Week #214 ~ More Pretty Girls Than One

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is More Pretty Girls Than One, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune. I'm not familiar with this tune.

Eddie Sheehy found this You Tube Video:

If anyone has any more links, that would be great!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    One of my favorites is the Skaggs and Rice recording. The only bummer is that Ricky isn't playing mandolin on it. Here it is on Grooveshark...
    http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/There+s+...e/1RxTdb?src=5

One thing I found out today is that some people like to play this one as a waltz. Here's two versions in 3/4 time.

And back to 4/4 time, here's one more with some nice mandolin.
  3. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Who's that guy playing mandolin with Lyle?
    Can't see his face to well behind that microphone.
    But, that mandolin sure looks familiar.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    Watch the video, he moves into view... also check out Alison Krause and Mike Auldridge...
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You only really need to hear the chop.

If you can find the recording of this featuring a band supposedly called the "Little Grasscals" that has a killer version by Mike Compton. I think it's on iTunes or Amazon.
  6. justkaron
    justkaron
    A start....big issues with timing I realize....

Will be out of town for next four days and wanted to post something. Want to start posting on this thread.
    Forewarned Ya'll.
  7. justkaron
    justkaron
    Ummmmm....the bar isn't set too high on this one yet.
  8. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Fair play though Karon for an unaccompanied version. Keep posting.
    I've gone for the comfort of a guitar and mandolin backing to flesh it out a bit.
    Played on my Eastman 815
  9. justkaron
    justkaron
    Great rendition there James! Smooth playing on both mandolin and guitar.
    Now I can get to work trying to tab out some of what you're playing.

I'm thinking there'll be lots of good videos for this tune.
  10. luurtie
    luurtie
    Well done Karon, keep on playing! That sounded excellent James, that Eastman is a great sounding mandolin.

My version has vocals too, I hope you like it....

11. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Hendrik. A masterclass demonstration - so that's how you play bluegrass. I have much to learn.
  12. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    You can sing as well. Too much talent has been deposited in one place
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Excellent version, Hendrik! You really nailed that one, and I'm envious of your vocal range.
    James, I really enjoyed that instrumental version. It's such a pleasant arrangement. This week may be two in a row that you wouldn't have voted for or learned otherwise, but you have a knack for sounding excellent across a wide range of styles.
    Karin, so great to see another post from you. You're really coming along with the mandolin. I think you're right about the week. It's off to a great start.
  14. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Great bluegrass version, Hendrik!

I'm most familiar with this song through the 1940s Woody Guthrie recording in waltz time, covered fairly faithfully by Ramblin' Jack Elliott and by Arlo Guthrie. When looking to record it on mandolin, I found a nice mandolin tab transcription by Dix Bruce of a recording by The Highwoods String Band at Mel Bay's Mandolin Sessions site:

Link

This is fairly simple: one verse, one chorus, one mandolin break staying close to the melody, but played one octave up in third position. Recorded on my Washburn F-style with tenor guitar backing.

Martin
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice effort justkaron and I really like those blue notes!
    James: lovely playing on some great sounding instruments and a really nice recording.
    Hendrik, great job buddy!
    Martin, really nice tremolo and the great old pictures in your video certainly set the mood. One of my favorite old time bands is the Highwoods String Band. Here's their version:

16. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Michael -- thanks for digging out the Highwoods String Band version, which I hadn't checked out before recording. The melody and decorations are as transcribed by Dix Bruce, and therefore as in my recording, but their version is a fair bit faster. Mine is around 120bpm and I think theirs is about 150-160. I was tempted into the slower tempo by Dix's recommendation to use tremolo for everything longer than a quarter note. I like it slower, but it does change the character of the tune.

Martin
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I've got one:

18. luurtie
    luurtie
    Very entertaining video Martin, and I love that stringband version Michael!
    David, I love the way you make your mandolin breaks. You did it again! Although I love that new mandolin I would prefer your A-style more bluegrassy mandolin for this particular tune.
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Hendrik. You may well be right, I'm still very much in the experimental phase with this mando.
  20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's amazing, David and is packed with great variations. Thanks for all the ideas. I really like that mandolin's tone.
    Martin, I agree, you got a whole new feel to your version with that tempo, and it sounds very nice. Love the tremolo.
  21. laura809
    laura809
    After listening to a bunch of versions, it took me a while to decide whether I should record this in 4/4 or 3/4, and which key was best. I ended up choosing 4/4 in the key of C like the Doc Watson version that I had in my library. Thanks to Karon for starting us off. Lots of nice full arrangements this week. Great job James, Luurtie, Martin, and OS.
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Marcelyn. Great job, Laura, you're really exploring the fretboard there. Sounds like your kids have some other ideas for an "arrangement" there - excellent work under battlefield conditions!
  23. luurtie
    luurtie
    David's right about that, you deserve extra credits to play under such conditions. When I'm recording my whole family tries to be quiet, but there's always a phone ringing or someone at the back door. This is realy a good lesson for me, cause it freaks me out every time Well done Laura!
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Super variations, Laura, and really nice accompaniment too. I'm all too familiar with the livelier parts of your backup. I'm ashamed to say, the bribery has been pretty high to keep my house quiet enough for recording this week.
  25. laura809
    laura809
    Bribery is one of the most effective parenting tools I have found. I didn't even try to keep them quiet this week. I think I had four kids making all sorts of noise in the nearby pool. I just put the mic nice and close to my mandolin and figured the ambient noise would add character.
  26. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Well done Laura – and under "battlefield" conditions.

Old Sausage: love the new mandolin. It really looks cool and sounds really beautiful. It complements your other mandolins beautifully. (And I think you could make even a cigar box with rubber bands sound great.)
  27. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcy, Jeff & I wondered if we could get a recording of this song finished in a week... and we just squeezed it in on time. This is the Saw Mountain String Band with Marcy singing harmony and playing her fiddle. Jeff is on 5 string banjo and I sang lead, and played mandolin, guitar and bass. We went with a 3/4 time version.

28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Really good, guys, I think that's the best one yet.
  29. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    SAW Mtn String Band with another fine rendition. Well done.
  30. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow, I enjoyed that! I always wonder how jou manage to find such suitable photographs Michael!
  31. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    That is really nice! Great playing and singing and such a complete arrangement.

Martin
  32. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Outstanding performance from the resident band. I think the 3/4 time is a real winner - it changes the whole character of the music.
  33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks so much for the encouragement. I agree, James, I'm a 3/4 convert when it comes to this tune.
    What a great video, Michael.
  34. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Awesome performance folks!!
  35. justkaron
    justkaron
    Amazing work there from the Saw Mountain String Band.
  36. shortymack
    shortymack
    Great chemistry SMSB, loved it.
  37. laura809
    laura809
    That was lovely!
  38. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Marcy, Mike Jeff that was lovely! I need to find me a permanent group of players here in SA. Have a mandolin repertoire, but too few players. <smile>
    Your ensemble were sounding wonderfully professional!
  39. jonny250
    jonny250
    Some really good versions of this song this week - well done everyone
    Saw mountain SB - that was all great, and Marcelyn your voice is exceptional!
  40. pefjr
    pefjr
    Excellent to Outstanding. Isn't this the same melody as Mole in the ground?
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's certainly quite similar to Doc Watson's version of that tune, but there are differences. I really like the way Joe Walsh did that tune: