Week #231 Planxty Fanny Powers

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    After a close race, this week's winner is Fanny Power, or Planxty Fanny Powers, by Turlough O'Carolan. I'll bet it's one most of us are familiar with.

Here's ABC notation from the Traditional Tune Archive
    X:2
    T:Fanny Power
    T:Planxty Fanny Powers
    C:Turlough O'Carolan
    S:The Carolan Albums, Maire Ni Chathasaigh
    Z:Nigel Gatherer
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:G
    z|G2 D G>AB|c2 B A2 G|G>FE D>ED|F2 G A>Bc|
    B>AG B>cd|e2 A A2 G|G>FE DGF|G2 G G2:|
    |:B|dB/c/d dB/c/d|GBG GBG|ec/d/e ec/d/e|AcA AcA|
    B>cd e>fg|fga dec|B>AG A/B/cF|G2 G G2:|]

Here's an excellent version by our own David Hansen...

And I've always liked this version by James Galway and the Chieftains...
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks for making me see how the color of my hair changed in only 4 years - I recorded this in 2009.

You'll notice that I had the camera connected to the much-too-slow USB-1 hub back then.
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Also from 2009 - on a Gypsy OM...

4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Fanny Power is a lovely tune -- here's a version I recorded a few months ago, based on three-part harmonies from David James (Link).

Using two mandolins (Gibson Ajr and Washburn M-3SW), Mid-Mo octave mandolin and tenor guitar rhythm. For variety, I alternate the lead between the Ajr and the OM.

Martin
  5. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    A lovely tune to sit and play with friends in the evening.
  6. Francis J
    Francis J
    I've spent the last hour and a half struggling with Pilgrim's Knob, and although I havn't given up, I need a long break. So when this tune won the poll I had to..........

7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    No mandolin in this version. My friends Harry and his wife Hilda do the same thing as we for "de trekzakpagina" (sort of accordeoncafe in Holland) and worked on their tune of the month. In june they played Fanny Power

8. jonny250
    jonny250
    Francis that was amazing! i enjoyed how you developed it through each time
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting variety of arrangements and playing on this choice, including the two boxes. It is the old story of a good tune being able to be presented in so many ways. My version has mandolin and tenor guitar with guitar backing, as below:

[mp3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107518&d=1380625377[/mp3]
  10. Francis J
    Francis J
    Thank you jonny250, I suppose I've been playing that tune for a lot of years, and always enjoy it. You're so right about the tune John, it's hard to beat a good tune!
  11. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice and easy listening John! I forgot to say you did also very wel on that tune Francis, how's your progression with the "Pilgrim's knob"?
    My compliments to all the older versions... Where did you guys find that almanac for al the future SAW tunes? I might record a couple of 100 tunes coming weeks

B.t.w. no Fanny Powers for me this week. I'm struggling with the Sam bush version of "Cattle in the Cane" witch was the SAW tune in week#30. I love that tune, but it's hard to play it with Sam Bush speed..
  12. jonny250
    jonny250
    As Luurtie says, vry nice and easy listening JohnK
    I'm short on time this week, but wanted to have a go, so there's quite a few woopsies in here:
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Some neat improvising going on there, Jonny!
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Jonny, you'll be visited by three ghosts tonight, representing O'Carolan past, present and future. All three of them will squint their eyes and say "that tune sounds familiar to me, where have I heard that before?" and you'll feel persuaded into giving a donation to tiny Tim
  15. Francis J
    Francis J
    Full marks Jonny, nice variations and always found your way home! Bertram, I love your witty comments, sharp as a razor Luurtie, I always find bluegrass challenging, especially Monroe tunes, which are really different to my ear. What I have to do is listen through maybe 10 or 15 times, then breaking it down into its parts, I start to play it very slowly (that's where I'm at now) Then I leave it for a week and try it again.............sometimes I forget to try again!!
  16. jonny250
    jonny250
    lol Bertram it took me a while but i get you i think all 3 ocarolans will be turning in their graves! i will pay my pennance shortly... i'm going to a 'Folk' session in a couple of weeks and this tune and also one other that we did on SAW will be on the lineup, so i'd better get it sorted and slowed... just needs a squeeze box added right?
  17. laura809
    laura809
    Wow Jonny! Those were very tasteful variations. I enjoyed all of the other versions as well.
  18. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Well done Laura. I agree with John Kelly that a great tune embraces so many versions.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Very good interpretation of the tune there, Laura; great tone
  20. jonny250
    jonny250
    very nicely done Laura - guitar and mando both sound great.
  21. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

A very intricate version, Johnny; and nice guitar backing from Laura.
    This arrangement in G is from the Hal Leonard method by Rich DelGrosso.
    I have used his spelling for the title.
  22. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Manage Attachments

Planxty Fanny Power 030510 lrc.mp3 (2.51 MB)
    Here is a link to Tosh Marshall playing a 3 part arrangement in A by Christine Martin. He did this some years ago.
  23. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
  24. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Has it really been that long since this was song of the week? Sorry!

25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Dennis, delicate and pastoral just like the great O'C. intended it to be (or so I suppose )
  26. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've already uploaded a previous arrangement of this tune earlier in this thread, but have recently come across a different three-part harmony arrangement originally for flutes at:

http://celtnofue.com/PDF/Fanny_Power.pdf

My earlier arrangement was in 3/4, this one is in 6/8 and despite using exactly the same mandolin quartet instrumentation it has quite a different feel.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin
    Washburn M-3SW mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin/bouzouki
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  27. crisscross
    crisscross
    Nice versions of this Planxty-tune so far. As Martin stated, it is notated either in 3/4 or 6/8.
    I played a quick 3/4 version that I found here http://www.arcelts.com/bbot1/t572.htm, and added some chords:
  28. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Nice CC. Very nice.
  29. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    A belated Thank You, Ginny. Today, I wanted to practice some steel-string flatpicking backup on my slope shoulder dreadnought and I chose Fanny Power in the version of the Ottawa Ceili Band. Some of the melody's eighth notes are placed an eighth note later than those in most other versions. At first, that seemed a bit unnatural, but I just played it like it's notated.(Or at least, I tried). The B-part has some interesting chord progressions that I played with a descending bassline, like the Dead's Ripple.
    So please excuse, that you have to stomach two times the same tune from me, but the new one is a little different:
  30. Sherry Cadenhead
    Sherry Cadenhead
    Christian, I really enjoyed this version. I don't see your previous post.
  31. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A worthy update, Christian. The steel strings add something to the mix and your arrangement and playing are well up there with your usual standards.
  32. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Sherry and Johm. My previous post is just above. I was crisscross back then, but I changed that to my real first name.
  33. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Both your recordings are very enjoyable, Christian. The differences between the versions are quite interesting.