Picking Technique

1. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    I believe was Dave Apollon who, in an article by David Grisman, is credited with saying that right hand technique in playing mandolin is most important. This seems very similar to recognizing that the violin bow is an instrument as well as the violin. Not sure, I'm making sense, but it's a personal quest I'm undertaking to improve my playing.

I appreciate your input, insights, references, suggestions, etc.

Joe
  2. TMitchell
    TMitchell
    I've heard similar observations by Andy Statman and Chris Thile, and I'm sure most of the other heavyweights would agree if cornered with the question. My own experience seems to back that up. In jams, it's always my picking hand that causes my mistakes, whether by missing strings altogether or more often just by creating bad tone. When my hand drifts too close to the bridge, the tone becomes stiff and flat. If I dig in too much, the sound is shrill. If my fingers are too tight on the pick, I can't keep up to speed. Staying loose yet responsive in the right hand and keeping it at the right location and at the right angle on the strings is definitely my biggest improvement opportunity right now.
  3. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    I'm also trying to 'float' my picking hand over the strings with only a very small part of the pick tip extending beyond my thumb and index finger that hold it. This keeps me close to the strings. I also have been told that the mandolin has a 'sweet' spot near the end of the fingerboard so I try to play in that location as well. Sometimes I stray over the fingerboard/fretboard/neck and I'll hear a clicking sound which turns out to be my pick tapping the fretboard...tryin' to get better at not doing that!