Considering buying a Poe. Advice?

1. KeithDudding
    KeithDudding
    I joined the Poe/Driftwood Owners group so I could post this question to you.

I am a POEtential owner (see what I did there?), but have not bought yet. I've spent time looking at the gallery and listening to the sound clips on Andy's website. I've seen his instruments at Carmel Music and other dealers. I've exchanged emails with Andy about the kind of mandolin I'd be interested in. What I've not done is seen or played one of his mandolins.

So, tell me about your Poe mandolins. I fully expect to see a flurry of love letters to Andy's building skills, the quality of his instruments, etc. And if so, bring them on. Right now, all I know about Poe mandolins is what I've seen and, to a lesser extent, heard. I'm just trying to fill the gap. Any insights you care to offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Hi Kieth and welcome to the group. I'd be happy to oblige by pointing you to the testimonial I wrote on Andy's web site: http://www.poestrings.com/testimonials.html
    My Poe is #16. Many of the other testimonials are from fellow Cafe members. Feel free to ask additional questions. What musical genres do you play?
  3. KeithDudding
    KeithDudding
    I had read your testimonial and admired #16. I had talked to Andy about building an A-5 similar to yours. Mostly, I play old-time music -- fiddle tunes and the like. I play bluegrass only when I happen to be in a jam session where other people are playing bluegrass, but I don't consider myself a "bluegrass" player.
  4. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Hi Keith, I own Poe #8, an oval hole A Model, this style is perfect for old time. While I play a lot of bluegrass, I had my mandolin tailored to a more modern sound, that is not too "tubby" sounding for an Oval hole. You can see and here clips of mine on Andy's site. If decide to have one built, you won't be disappointed !
  5. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Keith,
    Amandalyn's #8 would be more suited to your playing style than my #16. Mine has the punch of a good bluegrass axe, and I have other mandos I prefer for ITM and fiddle tunes. The wood choice is important (for instance, the back on mine is stiff and dense), and Andy is very good at designing to meet your preferences.