Bile/Boil them Cabbage Down

1. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Didn't see this one around, Played on a Michael Kelly. When the camera rolls all your musical ability leaves your body
  2. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    The camera did not seem to deprive you of your sense of time and groove, though! Nice steady bounce running through that old favorite tune.
  3. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Thanks Brent, you play them 8 million times and then the camera creates some vortex that does I don't know what to your playing....
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a great, toe-tapping rendition of the tune. I'm glad it finally got a thread. As for your title... You better say "bile" or you'll loose all credibility from the get go.
  5. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Of course there's scarce little way to capture in typed text the way someone from Ralph Stanley's neck of the woods would say it. Something like "Bile 'm c'b dun"...
  6. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    I thought it was Bile but then heard some others say boil. It says Bile on the Sam Bush dvd I learned it from.I guess I was trying to go the safe route. Looking forward to hearing some more skilled people give it a go.........Kris
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Just kidding--I've heard it both ways too.
  8. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Thanks Marcelyn
  9. justkaron
    justkaron
    This is mercifully short! (12 seconds!)
    Produced in Jan of 2012.

Played on my son's 'toy' mando before I bought the Eastman.

My mom just passed away in March and I look and sound so much like her in this video that it amazes me.

10. justkaron
    justkaron
    BTW Dusty...good job on playin' the tune! Glad you posted a thread for it.
  11. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Thanks Karon, Short and sweet, you should try that one on your Eastman. I don't think I've ever heard the words to that song, guess I have to many instrumentals of everything......Kris
  12. justkaron
    justkaron

Here Ya go, Kris...for some lyrics.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woah, Karon! You've been holding back on us. that's so fun! Why stop there? I agree with Kris--give us a longer one on your Eastman sometime. There are pobably a hundred verses to this, but The lyrics I know are like this.

Went up on the mountain
    Just to give my horn a blow
    Thought I heard my true love say
    Yonder comes my beau
    Bile them Cabbage down
    Turn them hoecakes round
    The only song that I can sing
    Is bile them cabbage down
    Took my gal to the blacksmith shop
    To have her mouth made small
    She turned around a time or two
    And swallowd shop and all
    Possum in a Simmon tree
    Raccoon on the ground
    Raccoon says you son-of-a-gun
    Shake some Simmon's down
    Someone stole my old 'coon dog
    Wish they'd bring him back
    He chased the big hogs through the fence
    And the little ones through the crack
    Met a possum in the road
    Blind as he could be
    Jumped the fence and whipped my dog
    And bristled up at me
    Once I had an old gray mule
    His name was Simon Slick
    He'd roll his eyes and back his ears
    And how that mule would kick
    How that mule would kick
    He kicked with his dying breath
    He shoved his hind feet down his throat
    And kicked himself to death

Here's one more hilarious verse I saw on the Toneway Mountain Music Collection http://toneway.com/songs/bile-them-cabbage-down
    Went to see my gal last night
    thought I'd do it sneakin'
    Missed her mouth and hit her nose
    and the doggone thing was leakin'
  14. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Thanks Marcelyn, Karon, That's a really cool version. It's Nice to hear it played that way. I usually spare my wife and dogs my singing voice or lack there of but always good to know. Maybe I'll try it when the house is empty, the dogs will have to leave the room I guess......Kris
  15. Sweetpea44
    Sweetpea44
    Dusty- do you have the music/tab for that? I know a simplistic version of that song, but I like that one better.
  16. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Sweatpea44, I do, it might take me a short time here to figure the best way to get it to you. I'll Pm It to you.