Week #227 ~ Old Copperplate

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Old Copperplate, which was submitted as an Irish Traditional reel. I'm not familiar with this tune.

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org

Here is some standard notation and abc from abcnotation.com

And another on abcnotation.com

Here's a video on YouTube with the late John McGann playing mandolin

Here's another YouTube video of a live performance of the tune.

and yet another!

2. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Hate to admit it, but after listening to the McGann (RIP) version, I am scared to attempt this tune. Of course I will just have to try.
  3. jonny250
    jonny250
    lol, yes, that John McGann could really play that thang!
  4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Am I up first this week? Post in haste, repent at leisure.

5. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Repentance has come sooner than expected. Second try:

6. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Couldn't get your first try to play so I don't know how much you improved but well done with the second attempt anyway James. We used to play this a year or two back but it seemed to fall out of favour. Here it is though.
  7. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    lovely sound there mm. I only had one attempt, in my haste to be first i couldn't get it to load first time.
  8. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Edit! I'll do another shortly.
  9. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Wow, it's been a while since I've posted. Found a little extra time this weekend up in the mountains of Colorado to learn a new tune on the campfire mandolin!
  10. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nicely done Aaron, I hope your not going to make a campfire out of that mandolin, it's sounds pretty good to me. My camera quit recording before I was done playing and I didn't want to redo it so you'll see some old copperplate at the end of the video.

11. dusty miller
    dusty miller

Great versions everyone. Here is mine on a Kentucky mandolin. My first one was poke your ears out slow so I did another.
  12. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I really struggle with these type of tunes; mainly a timing thing. I really like this tune and will add it to my playlist for further development. Unfortunately that list is quite long!! Anyway, here is my attempt.

13. jonny250
    jonny250
    good going you guys! sasquatch i know what you mean about a list of songs for further development
  14. Francis J
    Francis J
    Well lone to everybody so far, this is such a favourite of mine. I've recorded this on my Joe Foley mandolin, with bouzouki and bass.
  15. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Well done everybody. I think I finally figured out why Youtube distorts my videos so this one seems a lot cleaner although not in the Daivd Hansen category (love your sound). Not sure as to what the Old Copperplate specifically refers to but it conjured up images of steam trains for me. I suspect the Trad Irish purists will cringe with my take on the tune:

16. laura809
    laura809
    I was wondering what "old copperplate" was referring to as well woodenfingers. A train seems like a pretty good guess. Was that a harmonica in there? Very nicely done. Francis, those were very interesting accompaniment parts from your other instruments. It gave your version a very different feel from many of the others. There were lots of other great versions too. Great job everybody.
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    So many fine versions, all spiced to the intricate taste of Irish music connoisseurs.
    I just serve bangers & mash, as usual:

Believe it or not, it's a first take, because it's so warm upstairs here on this late summer's evening that I couldn't do another one.

As for the meaning of "copperplate", I rather think it has more to do with printing plates (a script style being named after that) than with trains. Trains have less of a romantic connotation in Ireland that they have in the US, I'm afraid.
  18. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great versions all round but Bertram's bangers and mash gets my vote - superb and probably all the better for being the first take.
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks James - as you said: post in haste...
  20. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Laura - yup, that's my harmonica, tried to be a little subdued with it but you have to have a harmonica with a train involved...

Bertram - so that's what Copperplate is. Would never have guessed. Suppose I could have googled it. I assumed something like a dinner plate (copper poisoning), or a decorative plate, to hang on a wall. Not even really sure how I get trains out of it except that there was a major rail line in these parts called the Nickel Plate. I think other rail lines also used the name "XXX Plate". Not sure where that comes from either except that the rails were spiked down through steel plates... And bangers and mash are great but haven't had them in years. I hope things have cooled down a bit for you.
  21. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    good to see this one come up, i use to play it a lot but had forgotten it, i've enjoyed relearning it and listening to everyone recordings, well done all.

22. cwboal
    cwboal
    A lot of nice versions posted on this so far; I'll try go get one loaded in the next day to so. It often takes me a while in that I try to get them down by ear and my ears aint so good ;-)
  23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Ah, one of my "bugbear" tunes ... that is, one that I have spent a lot of time practising without getting anywhere at all. It's a beautiful melody. Maybe it's time to dig this one out again. Great renditions here!