmas to everyone.
  17. jonny250
    jonny250
    You guys are great again this week, i especially enjoyed Marcie and Jeff's duet
    Luurtie, your professional performance again this week was really smoooth!

I hope you all have a happy Christmas! Once again i would like to say a big THANK YOU for all the fun and friendly support over this year! looking forward to 2014...!
    Here is my Foggy Mountain Top:
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's my Foggy Mtn Top:

19. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was excellent David. You pruduce very good studymaterial for me You play scales I would never have thought of. they sound so nice and bluesy, thanx for posting this