Week #238 Eleanor Plunkett

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    After a close race, it looks like O'Carolan's Eleanor Plunkett pulled through as this week's winner.
    The song and lyrics have a fascinating bit of history behind them which you can read about here...
    http://www.irishpage.com/songs/carolan/plunkett.htm

Here's ABC notation from The Session
    X: 1
    T: Eleanor Plunkett
    R: waltz
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    GA | B2B2AG | G2G2ag | e2e2 ed | B2B2AG |E2A2 AB|
    A4 ga | b2 aged | e4 ef | g2g2b2 | a2 bagf | g2 agfe | d2B2d2| e2g2G2 | B2B2AG | E2A2AB | A4 |
    The Session has a midi and sheet music here...
    http://thesession.org/tunes/2575

Mandolin tab and sheet music here...
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/fo...r_plunkett.htm

Here's a lovely rendition by our own David Hansen...

And what about this beautiful duet featuring another of our favorite pickers, Scott Tichenor...

Here's a great arrangement from the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra...
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcy, thanks again!
  3. luurtie
    luurtie
    I made this one, a half year ago...

4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is a three-part harmony recording I made today, based on an arrangement for tin whistle trio which I found on a Japanese website of all places. I've adapted it in places to match my instrumentation and have made it into a trio of mandolin, octave mandolin and tenor guitar. The arrangement bounces the melody nicely between the voices and I think it suits the instruments pretty well:

Martin
  5. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    These are all very beautiful versions. I first heard this tune on the Marla Fibish & Jimmy Crowley CD, "The Morning Star", and wanted to learn it straight away. I'm still working on it!
  6. Francis J
    Francis J
    David, luurtie, and Martin, three great versions. Isn't it amazing how Carolan's music can be played in so many ways, and always sounds so good. Martin, your mandolin sounds really harp-like in the higher register! I guess it's something to do with the relationship between the instruments you have put together in your arrangement. Really Cool. David, You're the most prolific player of Carolan music around these parts, and always get the feel just right. luurtie, I love your tremolo!
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Congratulations to all! Some really lovely versions of the tune here so far. David, that guitar arrangement is beautifully played and blends so well with the mando. Luurtie, very relaxed version and the filming shows your easy style well. Martin, a super arrangement - can you post a link to the parts, please? Your visuals are well chosen too!
  8. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Francis/John: Thanks for the kind comments. The link to the parts for my arrangement is here (give or take a few instances where I have split a minim into two crotchets to make it more rhythmic):

Link

Martin
  9. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    What a beautiful tune.
    Very nice David, Scott, Luurtie, and Martin.
    It was fun seeing Brian and the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra.
    I met a lot of them at Brian's River of the West camp.
    If you ever want to learn mandolin theory till your brains numb that's the place for you.
    A mansion looking over the Columbia River full of amazing teachers. [check website]
    Don Steirnberg is there every year.
    Warning: There's not a chop chord in the house.
  10. laura809
    laura809
    Very nice versions all around, and a very pretty tune. Martin, that was a really nice arrangement that you found. Luurtie, you did some nice variations that made your version unique. David, I particularly liked the guitar part on your arrangement.
  11. 9lbShellhamer
    9lbShellhamer
    David- The concertina at the end. Very cool and unexpected.
    Luurtie- I really like your version! It takes a very gaelic/ celtic sounding song and makes it sound, (to me), more reminiscent of a civil war tune.
    Martin- Your arrangement among the instrument is very well thought out. The backing instruments gave room for the leads and it fit together nicely! Great job.
    laura- I've got to figure out how you did that on Youtube. maybe then I could do multitracks like all you song of the week pros.

I'll try to get in some more practice time and record another few takes. Regardless, I'll have my vid up soon.

Nice Job Folks.
  12. 9lbShellhamer
    9lbShellhamer
    Here is the vid for my second week in the group. This has been fun... I always like something that makes me stretch that little out to hit the seventh...its getting stronger. Thanks.
    Eleanor Plunkett-
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Steady and clean picking--really nice work. 9LB
    Laura that's a very pretty arrangement.
  14. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Good timing and nice tone 9lb. Here is my version on a Savannah with pictures of various well known Eleanors.
  15. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I have tried playing this tune alone and with others. It's interesting how the melody is a nice dance tune when accompaniment forces you to play in strict time, and a beautifully lyrical piece when you play solo and more freely. I have tried to give this tune some expression, as far as my limited capabilities would allow.

16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Went out for a walk this afternoon to one of my favourite spots, the Lochan about ten minutes from my home, and took the camera. Thought of a tune to go with the pictures and remembered Eleanor plunkett, so here is my offering, on tenor guitar and mandolin.

17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sounds beautiful on your tenor guitar, John. And the mandolin part adds so much to the arrangement too.
  18. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Really beautiful John. Great pictures as well.
  19. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Well done, very enjoyable.
  20. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bit late to the party here. Great versions from all. I really liked David's fingerpicking the melody on guitar and Laura's fingerpicking guitar background and having felt that my standard strumming pattern makes things start to sound too much like a march I wanted to try fingerpicking guitar background here. Unfortunately, for me, I found it more difficult than expected. So, kudos to those that can do it effectively. I was trying eigth notes and it sounded way too busy. So here is what I salvaged from my attempts:

[MP3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111671&d=1388253429[/MP3]
  21. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've already recorded this beautiful Carolan tune when it was the current SAW tune. This is a new and different arrangement -- simpler and a bit more uptempo, more like a dance tune than a slow air.

It's based on the version in "Celtic Music for Mandolin" by Allan Alexander and Jessica Walsh. They have written a variation which uses the same progression as the Carolan tune. I'm not sure of its merits as a variation in its own right, but it makes a nice harmony/counter melody part to accompany the traditional tune. My recording is a trio of mandolin and double-tracked tenor guitar, playing chords and alternating with the mandolin on melody and harmony.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar (x2)

Martin