Week #7 ~ Big Sciota ~ REVISITED

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Eddie Sheehy
    Eerie is in Indiana and Normal is in Illinois....
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    I'll post something on Zoukfest - probably in the CBOM thread later... now it's on to Big Scotty...errr Schottische....errrr......
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie says: Eerie is in Indiana, Normal is in Illinois.....

Barb says, Ohio is round on both sides and HI in the middle, and one translation of Iowa, is 'beautiful land'... and it is!
  4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's my Big Sciota from the front porch of my friend's house about 10 miles south of Telluride. I had to work part of the day so I didn't get in till after 7 and did this even later. (A 6 hour drive from NM.) Didn't realize till later that I set my laptop up under the hummingbird feeder. There's a special guest appearance in my video and lots of natural sound effects. Can't see the mountains behind me, but they are there. Since I came up to see Compton play with Elvis Costello, I tried to put some shuffle in it.

Everything is better at 10,000 feet.

Oh, the mandolin is my Campanella Strings Due (2 point).

5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, that was great!!! I thought hummingbirds hummed, but I think they were tweeting!
  6. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Wow, that's really awesome capturing that hummingbird in the video like you did.

Good job ;-)
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    No Notation apart from the PNG file?
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    My son told me why Hummingbirds hum.....because they don't know the words....
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounding really good out there Don.
  10. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Lovely version of the song -- also cool hummers.

For all you eastern folks we only have one humming bird -- the Ruby-throated hummingbird -- mostly a "buzzer" -- but scattered throughout west there are around 10 - 12 other species - I'll guess that since Don is in Colorado that his guest performer was a Broad-tailed hummer -- they are known for their shrieking sounds
  11. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Hi all,
    I would say that the hummer was a broad-tailed hummingbird for sure! Nice call Bernie! You can hear the distinctive wing buzz of the species, due to the shape of the outer primaries. What an awesome "song prop!"

......and great version of Big Sciota. It definitely had the "high mountain" sound!

Rob
  12. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    You all can play this SO fast - I managed it, but it was painfully slow. I accompanied myself on guitar, and kept having to tell myself (on the guitar) to slow down or I'd get too fast for my mandolin fingers to keep up. I did try to work up an intro and outro on the guitar, tho' to give myself a change to take a deep breath and get ready...LOL

13. billkilpatrick
    kat - "be yourself" indeed ... a particularly soulful rendition, if i may say - complimenti.

don - let's do a movie ... call it "song of the south" ... zip-e-dee-doo-da .. waddaya'think? (great playing!)
  14. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Sorry I'm so late. I've had a very busy last few days. Here you go...

http://vimeo.com/5274301

Chris
  15. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Nice job Hddkat -- clean and melodic! How did you do it -- play the guitar in the background or merge the tracks?
  16. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Great Chris! Late is much better than never -- esp. in this case. Hope you don't mind if I steal a few of those licks.
  17. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Thanks Bernie! I recorded the guitar using Audacity, then played it back through one computer (the one with the better speakers) while recording the video on a different computer (the one with the built in webcam).

Funny aside- the first time I tried it, I set everything up, with the little webcam laptop sitting in front of the bigger computer monitor, so when I couldn't see the 'play' button on the big monitor, I folded down the screen of the laptop a little to see where to click. Duh - the first video was a great duet - guitar and mandolin with a stirring picture of my lap and kneecaps. Needless to say, that was a do-over.
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kat... I don't know... Bill submitted a video of HIS knees! I'm sure yours are JUST as nice!
  19. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    I will toss my pick in the ring on this particular tune.
    It's not perfect yet but I working on it.
    Enjoyed others versions.

Terry
  20. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Nice Terry! Nothing wrong with that at all. Is that a Kentucky 1500?
  21. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Very clean pickin', Terry. I have to admit that this one has become an ear-worm to me - I'm working on how to flat-pick it on my 6 string, too - I think it would be fun to play with someone else playing mandolin, and trade the lead line back and forth between the two.
  22. TDMpicker
    TDMpicker
    Bernie,
    Not a 1500.
    It is a KM-1000... one of the newer ones.
    This one is a late 2007 S/N that I go this past March.

Thanks for the kind words HddnKat.

Terry
  23. trailrider
    trailrider
    Having trouble downloading music notes for Jesus Love me. I have a Mac and I press option and still won't download, any other idea's for me I would really appreciate. I am a beginner also and always need help. I live in middle Tn. and have a Phoenix Neoclassical mandolin. Beverly
  24. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    You need TefView for mac.

Chris
  25. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie
    Okay, I finally got around to recording this one. I can never seem to go into a second time around without screwing it up, so here's one time through.

26. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    Very nice, bgjunkie! That a Gibson F9? Sounds great.
  27. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie
    Thanks. Yeah, that's my F9. It has been neglected lately for my octave.
  28. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Both of your instruments sound really fine. That octave mando is sweetly sonorous.
  29. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Here's another version of Big Scioty by Aly Bain, Jay Ungar, Russ Barrenberg, Molly Mason, Jerry Douglas, and Jim Sutherland

30. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Great version. I love YouTube.
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Makes me want to holler.... yee haw!
  32. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Feelin' the Texan comin' out in ya, eh, Lass?
  33. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Maybe some of that is due to the fact that I have been in Texas for the last 2 1/2 weeks... where it's been over 100 degrees EVERY day! The last several days, I've been in Austin, helping my son move, and every afternoon, I've seen the thermometer on my car read 110! I can't wait to get back to Iowa, where a heat wave is the low 90's!
  34. Marcus CA
    Marcus CA
    This group is such a valuable resource!!! A couple of weeks ago, a buddy of mine walked me through this tune. I didn't think I had heard it before, but it turned out that I didn't recognize it as the tune on the Skip, Hop, and Wobble album because that was like a 78 rpm version of the gorgeous tune that my buddy played. I had to dig pretty far back in the threads, but I was able to find the music and videos here. It's great!
  35. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Here's a waaayyy back for you. We played a contra Saturday and this was one of the first up. An awesome time.
  36. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What fun, and what great music you guys make!
  37. Alex Orr
    Alex Orr
    Here's one I learned just for the hell of it, then introduced to the guys I play with. Our fiddle player was quite familiar with it (the guy seemingly knows hundreds of tunes) but it was new to everyone else. I actually learned it with slightly different phrases in certain parts, but gradually had to change it around once our banjo player started really getting into the tune and forcing us to play it at "banjo speed".

38. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Glad you brought this one back Alex.
    Reminds me it's on my list.
    Your mando is a nice whiskey brown color.
    'That' reminds me it's 5 o'clock. Gotta go.
    Gary
  39. Alex Orr
    Alex Orr
    And if that wasn't suggestion enough GK, I'm also wearing a Whiskeytown t-shirt

Cheers!
  40. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Steve Cantrell and Band, great music. Good job, Alex. Can't do it so fast yet.
    This is probably the tune for which I have needed the most takes. There was always a flub in the B part on one of the pinky notes. This one should work now. Backup is from Butch's CD:

41. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well done Manfred. I've been working on this tune off and on for some time and I have to say, you are doing well with it. Guess I should get busy.
  42. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well done Manfred thats pretty neat
    this is a tune i used to love jamming when i played my banjo. I have a loose version of it on mando but you have prompted me to get on and sort it out properly
  43. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice slides and double stops, Manfred. I've got to learn this one.
  44. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, guys. I play note for note the version in the late "Butch Baldassari's Mandolin for Practice and Repertoire". A great resource! On the accompanying CDs he plays the tunes 'slowly' and 'up to tempo'.
  45. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I made a version of this tune and noticed this thread. A little late maybe..

46. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great playing, Hendrik. You really make me want to learn this one.
  47. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Thanks Marcelyn. With the backingtracks from Dave it's so much fun to play this stuff. He makes backingtracks for everyone who will use it. http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.nl/ Right click the your favorite speed and you can download them.
  48. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Never too late to post a fine piece of playing, Hendrik. Great tone and playing here and the backing is super.
  49. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice version, Hendrik. And expertly played - as always.
  50. jonny250
    jonny250
    We played this fun little tune yesterday, just recorded on a point and shoot camera so not great sound - we were having fun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast