Week #215 ~ Monroe's Hornpipe

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is Monroe's Hornpipe, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune. I'm not familiar with it.

Here are some videos:

Here's a link to notation on Traditional Music
  2. luurtie
    luurtie
    Josh Turner and Cole Gage are amazing on this. Josh Turner is incredible look him up on youtube...
    Monroe's Hornpipe starts at 1.40

3. justkaron
    justkaron
    Hendrick....I'm subscribed to Josh Turner's YouTube channel. I can be tired and out of sorts and all I have to do is think to go to Josh's channel and browse around and listen to his tunes and all seems better with my world. Just love that kid. He and his friends have some GOOD stuff on there!
  4. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Whilst we are on rounds of the the Josh Turner appreciation society can I just add my vote of approval. He and his friends have amazing talent for such young ones. I'm sure i bought my first mandolin before they were born and will never be able to play to their level.
  5. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Another great version of this tune is by the Bluegrass Album Band on the Vol. 6 Instrumentals. Going to post my first video this week if possible. Having a little tech trouble. This is a great tune.
  6. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
  7. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Sounds great, people learn them quick around here! ......Kris
  8. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was fast Tomothy, nice playing. I now know how hard the first part of the tune is.
    Here's my attempt..

9. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Great job Luurtie! I agree with you on the first part of the song. I still feel as if I am just not getting it the way I am hearing it. I need to make some rhythm tracks like you did. At least a metronome. Thanks for the compliment.
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done Sasquatch -- very smooth. Hendrick does a very nice job too! Now here's my attempt at Monroe's Hornpipe. It's played on my old Kentucky KM600 mandolin and backed up with a Simon & Patrick guitar and some chop chords from the mandolin.

11. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Love it Michael. You really played the melody with a lots of variations. I picked up some licks from your version. This is what I love so much about this forum. A great learning tool. Thanks
  12. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice variations Michael! I agree with Timothy, we can learn a lot from eachother..
  13. jonny250
    jonny250
    you all sound really good! nice versions of this tune
  14. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great versions from everyone and you've all been an inspiration for my own efforts, having initially given up on this one as being too difficult.
    Having cut some of the notes from the A part I've got a playable version but i'm not sure you would call it Bluegrass.

15. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Just about my speed James. It makes a perfect instructional video and sounds nice to boot.
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This is a pesky tricky little tune until you really get it down. Hats off to everyone who's tried it. Here's my go:

17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely played David. Sounds like the real deal.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks, Michael!
  19. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Ya, I'd say David got it down - very nice.