Week #205 ~ Sail Away Ladies

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm announcing the winner early this week, as it's a runaway leader, and I'm going to be on the road tomorrow.

This week's winner is Sail Away Ladies, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune.

I'm not familiar with the tune. I found this on abcnotation.com which is from John Chambers' abc collection. Here is the abc from that site:

X:5728
    T:Sail Away Ladies
    O:England
    M:C
    L:1/8
    S:Rodney Miller
    K:G
    g2ga g2d2|e3 e3-e2|c2 c2 d2 e2|d2 de d2 (d2|
    d)edB AGED|EA2 B A2 (A2|A)BAG EDEF|G2 GF G2:|
    GA|B3 B2 AGB|A2 AB A2 (A2|A)BAG EDEF|G2 GF G2 GA|
    B3 B2 AGB|A2 AB A2 (A2|A)BAG EDEF|G2 GF G2:|

Here's notation and lyrics from Traditional Bluegrass Music.

Here's a link to more information from The Fiddlers' Companion.

If anyone else has any more links or info, that would be great!
  2. JLewis
    JLewis

Also found more tab at Mandozine
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    This sounds very much like Sally Ann, doesn't it. It almost drove me crazy, because I knew I had played some of these melody lines, but couldn't put a name on it for a while.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    This zany group sure knew how to play an old timey tune...

5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I say, if you're not having fun, you're not playing old time right. Who wouldn't want to jam with those guys?
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Sail Away Ladies was on our "to do" list for the Saw Mountain String Band so it was only natual to do it this week. Marcy sang and played fiddle, her husband, Jeff, rapped the 5 string banjo, and I sang and overdubbed mandolin, guitar, and bass. Images are from the Library of Congress. As always the music tracks were exchanged via the internet.

7. luurtie
    luurtie
    Perfect! Where can I buy that cd?
  8. laura809
    laura809
    What a great start!
  9. luurtie
    luurtie
    Finally I got my wife singing. I knew this song was going to be special
    No movie this week, after all its easter. Thank you Martin Jonas, this saves a lot of time.

[MP3=]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=100444&d=1364817668[/MP3]
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Awesome! You and your wife are rocking that song. You've got to get her in more numbers around here.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two super versions here, SAW Mountain and luurtie! Both transmit the feeling that you were all having great fun performing the song! The mp3 widget is a really useful addition.
  12. rogro
    rogro
    It's hard to find a tune to work on till its ready, for a surprise first-run on SOW. This would have been one of my choices, in a few weeks....What nice performances from Saw Mountain and Holland! Really enjoyable.
  13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very nice singing and playing from SAW Mountain and Luurtie and wife. No vocals here though just thetune
  14. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Some great picking everyone. I will definitely get after this one before the weekend is over. The SAW Mt. Folks are really killing it.
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's great picking Maudlin, and from your other posts like John Hardy, I'll bet you do some cool vocals on this one when the mood strikes.
    Steve, I'm so looking forward to hearing that.
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Great renditions by all this week!!!!!!!!!
  17. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Here's our Sail Away Ladies. A fun tune to play for sure.
  18. laura809
    laura809
    Nice work everyone. Here's a short instrumental version. It was a busy week and I am trying to get caught up.
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These latest two are great--both with driving guitar backup and really nice mandolin breaks.
  20. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow Laura, very nice. You have your own way of playing... Very Nice Steve, who is the lady you playing with? You also played very well Maudlin!
  21. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Thank you kindly, Luurtie and Marcelyn. That's the Mrs. Cantrell, Dawn. She has been playing with me the last couple of years. At one point I told her my Old Time band needed a new guitar player and she signed up. She's a natural.