Week #213 ~ Crooked Stovepipe

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Crooked Stovepipe, which was submitted as a reel. I have minimal Internet access on my phone at the moment, so I will depend on some of our great members to link to some notation, ABC and videos!
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Apparently, this is a Canadian reel. Until the cavalry (i.e. abovementioned great members) arrive, I can give some first aid from thesession.org and two videos:

X: 1
    T: The Crooked Stovepipe
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Gmaj
    D2 |:G2 B2 Bc dB|G2 B2 Bc dB|G2 B2 e2 B2|d2 c2 c3A|
    F2 A2 AB cA|F2 A2 AB cd|e2 d2 e2 f2 |1G,2 [B2g2] [B2g2] D2:|2G,2 [B2g2] [B2g2] a2||
    |:b4 b2 a2|g3 g g2 f2|e2 e2 f2 g2|a4 a2 b2|
    c'4 c'2 a2|f3 f f2 e2|d2 ^d2e2 f2|g2 ^g2 a2 ^a2|
    b4 b2 a2|g3 g g2 f2|e2 e2 f2 g2|a4 a2 b2||
    c'4 c'2 a2|f3 f f2 e2|d2 ^d2e2 f2|1G,2 [B2g2] [B2g2] a2:|2 G,2 [B2g2] [B2g2] z||

3. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I guess this is what song a week is all about - playing tunes you have no previous knowledge of. Mine has ended up sounding a bit calypso so I'll be interested in others interpretations. I've gone very early on this one so it is a bit rough around the edges. Played on an Eastman 815.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram <faithful, great member> to the rescue! Thanks!
  5. luurtie
    luurtie
    I didn't like any version I found, and didn't like that tune at all, until I heard your version James. Your version is wonderful, I start practising tomorrow..
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    James, that Calypso thing seems to be a harmony symptom buried in the tune itself. Your accompaniment/rhythm only pronounced it a little more, but I doubt that the faint whiff of steel drums, rum and palm trees can be fully removed by any rendition.
    I think that's why this is not really my cup of tea - I don't like coconuts.
  7. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    I have to agree, the tune is definitely not my cup of tea - I voted for Roisin Dubh! I'm only 3 weeks in to song a week but I've already appreciated the opportunity to play something that I wouldn't normally look twice at and try to do something with it which interests me. I think I will start voting for tunes I don't like from now on, I think that will make me a better musician.
  8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    You have managed to make the tune quite attractive, James, and I am sure that the rhythm plays a great part in this. Fine effort from someone only three weeks into the SAW group.
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I think you just have summer vacation on the brain. That tune couldn't be any happier unless it had a beach chair and piña colada to go with it. How fun!
  10. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    I agree with all, great rendition James. I kept waiting for Jimmy Buffett to break in.
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I think you're absolutely right James, nothing has taught me more than playing tunes I didn't think I would like.
  12. Eddie Sheehy
    Wastin' away again in Margaritaville...
  13. luurtie
    luurtie
    I noticed you can play this tune in canon This is what I recorded on the couch with my tascam DP-004

[MP3=]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=102508&d=1369589058[/MP3]
  14. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    This is amazing and what left field thinking was going on that made you realise you could approach it like this? Have you given this treatment to other tunes? This could be a whole new genre, though I'm not sure it's what Bach had in mind all those years ago.
  15. luurtie
    luurtie
    I'm glad at least someone likes it James, my wife escaped out of the house while I was playing it. I hope she'll come back
  16. Eddie Sheehy
    Now I definitely gotta try it, Luurtie...
  17. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ingenious Hendrik, just ingenious. Basically you can do this with every tune that has the same chords in each part. Butterfly is one of those.
    However, your version at last delivered me from the nagging feeling of knowing the basic tune from somewhere: it's Johnny Lad.
  18. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hendrik, well done!! James has his fiery calipso version and Hendrik is firing off his canons and I must say that I love both versions. However, full disclosure here, I am a Canadian and despite living in the US for half my life I still support the old Home team. So mine is 'traditional' so ye all who didn't like the youtube versions best turn back now. I found conflicting info as to whether the tune is French Canadian or Newfie but I suspect more Newfie so I am going with that for the video. Newfoundland is the eastern most province of Canada and is known as "The Rock" to the Newfoundlanders (Newfies) who live there. It has a maritime heritage with largely Irish, Scot, and French ancestry and hence their music. The button accordion is a well used instrument there which gives me occasion to yet again drag out my old squeezebox. I hope you like my version, but if you don't then that's fine too.

BTW: I didn't vote for this tune either...
  19. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Woodenfingers, I must admit that this is the least Caribbean version I've heard so far - no wonder, from a Canadian (which part are you from? I have been in Ontario once, decades ago - had relations in Stoney Creek). OTOH, now Johnny Lad is more pronounced in the B part, to my ears; I guess it's one of those transatlantic contagious things.

I begin to wonder when someone will fess up who voted for this tune and post a video...
  20. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow, I like the chords you used Bob. It sounds completely different, this way it's almost a nice tune
  21. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Bertram: I grew up west of Toronto, Ontario. Closest town was Port Credit. Now that whole area is called Mississauga. Slightly longer story, my dad was born in Glasgow and my mum in London, Eng. They moved to Canada in 1948 after the war. I came along a few years later. So I am a bit Scot although it doesn't seem to help me much in trying to figure out the words to Johnny Lad - but you are correct the tune sounds familiar. Also, I have been by Stony Creek many times as it was on our route to Niagara Falls which we would occasionally visit.

Hendrik: Thanks for your comment although I am surprised you could hear the chords. I fumbled enough with the guitar that I tried to cover it up with the accordion. I believe in Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound". It helps cover up mistakes...
    Did your wife ever come back?
  22. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Now doesn't that just take the biscuit, Bob. We might have passed each other on the Queen Elizabeth Hwy without ever knowing
    The words of Johnny Lad are mostly funny nonsense - it's like a singalong where everybody invents his own verse on the fly.
  23. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Clips of a couple of well-known Canadian fiddlers playing this tune. Enjoy!

Ned Landry

and Andy DeJarlis

24. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    My amateur version. My videos are getting steadily worse!

But as a Canadian, I felt compelled to submit, especially because this tune was rattling around in my memory somewhere.

This was a fun tune to learn, especially the B part.

25. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Woodenfingers and Colin. Thanks for giving us the genuine Canadian traditional versions. Really enjoyed them and I'm beginning to hum the tune around the house now. I'm feeling a bit guilty for having given the south seas treatment to what appears to be the Canadian national anthem!
  26. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hey Colin, well done. Do you know the origin of the tune?

James: No, not the National Anthem but it is representative of a wide variety of tunes. I hear it as a kind of Canadian Polka, especially as played by Andy de Jarlis in the clip that Colin posted and the button accordion versions on Youtube. Your calypso version is good too as many Canadians escape the winter down in Margaritaville...
  27. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    It's a square dance tune, and the piano, drums, bass, and spoons accompaniment in the Ned Landry and Andy DeJarlis versions are fairly typical of Canadian traditional music of the era. Andy Dejarlis was a Métis fiddler from Manitoba, Ned Landry was from New Brunswick, but they both had plenty of swing!
  28. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job Colin, James and Woodenfingers. I thought Luurtie's round was particularly interesting. It was another busy week for me, but here is a basic version.
  29. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Beautifully played Laura, well done.
  30. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Colin, thanks for inspiring me to work out the double stops for the B part. It has taken some time and even more takes, but I really love playing that B part.
    luurtie, your canon was very inspiring, too and it's amazing what you can pull out of the hat, i.e. mandolin, in the shortest period of time.
    Nice work, James and woodenfingers.
    Laura, your "basic version" sounds great. By the way, I admired your band and your playing on Wagon Wheel.

31. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Excellent Manfred -especially the B part; your hard work has paid off.
  32. Sasquatch
    Sasquatch
    Manfred, I borrowed quite a bit from you. I hope you don't mind. I just loved your approach to this tune.