Week #206 ~ Gentle Maiden

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Gentle Maiden (waltz version). I'm not familiar with this tune.

Here is a link to the notation on abcnotation.com from John Chambers' abc collection.

and the abc from that site:

X: 1
    T: Gentle Maiden
    O: Trad
    R: waltz
    N: Also played as a jig.
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/4
    K: G
    D \
    | "G"G>AG | "D7"FED | "G"d2d | "C"efg | "G"dcB | "G7"A2G | "C"E3- | "D7"E2F |
    y3\
    | "G"G>AG | "D7"FED | "G"d2d | "C"efg | "G"d>cB | "D7"A2G | "G"G3- | G2 ||
    d \
    | "G7"d>ef | "C"g2g | g2g | gfe | "G"d>cB | "Am"A2G | "C"E3- | "D7"E2F |
    y\
    | "G"G>AG | "D7"FED | "G"d2d | "C"efg | "G"d>cB | "D7"A2G | "G"G3- | G2 |]

I believe this is the same tune:

If anyone has any more links to add, please do!
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

This is a two part version from The Piper's Companion vol 2 both playedon a Gremlin.
  3. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    I was very happy with this slow tune, the weather's to nice to spend ours of fingerbreaking exercises. I used the old Leo McCafrey version as an example.

4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Awesome!!
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That is incredibly beautiful, Hendrik--one of the most lovely songs I've heard.
  6. jonny250
    jonny250
    Luurtie that's great, what a musician
    good to be outdoors playing eh! i managed a few minutes on the mando in the garden today, very pleasant. hopefully i'll get a saw video in sometime soon...
  7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great weather and a great performance too!
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Nice harmony playing Duncan and luurtie, I enjoyed your singing and playing. I really liked the classical guitar video used as an example of the tune so my version is mostly guitar with mandolin coming in the 2nd time through.

9. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Beautiful played and arranged David!
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Your guitar really does suit this song well, David--what a nice pair of instruments and a beautiful arrangemen for them.
    I like the harmony part too, MM. It adds a lot.
  11. laura809
    laura809
    I am feeling thankful for a pretty slower tune this week. Very nice versions so far. I think Luurtie's vocal arrangement is one of my favorite examples of this song on youtube. Here's mine.
  12. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    That was very very Nice Laura! And thanks for the kind words
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Beautiful tremolo, Laura.
  14. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Wow! What great versions this week... What a beautiful song
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    The way the chords ring out--it's such an ethereal sound. Really beautiful work, Frank.
  16. Francis J
    Francis J
    I'll second that comment Marcelyn, just beautiful.. and well done to everyone, all of you have produced very different, very tasty music.
  17. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Beatiful, Frank. Very tasteful tremolo.
  18. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I missed out on this beautiful tune when it was current, but I'm catching up now.

My recording is based on the version in "Celtic Music for Mandolin" by Allan Alexander and Jessica Walsh. They have written a variation which uses the same progression. I'm not sure of its merits as a variation in its own right, but it makes a nice harmony/counter melody part to accompany the traditional tune. I have made it into a trio of two vintage Italian bowlback mandolins and tenor guitar, played somewhat like an Italian waltz, with a light bouncy tremolo. The second mandolin plays the harmony part throughout with the first mandolin and the tenor guitar taking turns played the melody and rhythm.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin
    1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Ozark tenor guitar

Martin
  19. crisscross
    crisscross
    Like Martin, I missed this beautiful waltz when it was current. Well, I joined the cafe about a year later. But I'm surprised, I never heard it. I got aware of it, when I discovered the sheet music for Gentle Maiden Variations for Flute and classical guitar at Les Productions d'Oz's website. https://productionsdoz.com/product/1...den-variations I'm hinking of ordering it and replacing the flute with a mandolin.
    To become familiar with this tune, I had a look at Youtube and found Martin's nice version. That inspired me to try something similar, not that elaborate, just guitar and mandolin:
    Thanks to luurtie, David, Laura, Frankdolin and Martin for your inspiring versions of this beautiful waltz!
  20. crisscross
    crisscross
    Forget my Soundcloud recording, that was tremolo overkill!
    Today I re-recorded this beautiful tune, and with the temperature being as high as it is at the moment, I made no effort to tremolo notes that are shorter than 2 beats.
  21. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's really well played! I enjoyed your perfect timing especially.

One of the nice things about revived threads is to see the contributions of now inactive members. I've listened to so much music from Laura and Marcelyn, for example, since joining this group. Their melodies are here to stay.
  22. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another of my lockdown re-recordings of arrangements from our group's repertoire folder.

Our arrangement is based on the version in "Celtic Music for Mandolin" by Allan Alexander and Jessica Walsh. They have written a variation using the same progression, which makes a nice harmony/counter melody for a second mandolin to accompany the traditional tune.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

Martin
  23. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Christian, I missed your beautiful version of the tune when you posted it last year, so belated thanks for posting it. Great balance of melody and gentle backing.
    Martin, well up to your usual standard, and the harmony sits well in the mix.
  24. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I missed out too! I think I was traveling back to England that day.
    Nice nostalgic feeling, and beautiful triplets (as usual) Christian. Thanks.

And thanks Martin, nice to hear all those different instruments.
    My usual excuse, ‘I can’t read music, so I can’t add harmony lines’ has got change...
  25. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Very well played, Martin.
    Some really nice versions in the whole thread!
  26. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    They are all very nice. It's fun watching the old ones too. i like this harmony Martin.
  27. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Very nice to see you play this one Martin! I can hardly remember singing this one a long time ago..haha.
  28. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's one fine delivery, Martin. And deliverance from the chores of the week.
  29. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Many thanks for those kind comments -- much appreciated! I agree that the harmony part is what makes this arrangement. What is interesting is that Allan Alexander didn't intend it as a harmony at all, but as a variation over the same chord progression in order to make the tune longer. That's something Allan has done in a lot of his books, not just the Celtic mandolin book but also his medieval and renaissance tune books. I find that those variations often work very nicely as harmonies -- my recent recording of Carolan's Welcome also uses one of Allan's variations.

Simon: Allan's books have tab, so at least this harmony you can play without needing to read standard notation.

Martin