Week #232 ~ Lad O'Beirne's

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is Lad O'Beirne's, which was submitted as an Irish Traditional Jig. I'm not familiar with it.

There is also a reel and a hornpipe by the same name. Here is what I've been able to find. If anyone else has any links, please add them!

From The Fiddler's Companion:

LAD O'BEIRNE'S (JIG). AKA and see “Baby Gavin,” “Burke’s [1],” “Charlie Mulvihill’s (Jig) [1],” “Connie O’Connell’s Jig [2],” “Gallagher’s [2],” “Matt Molloy’s (Jig),” “The Short Road,” “The Silver Vale.” Irish, Jig. D Major. Standard tuning. AA'BB.

This is from thesession.org

Lad O’Beirne’s jig

Also known as Connie O’Connell’s, The Hare In The Corn, Neil Doherty’s, Raccoon Cap, Racoon Cap, The Returned Yank, The Short Road, The Silver Vale.

There are 133 recordings of a tune by this name.

One setting

X: 1
    T: Lad O'Beirne's
    R: jig
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    K: Dmaj
    A|:dAF AGF| dAF AGF| A,CE GFG| A,CE GFE|
    DFA DGB| Adc d2e| fed cBA|1 GFE D2A:|2 GFE D2e|
    |:fef afa| fdd d2f| ece gfg| efd cde|
    ~f3 gfg| a2a bag| fed cBA|1 GFE D2e:|2 GFE D2A :|

I'm about to hit the road, and wasn't able to find a You Tube video example....
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I couldn't find Lad O'Beirne's as a jig on YouTube, but here are some examples listed as AKA's from thesession.org. They seem to be related tunes and bear a likeness to the abc file that Barbara listed above.

This one is Connie O'Connell's:

Here's The Hare In The Corn:

Finally, The Returned Yank (the second tune in this set of two):

3. Eddie Sheehy
    You know, if the person who proposed this tune is still around perhaps they could let us know if it's the jig (rare) or the reel (more common) they intended. And also perhaps the proposers of tunes could post a vid or MP3 of their tunes when they come up in the Poll so we know what we're voting for...
  4. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Good idea!
  5. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Don't forget the hornpipe version.
  6. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    It appears in the jig form on track 7 of Foinn Seisiun 2 trad irish sessions CD. I appreciate that may not be much use if you don't own the CD but I think it should be possible to listen to an extract of it on the itunes store.
  7. Francis J
    Francis J
    This is the jig. http://thesession.org/tunes/644 Ill try to get a recording up tomorrow, when Im off work.
    Here's the tune from the Irish music organisation's (comhaltas) site. http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/lad_o_beirnes/
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey, I'm all good with saying, to heck with it, and submit your Lad O'Beirnes, as a jig, hornpipe, or reel! That should make things easier!
  9. Francis J
    Francis J
    It seems Lad O'Beirne was a bit of a lad when it came to naming tunes. There seem to be scores of them, all known by other names as well. This is the one form the Cómhaltas Ceoltoirí Éireann link I quoted above. Here's my take, not a rare one at all around here Eddie! ..........on the Joe Foley Mandolin and Bouzouki, and a Gibson TB3 Tenor banjo. A little bit of a challenge in the A part. Here it is..

10. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    you done a great job there Francis,i enjoyed that.
    Lawrence.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two interesting versions, David and Francis. Jig or reel, both work well here.
  12. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great versions from David and Francis.
    Now my attempt at the jig.
    Played on a Tom Buchanan Irish Bouzouki and Jimmy moon Mandolin.

13. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    When I get home, I can find a link to what you are looking for.
  14. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
  15. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Francis and James found the correct tune I was looking for when submitting this tune.
  16. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Francis and James- nice backing on both your versions of the jig; the bouzouki sounds really great. And David has given us the chance to compare the reel.
    Here's my attempt at the jig without any backing.
  17. laura809
    laura809
    Nice work Maudlin. That had a nice groove to it. I enjoyed the other versions as well. I finally got a chance to check this tune out today. This is just a slow quickly put together version, but I was happy just to get something in, even if I'm a little late.
  18. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    This was the very first tune I learnt on the tenor banjo, at the time I knew it as Sonny Brogan's.

19. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Such a happy tune to play.
  20. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job, and lovely tone from your mandolin (which of course is also down to you!)