Initial California Bluegrass Mandolin Pickers message

1. mandozilla
    mandozilla
    Hello fellow California Bluegrass Mandolin Pickers! I think this could be a very useful resource for us...sometimes I feel like there is no mando 'life' out here but I know there are quite a few of us...whataya say? Ideas?
  2. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Count me in!
  3. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    I am a newbie but i'm around and interested
  4. mandozilla
    mandozilla
    Hi Greg
    Welcome. Are you going to the Parkfield BG festival? If so, keep an eye out for Mandolin Cafe ball caps...I'll be under one of them. Mandopixie can't make it but will be performing at Topanga B**jo and Fiddle contest in a couple of weeks.
  5. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Thanks for spreading the word, 'zilla - it's going to be a great day this year. There's a splendid line-up of artists performing, in addition to the usual display of young talent - including the sixteen-year-old fiddler in my own band!
    topangabanjofiddle.org
  6. KSpez
    KSpez
    Another newbee here....so new in fact, my 1st mando in on the brown truck right now on it way to my home....Been wanting to play the mando since I was a little kid...but got side tracked with the guitar...

I am in the Sacramento Area....
  7. KCrook
    KCrook
    Cool to see this group being formed! I am a Mandolin player to be in the South Bay of LA, and I am glad to be part of the group!
  8. Curt Palm
    Curt Palm
    Hi, another beginner from Sacramento here. I, too, sometimes feels like California is a Mandolin backwater. Anyway, it'll be good to meet some others. KSpez - do you know about the Thursday night jams in the Folsom area?
  9. David Horovitz
    David Horovitz
    I'm in San Jose. As for the notion that California is a mandolin backwater, just consider that Mike Marshall, David Grisman, Evan Marshall, Tom Rozum, Tom Bekeny, Radim Zenkel, as well as many other notable pro-level pickers make their home here! Chris Thile also lived in SF for a time and was born and raised in CA.
  10. Curt Palm
    Curt Palm
    David,

You're right. I think of it as a backwater when it comes to music store selection and having many amateur players such as myself. There are many elite players that call California home, but that is a circle I'll never be in.
  11. J E Corrado
    J E Corrado
    Another Sacramento resident .....where you guys/gals been hiding?
  12. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    I was aiming for the Acoustic Cats' Bay Area when I came over from Blighty - but I overshot, and ended up in LA..
  13. Terry W. Harvey
    Terry W. Harvey
    Greetings,
    I'm up in Auburn, always looking for someone to jam with. give me a shout. The Father's Day festival will be here before we know it, who all's going to go?
  14. mandozilla
    mandozilla
    Hey Terry, I'd love to go but can't make it but I am going to Huck Finn that same weekend...both festivals seem to share the same acts.

I recently became reaquainted with and old friend who I first started pickin' bluegrass with back in high school. He goes to the FDF every year.

And, another friend who I sing duets with...and we're pretty good, if I do say so myself, is moving up near Grass Valley in a couple of weeks to start a dental practice. Anyway, that will give me more motivation to get my a** up there next year.
  15. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    Saw the Kin Folk play at Zooey's cafe last night. What a treat!
  16. mandozilla
    mandozilla
    Greg, who's in the Kin Folk? Do you attend the BG jams at Zoey's?
  17. Rick Albertson
    Rick Albertson
    Glad this group has formed. Though I live in CO, I own a small cabin in Wrightwood in the San Gabriel Mtns. northeast of LA. Will be there all of June and July. Hope to meet some of you at Huck Finn! I'm looking for any jams nearby for the summer.

Rick
  18. Greg Wilson
    Greg Wilson
    Phil Salazar, Tom Corbett etc...I haven't attended a jam yet but will soon.
  19. Chris Rogers
    Chris Rogers
    A shout out to everyone in the group from Berkeley, home of the Fifth String and a lively bluegrass community.
  20. cyeiser
    cyeiser
    Hello from the Mendocino coast.
  21. Pete Hicks
    Pete Hicks
    Hi there, California mandolinists. Around the Bay area and in Santa Cruz there are a whole flock of fine mandolinists. There is also regular live bluegrass in a number of restaurants and clubs. (Phil's in Moss Landing and Sam' Barbecue in San Jose.) We also have some very talented youngsters coming up.
  22. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I'm moving to Ventura Co. in the sometime in early 2010. Looking forward to checking out the scene and doing some jamming!
  23. Tony Avitua
    Tony Avitua
    Hi Everyone!

I thought I had posted on here once, but I don't see one that belongs to me. So, I thought I would drop in and say hi! I am a beginner mandolin player, since I just got my mandolin about a month ago. I have been messing around with guitars for a long time, but still a beginner guitar player. I do play the diatonic accordion a little better though. I live in Antelope (Sacramento) and need all the help I can get! I hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
    Tony
  24. toscano53
    toscano53
    Hey are you guys still breathin'? I'm Michael from Sebastopol, Sonoma County, with a familiar story.... Played guitar for ever until I realized every jam had a dozen or more. Switched to mandolin 2 years ago and ain't lookin' back. Anyone in my area?
  25. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Still pickin' (and still breathing) here!
  26. Billgrass
    Billgrass
    Hello from Santa Monica! Uncle Fred at McCabes stokes the mando flame 'round here.
  27. Paul Statman
    Paul Statman
    Uncle Fred? Who dis? Sokolov? Gwynn? Mertz?
  28. Pookie
    Pookie
    Hi all, i am in Simi. anyone local and interested in getting together?
  29. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I'm in Camarillo and always up for picking a few tunes