Sandy River Belle - Octave ADAD tuning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie
    Thought I would post this tune since it has an alternate tuning.
  2. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie

This is a great tune. I learned it from the "Appalachiean Mandolin & Dulcimer" album by Butch Baldassari and David Schnaufer.
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    bgjunkie.... again, nice tune, nice playing! Thanks!
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    bgjunkie... do you use the same strings when you tune your OM to ADAD, just tune the G strings up to A, and the E's down to D? Or do you use different strings?
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's a cool tune, and nicely played.
  6. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie
    I use the same strings and just tune G up and E down. I can play Wiskey Before Breakfast tuned ADAD as well, but I haven't quite worked the B part up to speed.

Thanks OldSausage. It took several tries to get through it with that little red light on my video camera staring me down.
  7. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Recorded this some time ago.

8. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    And here it is again on mountain dulcimer.

9. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin, both great versions, indeed! do you have the tabs for this?

mc
  10. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Mic, I think I may have it in a dulcimer book with notation, but here's a mando tab version right here on Mando Cafe'.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/tab/srbelle.txt
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I found this standard notation.

Here is a link to the tune, TEF file (#194) on Mandozine Tune of the Week archives

This ABC is from Fiddler's Companion

X:1
    T:Sandy River Belle
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    K:G
    DEGA B2B6 | AGAB e2d2 | DEGA B2B6 | AGAB ABE2 |
    DEGA B2B6 | AGAB e2d2 | degd eged | BGA2 G4 :|
    |: g2gg edeg | b2bg agef | g2gg edeg | fefg a4 |
    g2gg edeg | b2bg agef | degd eged | BGA2 G4 :|
  12. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Barbara and Martin, thanx so much. it's not on TheSessions site. if i learn the mandolin version i can easliy put it on the dulcimer.
    really liked your version there,Martin.

cool tune.

mc
  13. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Martin, what is that thing on the dulcimer fretboard?? a capo or ??
    and how is your's tuned. i keep mine at aa-a-d.

mc
  14. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Mic, it is a Dudley brass adjustable dulcimer capo. Where it touches the instrument it has leather pads. I tune most in Mixolydian mode, ddaD. I'm getting ready to sell my dulcimer because I just don't play it any more and I'd like to get an octave mando. I hate to sell it because I have a sentimental attachment to it, I've had it so long. It was custom built and inlayed just for me by Bill and Sharon Van Dusen. Bill doesn't build anymore either.
  15. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I've never heard of a dulcimer capo. cool beans! My wife bought mine on our honeymoon in 1976 from Bob & Ann Lazenby in Pigeon Forge, TN when it was only a flashing yellow light LOL.
    i'll have to try your tuning, too.
    thx.

mc
  16. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Wow, how did I miss this one the first time around? Cool tune, great playing all around, and, of course, I love the alternative tuning on the octave.
  17. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Yeah, I've heard of Lazenbys in Pigeon Forge. I think they make banjomers too - dulcimers with a small banjo head over the strum hallow. They sound really cool.
  18. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Yeah, Martin. the first time we were in Pigeon Forge there were only 2 buildings; the Pottery, and Four & Twenty, an antique shop where Bob made and sold his dulcimers. The last time we were there we couldn't even find the original intersection, Oh, the Humanity!

mc
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good to see this one on here, here's my version:
  20. Rob Gerety
    Rob Gerety
    Excellent - as usual. I need to figure a way to record tracks so I can have some back up. Gives the tune so much more pop.
  21. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Great playing, David. and fine production. 5*

mc
  22. billkilpatrick
    lovely tune - well played.
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks for the kind comments folks
  24. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    You rock OS.
  25. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I want to be OS if I grow up.
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Martin the world needs more people like you
  27. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing, OS. Love your version.
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Don - I'm looking forward to yours.
  29. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here it is, OS.

I found a version of Sandy River Belle in G on Skip Gorman's excellent CD "Mandolin in the Cow Camp." I happened to have the oval in GDGD tuning so I borrowed heavily from Skip's version and worked it up in crosstuning. Gilchrist Model 1 mandolin.

30. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Don, that's certainly a different take on that tune. I really, REALLY like. Thanks for posting that.
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That was great Don, I really enjoyed that.
  32. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, guys.
  33. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I hope that this one will be on your next album!!

mc
  34. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, Mike, I think it will.

You can listen to my album at http://www.HillbillyChamberMusic.com if you haven't heard about it yet.
  35. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Don, I already have your album and really like it. even put the sticker that came with it on my case.

mike
  36. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Mike, I know you have the album. The link was for the other 300 members who haven't come by to give it a listen.
  37. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Great music, group. go for it.

mike
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I agree about Don's CD! If you haven't already checked it out (which SHOULD result in your saying, I've just GOT to get that, and clicking "BUY").... do it!
  39. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I love this tune! Recorded another verion on TB.

40. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job, Martin! Reminds me that I'll have to work up this tune and play it again sometime.
  41. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks Michael. It's really hard for me to multi-track as I really don't have the equipment for it. I realized after I posted that the tracking isn't quite "on."
  42. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Sandy River Belle on a banjo in a clawhammer style with the mandolin lending assistance. My wife says that this is a 'happy sounding tune', so here's a slide show of some happy times from this summer to go along with the music! The banjo is a Harmony 5 string and the mandolin is a Kentucky KM600. Oh, that's my grandson, Evan, near the end...

43. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Man that was some nice old-time Sandy River Belle, Michael! Super-cute grandson, also. Where'd he get that snazzy hat from!?
  44. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You don't get your banjo out often enough, Michael. That's so fun. All these versions are amazing. This will be a tune I bump to the top of the list.
  45. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was really well done Michael. I am always in awe of anyone who can play clawhammer banjo and especially those like you who make it sound seamless. I'm with Marcelyn and adding this to my list.
  46. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Hey, I like it Michael. Wish I could figure out that clawhammer stuff. Nice pics too.
  47. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks everyone. I've been lucky to have picked with some really great banjo players. So I've gotten an up close look at how they do it. Clawhammer is a strange style of picking but after the initial shock of how it's done becomes quite comfortable. Marcy, you're right my banjo doesn't get played enough. I'll try to do more in the future. My grandson's little 'cheese cutter' hat was purchased for him by his mother to go to our local "Irish pub." (More a restaurant than a pub really.)
  48. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well here's my try, a bit rough in spots but I was shooting for feel instead of technical proficiency.

49. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I think we could call that a success David.
  50. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Very nice David......you're a tough act to follow......as well as everyone else before you! Here's mine in the key of A with a few slides up the neck on the E string. Played with my Newell mandolin

Jim
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast