Progress?

1. Altar
    Altar
    Anyone got any new builds in the works?
  2. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Yes, just got some wood today for the next two builds! I'll be using some nice instrument grade wood this time, even though my construction grade spiral cut cedar/poplar mando experimental build did turn out sounding and playing very well! Here is a photo for you all. Maple from Old Standard and I sourced some local Colorado Engelmann spruce for the tops. Planning on building an F5 for the next build and then ??? for #3.
  3. Altar
    Altar
    Beautiful! I've started a vintage Fender jag restoration while I've been gone. Working my way up to the intense art of handcrafting acoustic instruments, and already seeing how difficult this all is, and I've gained so much admiration for mando builders.
  4. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Very nice - keep us in the loop.
  5. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Just got the top and back joined, hopefully I will have some time in the next couple weeks to make some more progress. Have to build new body building molds since this will be my first F style. I'll keep adding pics to my build #2 photo album under my profile.
  6. Altar
    Altar
    Nice!
  7. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    I have been working on bending the sides and was having some difficulty with the figured maple splitting. I found that in order to get a good bend with no splits or cracks I had to plane the sides down more than I thought. Once I got them nice and thin, bending has been coming along nicely.
  8. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Just got the sides clamped in the mold to dry after bending, next step will be to glue the blocks and linings.
  9. Altar
    Altar
    Great work! People like you amaze me, so much talent... Keep it up!
  10. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Got to work in the shop this weekend and made some good progress. The rim is all glued up and ready for linings and truing up to make sure it is flat and true. Started carving the top and back as well.
  11. Altar
    Altar
    Awesome! I love spruce.
  12. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    And here is some maple. I'll get the final touches and sanding after gluing it up.
  13. Altar
    Altar
    Wow, great. Is this for yourself or someone else?
  14. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    I am building it for myself although I already have wood for #3. I think once I finish #3, I will keep the one I like best and sell the other. Either that or I will build something like a 3 point f style oval hole and just keep adding to my growing mandolin collection...
  15. Altar
    Altar
    :D

I like where you're going with this.
  16. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Just starting to get the binding on. What a challenge. I got Andrew Mowry's article on binding in American Lutherie. Boy, does he make it look easy! I think it will look alright after it is scraped and finished though.
  17. Altar
    Altar
    It looks great! You want to watch those corners,, haha... Biggest PITA.
  18. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Looks great!
  19. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I will probably wait to scrape the binding and sand the body while I start working on the neck. This should give the binding time to shrink back down after swelling slightly from the acetone in the binding glop I used for adhesive. I'll hopefully start working on binding the headstock veneer soon too.
  20. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    And yes, all those little corners and the tight bends in the scroll were pains! This whole project gives me a lot of respect for those great builders out there.
  21. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Nearly finished up with binding and getting ready for inlays.
  22. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Getting close to finishing. Here is a teaser...
  23. Altar
    Altar
    Nice!!!
  24. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Got to staining this weekend. Hand rubbed sunburst.

25. Altar
    Altar
    Amazing...

You do realize this group is for BEGINNING builders, right?
  26. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    I agree, that looks fantastic. Great job on the sunburst -- it's not there to hide anything. I love the Roman numeral fret markers. Excellent all around.
  27. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys! This is the first time for me doing any kind of wood staining and I think that it has turned out pretty well. The only problem at this point is that I am able to see a few scratches after staining that I didn't notice before. Im still haven't decided if I want to sand the whole thing and re-stain or call it good enough and spray the finish.
  28. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Aaron, that is such a beautiful instrument you have created, man!
  29. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Thanks, John. It has been a fun project. I can't wait to play it! Here is a pic of the first coat of varnish in my make-shift cardboard spray booth.
  30. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Done!
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Looks awesome, great sunburst, and I love those Roman numerals. How's it play?