Loch Erroch Side

1. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

I did this one for the musical quotes social group where it appears under the title of a poem about the song, "Hang up his harp". Thought it would be good to post it under its own name.
    The timing on the B part is extremely tricky.
  2. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    lovely strathspey! Can you point me to the abc for this version? Lots of versions on abcnotation.com
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    I used the version at abcnotation. This piece is attributed to Neil Gow and his 2nd wife and the words were written by the Duke of Gordon.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I really liked this tune when you posted it, MM, and your version on mandolin. The timing was indeed a problem at the end - actually I think the music is slightly inaccurate there as there seem to be too many notes in the last bar as it is written and i have adapted it to try to keep it flowing. Thanks for posting the tune.

Here is my try, on octave and guitar and using this great wee mp3 widget.

[mp3=1]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=100866&d=1365767346[/mp3]
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    attributed to Neil Gow and his 2nd wife

The same 2nd wife he wrote a lament for? (I play that one sometimes)
    This is apparently much more lively and optimistic, as I gather from these two renditions
  6. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice play'n guys, gonna have to add this tune to my growing to learn list.
  7. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    A much smoother version than mine, John. The tune seems more definite.
    Is Loch Erroch a real loch or fictitious? It doesn't appear in the gazeteer.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Could it be this one?
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Maybe not to much smoother but just different, MM? Thanks for your kind comment.
    Bertram, I think that the loch is probably Loch Ericht, which runs south-west from Dalwhinnie in the Grampian Mountains.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Ah, thanks John, it's by the A889 - I passed it a couple times; very mild and subtle whisky
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    It is a lovely spot, Bertram. I have walked down its shores a few times from the Dalwhinnie end when I was heading into the hills (Ben Alder is the big one in the vicinity) and we used to stay in an abandoned cottage on its shores which is reputed to be haunted. It is known as Ben Alder Cottage, but also McCook's Cottage after the last inhabitant, who allegedly hanged himself behind the door, though this is discredited by most folk. It is accessible only by walking or by taking a boat and it is kept open by the estate and maintained by an organisation called the Mountain Bothies Association and used by hill people as a refuge (known as a bothy here in Scotland) and many the good night I have spent there ceilidhing after long days on the hill and enjoying the very subtle and mild whisky (to quote BH!) from just up the road. I'm glad to say this was the only spirits I experienced in this bothy, though others tell fascinating tales of mystery
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I also prefer the barley-based spirits, though you're never safe. One night last summer, in an upstairs room in a cottage in Elgol, Skye, my wife was shoved so she fell over and bruised her knee. Some Scots never stop fighting...
  13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Bertram- I don't think Loch Errochty can be the subject of the song as it is a modern reservoir created by damming the Errochty Water - certainly not around in Neil Gow's time.