Week #222 ~ Back Up and Push

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Back Up and Push, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune. I am not familiar with the tune.

A You Tube search reveals many submissions, calling it a fiddle tune.

This one has a good closeup view of the mandolin....

Here is some standard notation and abc from abcnotation.com (Mandozine)
  2. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a lesson tape of Jethro Burns playing Back Up & Push just to show what's possible on the mandolin...

http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/OCo...p_and_Push.mp3

It's from a collection entitled: Jethro Burns Mandolin Lesson Tapes. It's free and a wonderful insight into the playing of Jethro Burns who was a master of the instrument.

http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/index.html
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Michael, thanks for pointing me towards Jethro.
    I just checked out the notation in his book and request to make this a "tune for 4 weeks".
    That's about how much it's gonna take me to play it in slow motion.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I hear you Manfred! And he made it sound so effortless – a sure sign of a true master of the mandolin...
  5. Alex Orr
    Alex Orr
    Oh well, someone has to go first

Also, the melody to Back Up and Push is basically the same as the old novelty jazz standard, Rubber Dolly.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice, Alex. Way to get the ball rolling. I'm going to learn that fun variation for the B part you did.
  7. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job Alex. Manfred, I know what you mean about this being a 4 week tune. I was hesitant to vote for it because I've looked at that B section before.
  8. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job Alex. That was a very solid performance. Manfred, I know what you mean about this being a 4 week tune. I was hesitant to vote for it because I've looked at that B section before.
  9. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    I have always loved this tune since playing back-up guitar for fiddle players years ago. I agree with you all on the complexity of this one. I have been working on this tune since last Thursday. It is super fun but super tough. Looking forward to hearing eveyones renditions.
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice job Alex. I used an electric 5 string mandolin on this one and backed it up on acoustic guitar with a few swing chords. The mojolin mandolin is built from a kit I ordered at MoongazerMusic.com. It was tuned E A D G C and the low C string sure made it easier to play this tune (but not too much.)

11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    What a fun swing sound. It's a great arrangement with the second B part being extra impressive.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That is a very cool electric mando, I love it. It really suits you.
  13. laura809
    laura809
    I love the sound of that electric mandolin. That was also and excellent arrangement. Here is my straight forward slow version based on the arrangement in Steve Kaufman's Bluegrass Workout volume 2.
  14. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Excellent picking from Alex and Michael and
    well done Laura you managed that tricky B part.
    I could only get it with fingerpicking. This arrangement by Guy Tarebergeron.
  15. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Fantastic, Michael! What am I doing playing my boring, unplugged mandolin? I'm going to join a swing band, right now. And thanks for the link to Jethro's version. What a player!
  16. Alex Orr
    Alex Orr
    Nice picking Laura. I didn't know there was a Kaufman arrangement. I really need to invest in those bluegrass workout vids.

Michael, I also agree with the others, that is some sweet playing on a sweet sounding e-mando. Several years back I got a Rono for a great price and have watched it gather dust nearly ever since in a corner by an unused amp. It's a shame because it actually has a great jazzy sound. Of course living in a small apartment doesn't really lend itself to electrified playing, but you've got me thinking I should try it out for at least one tune and post it. Honestly, though, it's been so long since I plugged in that I'm not even sure I have a cable

Cool to see some mando fingerpicking Maudlin.
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely played Laura -- now that you've mastered the tricky B part you can use it in lots of other songs too!

Maudlin -- nicely fingerpicked.

Alex: I have a couple of nice amps but when recording the 5 string mandolin I plugged straight into the recorder and used no amp. When I mixed the final song down I used a copy of Peavey's ReValverMkIII-Live software on my computer as a plug-in and was able to select from dozens of amps, stomp boxes, speaker simulations and effects boxes to digitally emulate a real amp for my recorded mandolin track. It works nicely -- if you want to try it I'd suggest a powerful computer as the ReValver is quite a memory hog... and it was all done thru the earphones so no one else in the house even knew I was recording.
  18. jonny250
    jonny250
    Great work you guys Laura did you already know this song? you got it sorted really well!
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Alex Orr, thanks for setting a first example. Great job in the shortest possible time.
    Michael, emando or not, this is another proof of your great musicality and musicianship.
    Maudlin, always good for a surprise, nice job.
    Laura, very pleasant arrangement, great picking, especially in the second part.
    I was serious when I requested the 4-week extension.
    The version in the Jethro book (and the accompanying recording) is different from the one Michael linked to above. The first run through is double stops only, second has arpeggios with some very jazzy chords, and the third has all the hammer-ons.
  20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Manfred, I'm taking advantage of the extension you asked for on this song too. I'm really looking forward to hearing yours.
    That's a jazzy arrangement Laura. I really like it.
    Maudlin, cool picking, and nice work on the B part.
  21. Alex Orr
    Alex Orr
    Michael, that powerful computer thing might be an issue. Yet another reason I kick myself almost daily for trying to save a few hundred bucks a few years back when I picked up an ASUS laptop (that has been awful) over making the plunge and buying a Mac
  22. laura809
    laura809
    Manfred, that Jethro book is particularly difficult. I bought it a while back. The arrangements made me gain respect for his expertise on the instrument, but I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle any of them myself. Jonny, I had looked at tabs for this one before, but had never really worked on it until this week.
  23. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Everytime I've heard a version by Jethro Burns it seems that it's in a different key. I suspect that he was one of those players who could play in any key he needed to and was especially good at improvising... which would explain why no two breaks sound the same!
  24. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Jethro was the 'Man'.
    I've taken several lessons with Don Stiernberg.
    Jethro's #1 student.
    And Brian Oberlin. Don's student.
    They both teach Jethro's style.
    After about an hour my brain hurts and my eyes glaze over.
  25. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Here is a shortened version of one tough little tune. May explore this one later when I get set up to play rhythm tracks. I struggled to play some portions of the song without some back-up so I played a portion. Great jobs by all whom have posted thus far.

26. jonny250
    jonny250
    Superb Sasquatch, and i like the ending lick too
  27. laura809
    laura809
    For someone missing parts of the song, that arrangement sounded really thorough to me. Very nice.
  28. GHall
    GHall
    My daughter learned this one on the fiddle and came up with a mandolin version