Week #201 ~ Growlin' Ol' Man, Grumblin' Ol' Woman

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Growlin' Ol' Man, Grumblin' Ol' Woman.

Here is a link to it on thesession.org.

Here is a link to it on abcnotation.com from John Chambers collection.

Here's an interesting instructional video (on the fiddle) but it should help those learning by ear....

Here's an instructional video on mandolin

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I think these ones good versions of the tune:

There are almost no mandolin versions of this on YouTube, so here's our chance to change this from a fiddle and banjo tune to a mando tune.
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Don't know whether the second video is particularly good for ear training
  4. justkaron
    justkaron
    I hear that Manfred! Saw this video earlier on Youtube and I was thinkin'...wait just a minute gang!
  5. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Love that Daley in the second video. Wished I could filter out the rest so I could hear it.
    I like Sim's mandolins. Hope to see Jennifer Lynn's [Della Mae] tomorrow at Wintergrass.
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I don't often manage to post these on a Friday any more, but I had some free time tonight, and I do like this tune so I couldn't resist trying it a bit too soon. Worked in a bit of guitar and twin mandolins at the end:

7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Extremely well down! The bar is set and as usual with your great playing it's really up high.
  8. Francis J
    Francis J
    Lovely balanced playing David, and a great arrangement. Its a really nice tune in your hands.
  9. bev wigney
    bev wigney
    Very cool arrangement and playing, David!
  10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    You just lightened up the grey morning, David. Like the fast triplets you threw in
  11. justkaron
    justkaron
    Inspiring, David. REALLY nice. I tried to play thru the tabs from traditionalmusic.co.uk Gulp.
  12. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Karon, I just looked at that tab (tradmusic) and think that there is a mistake in the 1st part. They always show the 6th fret (C#) when it should be the 5th (C). The notation is correct, though.
    Or am I completely mistaken????
  13. justkaron
    justkaron
    I know Manfred. I tried it with the C and it sounded much better so that's what I was gonna go with. Glad my newbie instincts were going the right direction. Thanks for the input! ( I hadn't even looked at the notation, since I'm just BEGINNING to try to read notation.) That might have been a clue for me. Good lesson here. Pay attention to what's on the page, Karon.
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks folks. You're right about the tab on traditionalmusic.co.uk, the c# against the minor chord is not going to sound good. I usually hear this played with just 3 repeats of the A part, instead of the more normal 4. I've always suspected that was the old woman cutting off the old man mid-sentence and not waiting her turn. There is tab for this in the Mandolin Picker's Fakebook (and Fiddlers Fakebook of course), which shows that. There's also tab on mandozine for tabledit here:

http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=

But all of that tab is rather fiddle oriented, which makes it harder to play on mandolin than it needs to be. I'll try to post some tab for my version later today.
  15. justkaron
    justkaron
    That would be great, David.
  16. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was wonderful David. Same brilliant quality as always.... It's a very complex version

I recorded a simple version this morning, I hope you like it....

17. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    A very short version, unaccompanied. A Canadian tune, so I had to put my skates in the background.

David, your version is stunning. Well done!

18. Larry Ayers
    Larry Ayers
    Some nice renditions up there! Here's my attempt. I started with the tenor banjo (a 1930 Bacon and Day), recorded the mandolin track over that, then added a basic guitar track. The mandolin is a 1920 Vega Cylinder-back. I got a bit out of sync in a couple of spots but managed to recover.

19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great stuff from Hendrik, Colin and Larry. Really pleased to see you posting again Colin, I've missed you. Here's the tab that I promised. It's not exactly what I play in the video (because I'm improvising all over it in the video, and missing quite a few things), but it's better and certainly what I wish I played, and should also give you enough clues to reconstruct the sort of things I was aiming for.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...0&d=1362280790
  20. justkaron
    justkaron
    Just printed the tabs out, David. Thank you.
    This outta be an adventure for this Newbie. Yes indeed.
  21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I haven't had a lot of time to post recently but I had about an hour today to put this together. I would have played it faster if I actually knew the tune!! I opted for AB AB rather than AABB AABB as it seemed flow better that way. I also managed to kill my Zoom Q3HD in the process, so this may be my last video for a while.

22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very cool, David. I like that arrangement. Sorry about your Q3HD, I hope that works out okay.
  23. luurtie
    luurtie
    That was very nice David! The chords you use are very different but change the tune's atmosphere in a very positive way.
    Well done Colin and Larry, you did also very wel on this tune. I'm defenitely not a "old fiddle tune" person, but after hearing all of your versions I'm starting to like it a bit.
  24. albeham
    albeham
    Thanks David. Now does anyone have an mp3 of it so I can listen to it at work?

AL
  25. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    All really great posts as usual. I love the different styles and takes on the theme. Yes, OS set the bar so high I easily walked right under it. For that matter, they were all well done. David, I hope you fix your Zoom, you do great arrangements and I love that octave mandolin. For my part I had a heck of a time trying to play this cleanly so I have both the mando and guitar buzzing along nicely and I seem to have lost the metronome somewhere.

26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OS.... thanks for posting the tab. I love your arrangement! While I can play from tab, I find it much easier to grasp the bigger picture (which helps me memorizing it) if it's in standard notation. Would it be too difficult with whatever program you use, to post the abc?
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    No problem at all Barbara:

X:1
    T:Growling Old Man And Woman
    C:Old Sausage
    N:TablEdited by David Mold
    L:1/8
    Q:408
    M:4/4
    K:C
    z6 G,^G, | "Am"A,C EC A,C EC | "G"G,B, DB, G,B, DB, | "Am"A,C EC A,C AB | "G"cA BG "Am"AG ED |
    "Am"A,C EC A,C EC | "G"G,B, DG Bd BG | "Am"A,C EG AB AB | "G"cA (3BAG "Am"AG ED |
    "Am"A,C EG AB AG | "G"G,B, DG Bd BG | "Am"A,C EG AG AB | "G"cA (3BAG "Am"A2 ^cd |
    "A"e^f ed ^cd ef | "G"ge dc BG Bd | "A"e^f ed ^cA cd | ea2^g a2 e^f | g^f ed ^cd ef |
    "G"ge dc BG AB | "Am"cA BG AG A,B, | "G"CA, (3B,A,G, "Am"A,2 ^cd | "A"e^f ed ^cd ef |
    "G"ge ^fd ed ^cd | "A"e^f ed ^cd ef | ea a^g a2 e^f | ga g^f ed ef | "G"ge ^fd e^c dB |
    "Am"cA BG AG A,B, | "G"CA, (3B,A,G, "Am"A,4 |
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  28. laura809
    laura809
    OS, that was outstanding as usual. Nice job Luurtie, I particularly liked your backing track. Colin, that was a nice solid solo version. Larry, the banjo sounded really nice on yours. What tuning was it in? It had a nice bassy sound to it. David, very pretty, and that was a unique accompaniment with some nice changes. Woodenfingers, I love the images you chose for this. What instrument was that in the middle and ending doing background notes?
    Here's mine. I compared the tone of my different mandolins to make my basic version more interesting.
  29. luurtie
    luurtie
    Very nice Laura. That F5G definitely's got more bite than the Collings which has a warmer sound. For bluegrass I should use the F5G I think. Although that old Gibson sounds very nice, I like the Collings most for this kind of music... You've got some great sounding instruments. I think I'll make such a recording with my 3 mandolins in the nearby future.
  30. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Laura, I am playing my 50 year-old accordion that I started playing as a 10 yr old. It is somewhat asthmatic these days and I am playing the keyboard in 'bassoon' mode which seems particularly wheezy and growly.

Your mandolins all sound good. I agree with Lurrtie that the F5G's treble side is a bit brighter and rings more than that of the Collings, definitely more bluegrassy. It will be interesting to see how the tone of the F5G changes as it gets more play time.

You do a wonderful job on your arrangements and your guitar work is always impeccable.

Thanks for the comment on the images, I particularly liked the cat with its tongue stuck out.
  31. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Laura, great work there. It was cool to hear the two different mandos in the same video. I really need to work on my video editing/clip splicing. I tried to do a backing track and now I'm not even sure I will be able to post anything. Hopefully I can fix it as I have now spent more time working on putting the video together than I did learning the tune. I'm always impressed with how fast everyone learns these. Maybe I can get something up tomorrow....
  32. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Everyone is posting with impressive speed this week. I thought the A part was a great bass line but needeed something played above it so I did both parts together on a Gremlin.
  33. walt33
    walt33
    Great work, everybody! This tune is known in Quebec as "La chicaneuse," and here's a page with midi and notation:

http://www.mustrad.udenap.org/tounes...icanneuse.html

Looks like you were right about the C nats.

Walt
  34. bev wigney
    bev wigney
    You've all posted so many great recordings of this tune over the past week. Rather intimidating!

I'm straggling in at the end with a rather hastily constructed version. It began with a recording on my c.1925 Weymann tenor banjo (seen sitting in the background), then played that track while accompanying it on my 1920's Stella flatback mandolin. Video and final sound recording made using PhotoBooth running on an iMac (just used the internal speaker and mic to make it).

35. justkaron
    justkaron
    Good work Bev. Good that you didn't let yourself get too intimidated to work on it.
    I worked on it but don't have anything that ANYONE would want to see at this point...but did produce a little video for myself to come back to and work harder on later ... with more capability for it.
    Will be glad to move on to next week's tune although this week's was good for me to at least try, I know.

Karon
  36. justkaron
    justkaron
    Good work Bev. Good that you didn't let yourself get too intimidated to work on it.
    I worked on it but don't have anything that ANYONE would want to see at this point...but did produce a little video for myself to come back to and work harder on later ... with more capability for it.
    Will be glad to move on to next week's tune.
    Karon
  37. bev wigney
    bev wigney
    Thanks, Karon! Yes, on to the next tune! (-:
  38. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Here is my attempt. Still having Audio/Video problems but I just couldn't fiddle around with it anymore and will call this one good enough...
  39. bev wigney
    bev wigney
    Very nice, Aaron!