Strings for Crystal Forest mandolins

1. Bob Clark
    Bob Clark
    Just thought I'd kick off a discussion on what strings players like on their Crystal Forest mandolins. I tend to try a lot of different strings as I am always amazed by how much they can alter the voice of a mandolin.

So far, on this mandolin I have tried D'Addario J73, SIT Lights, and C.F.Martin 80/20 Bronze. All of these are light strings, which is what should be used. I like the sound of the Martins best, and the SIT least, but that's my taste and yours might differ. I found the SITs a little harsh, and the Martins much more mellow. Really, though, any of these would do.

Next, I will probably try JazzMandos, which are also on the light side (.011-.033). I like these on my Weber arch-top. I'll let you know what I think of them on my Crystal Forest in another month or two.

Bob
  2. Bob Clark
    Bob Clark
    I haven't yet tried the JazzMandos on my Crystal Forest, but I have tried a set of Ernie Ball Medium gauge 2320 strings. These are actually pretty light (10,14,24,36) and seem to be stainless steel (the package doesn't say). You will not believe how long these are when you take them out of the package. I cut off an length equal to what I used.

I am really impressed with their sound, however. I like these best of the strings I have tried thus far on this instrument. They are not too bright and have nice even tone across the range. They were also quite inexpensive. So, for now, these are my top choice on this mandolin.

Best wishes, Bob
  3. Sterling
    Sterling
    How about thomastik Infields? I am awaiting delivery of a Crystal Forest Army Navy Mandolin and I like flat wound strings.
  4. Bob Clark
    Bob Clark
    Hi Sterling,

I haven't tried those on mine yet. I intended to try JazzMandos (another flat wound) but they stopped making them before I got around to it. I'll post my thoughts here if/when I try the TIs. If you try them first, could you post your impressions? I have used them on my OM and really like them on that instrument.

Congratulations on your new Crystal Forest! I hope you love it as much as I love mine!

Bob
  5. Sterling
    Sterling
    Got my Crystal Forest mandolin #20 yesterday. California Redwood top and Red Maple back and sides. Pretty to look at and sounds great with J73 strings that it came with. I think it will be a good foil to my Eastman 615.
  6. Bob Clark
    Bob Clark
    Great! I'm glad you're enjoying it. They do make a great contrast to an arch top. You've just greatly increased the tonal palette you work from. Best wishes with it.