John O'Connor

1. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Another O'Carolan tune, this one being new to me is a three part jig in G. Played on my Sobell mandolin with some pleasing photos. I dedicate this one to my mother who died today.

Here's the abcs:

X:114occ
    T:John O'Connor
    C:Turlough O'Carolan (1670-1738)
    I:abc2nwc
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:G
    C:ALLEGHRETTO
    D|G2G FED|E2F G2A|B2G c2A|B2G cBA|Bcd EGE|FGA DFD|GFE AFD|G3G2||
    d|ded def|g3g3|cdB cdc|e3e3|dcB c2A|Bcd D2D|EFG AFD|G3G2||
    G|BGE EGE|AFD DFD|EGE F/2G/2AG|F3D3|Bcd dBG|cde ecA|GFE AFD|G3G2|]
  2. WillFly
    WillFly
    David - beautifully played - and my commiserations over your Mum's passing. Mine passed in February this year (age 90) so I understand some of the emotions at this time.

Will
  3. Francis J
    Francis J
    A beautiful tribute David. Condolences to you and your family on your loss, and to you too Will. Music is such a good medium to pay tribute to a loved one, and you've done it so well David.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fine tune and great playing as always, David. My deepest sympathies go to you on your loss, and to Will. As Francis says, music is a great way to remember someone special.
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    beautiful playing as ever David and very sorry for your loss.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    There is no tribute more moving than a piece of music, played so beautifully. And those pictures are gorgeous! Your mother will surely rest in peace with such a nice dedication to her.
  7. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Such beautiful music on a very sad day. My condolences to you and your family David.
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a beautiful tune David. I'm sure it's an especially meaningful tribute to your mom since she had the joy of watching your musicianship grow over the years. You're in our thoughts and prayers.
  9. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Thanks for sharing another great O'Carolan tune, beautiful playing as always. My thoughts are with you and your family. I took up playing music in the last few years and regret my parents never hearing me play. Be proud and strong. Peace
  10. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    David - Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute at such a tender time in your life. Please accept my condolences as well.
  11. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    John O'Connor by Turlough O'Carolan
  12. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Very nicely done.
  13. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    Thanks David. I regret my amateur abilities keep me from playing this at the correct speed but the tune does adapt well to my slow version.
  14. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as the correct speed and the mark of a good tune is that it sounds good at any speed. I think you got this one nailed.
  15. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    David, I've been listening more to this tune since you first posted it and just had to have a try at it. No enhancements or backing this time, just straight recording.
    The mandolin is one I have just completed, with cherry back and sides and a cedar top.

16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I am deeply convinced that we all meet again and again, and therefore I am not really good at condolences. The sunny mood of this piece seem to express a similar view, because none of you succeeded in making it a sad tune. Fine and distinguished versions all.

John, that mandolin has a particularly spikey cackling to it, pleasantly punching my eardrums. Outstanding!
  17. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done John. I agree with Bertram on the sound of the mandolin, I just can't express it as eloquently.
  18. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    I think O'Carolan, a man who composed to honor people, would agree that was a great tribute David.
  19. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    John O'Connor revisited... one year later.
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, dustyamps! Always good to hear a tune played on just a solo instrument as you do here. Some fascinating slides in your video too.