Week #198 ~ The Sleeping Tune (Gordon Duncan)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The voting was close this week.... the winner is The Sleeping Tune (Gordon Duncan)

Here is a video:

I found this abc on the session.org

X: 1
    T: The Sleeping Tune
    R: reel
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    K: Bmin
    B2 f2 f2 fe | (3efg gf fecd | e4 e4- | e2 ed efdc |
    d4 d4- | d2 dc decB | c4- cBcd | e4- efdc |
    B2 f2 f2 fe | (3efg gf fecd | e3 d e4- | e2 ed efdc |
    d3 c d4- | d2 dc decB | c4- cBcd | e4- effe |
    d2 a2- a2 cd | acda cddB | c2 a4 cB | c2 cB cddc |
    B2 a4 BA | B2 BA BcdB | c3 B c3- c/d/- | deed effe |
    d2 a2- a2 cd | acda cddB | c2 a4 cB | c2 cB cddc |
    B2 f4 BA | B2 BA BcdB | c3 B c3 d | e4 efdc ||
  2. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    This is a gorgeous tune! Hopefully I'll have time this week to work on it! Looking forward to hearing everyone's renditions
  3. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Does anyone have the chords for this?
  4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hi manfred, it just seems to go
    Bm / / / A / / / G / / / F#7 / A /
    over and over, at least the way the guy in the video plays it. Maybe sometimes he starts with D instead of B minor in the B part, but it could be either.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Yep, a D in the B part instead of Bm... same chords as Casey's Last Ride... pretty much the same tune too...
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Here is my version, played on octave mandolin. It is a fascinating wee tune. Just downloaded the abc yesterday and worked out a quick arrangement - not as good as Tony McManus's guitar version, I hasten to add!

7. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    This tunes seems to suit your beautiful octave mandolin perfectly... and your playing is just awesome too!
  8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Beautiful, John. When I get back to Europe, I will have you build me such an instrument.

David and Eddie, thanks for the chord info. I may have to call up my Band-in-a-Box to accompany me.
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Right behind you John... Played on a Crump C-III Cittern. This is a marker, I couldn't wait until I memorized the notes so I read it as I played.

10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful work, both John and Eddie. I toyed with a solo arrangement for this but couldn't make it work as well as John's, and in the end I went for a bluegrass group sound (no surprise there), which gives it a slightly different spin.

11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job Eddie (on a really cool instrument.)

David, your ensemble arrangement with bluegrass instrumentation is very tasteful and suits the melody of this tune beautifully. Well done!
  12. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, I guess some of the inspiration for this very nice performance came from that (now) empty glass. Very nice arrangement supported by this ever so competent band.
    Eddie, you are an excellent reader and multi-instrumentalist. Great job. This tune sounds so beautiful on these larger instruments.
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, all, for encouraging comments. Eddie and David, two fine versions yet again. One key mark of a good tune is that it can be played in many interpretations and via a variety of instruments.
    The great thing about the SAW group in being able to hear others' versions and hear how we all interpret the tune. I know what you mean about the reading, Eddie! I had the score just off-camera while I was playing it too. The real freedom comes when the notation is locked in the head rather than having to be read as we go.
  14. luurtie
    luurtie
    It's so nice to listen to all your versions. The octave mandolins sounds amazing, John and Eddy! And David, again a wonderful arragement. The banjo is perfect in this tune...
    I'm very glad with this weeks "Sleeping Tune", perfect for the time of year, and I'm a big fan of these kind of Scottisch tunes. It should do perfectly in BBC's Transatlantic sessions.
    This is what I recorded, I also mixed some low whistle and accordeon in the last part.

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice, that low whistle sounds very cool.
  16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great sound from multiple instruments, luurtie.

The bar is getting raised a notch here with every new post
  17. Shanachie
    Shanachie
    Wow. A lot of really great versions of this song. I'm so impressed with how quickly all of you learned this song. Such a pretty song. I'm going to have to work on it.
  18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent arrangement and impressive musicianship Llurtie!
  19. jonny250
    jonny250
    you guys are amazing!!! all really good to listen to and so skillful. dont know how you get it down so fast - even with tab. looking forward to having a go at this tune...
  20. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    That whistle is just beautiful, Luurtie. You have produced a really fine arrangement of the tune and the instrumentation is very well chosen for the mood of the tune. Off now to give a copy of the music to my flute-playing friend (who also plays low whistle), so thanks for your timely posting!
  21. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Great renditions all around, capturing the mood very well. This is a very strange tune, in that it sounds totally familiar to me. Listen to the 2nd movement of Joaquin Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez - am I hearing ghosts here?
  22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Yeah, I definitely hear that too, Bertram. Nothing new under the sun.
    I had no idea there'd be so many great versions up this early.
    John, I don't think I've ever heard your octave sound quite so beautiful. That was just gorgeous.
    Eddie, you've got a real knack for getting a tune down quick. That's a skill that comes in handy I bet. Really nice.
    The arrangements from David and Hendrick should be movie sound tracks. I'm really liking the modern feel of the BG version, and the whistles are outstanding.
  23. nanaimo
    nanaimo
    I love the different versions of this tune! It is one I want to learn. I was able to find the notation. All I need now is away to print it! I will have to go beg a printer from someone here in Mesa, as mine is a long way from here.
  24. Tavy
    Tavy
    Wow, what a great tune, after John and Eddies versions I thought that would never work on mandolin, and then here comes David and Luurtie showing how wrong I am! Really great playing everyone, I really enjoyed listening to those
  25. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb

Here's my feeble attempt! Everyone is sounding awesome on this one!
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very cool solo working of it there Caleb, I like it. You have a really nice touch.
  27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A fine performance, Caleb.
  28. luurtie
    luurtie
    Very Skillful Caleb. Your recordingquality is poor, but I can hear that mandolin of yours is sounding so great.
  29. WillFly
    WillFly
    To my simple ear, the chords last for two bars apiece, as:

Bm / / / Bm / / / A / / / A / / /
    G / / / G / / / F# / / / F# / / /

Same again in the "B" part, but with D substituted for the Bm. And the 2nd G chord in the B part seems to go against an F# in the melody, so might be slightly different...

Just a thought.
  30. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Thanks guys! I wish I had the setup to do some better recording. I have a great sounding mandolin-- I just wish my recordings (and playing!) did it more justice! What software do you guys use to overlay rhythms and whatnot? I might take a stab at that one of these days.
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's my blog post about how I do it: http://mandoliniana.blogspot.com/201...ent-check.html. You could use the free app Audacity to get started multitracking. A decent quality portable digital recorder like a Zoom H2 or Tascam dr07 mkii is also an easy way to get the sounds into your computer, and would also be a good investment for someone with your skills.
  32. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Caleb, I use a software DAW (Digital Audio Workstation - sorry if you know this) and record into my laptop through an Edirol UA-25 interface, which plugs into a usb port on the computer. It has 2 inputs which take XLR or standard jacks and it has phantom power to power my condenser mics. Each input has its own controls. In Reaper I can record on to 1 track then play this back (through headphones) while overdubbing a second track, then a third and so on. As OS says, Audacity can do this as a start and it is free. Reaper is great program and you can download a full, unrestricted version to try it out; it is cheap to buy - about $60 when I bought mine.
    On the video above of Sleeping Tune I ran the video camera at the same time as I was recording the tune and then, using a program such as Movie Maker (I use Sony Vegas) just lined up the music track (converted in Reaper to an mp3 for size) with the sound track from my camera then deleted the camera sound which is never near the quality I can get using my condenser mics and computer software.
    A word of warning - when you start to do this it can very quickly consume huge amounts of your time!
  33. WillFly
    WillFly
    Here's my web page on how I do it... http://www.mjra.net/WillFly/recording.shtml
  34. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Caleb, multitracking is great fun, but as John points out, it can be a bit of a time commitment. Most weeks I opt for just a camera. The Zoom Q3 has a surprisingly good built in microphone. It only takes low resolution video, so it's well suited for You Tube clips. The newer models have high definition video, but if you find a used older one, they're pretty affordable. Just another option.
    Really incredible picking this week. Keep posting whatever the quality. Your clips are really enjoyable.
  35. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    As Marcy and John have both pointed out, recording yourself on multiple instruments is really great fun! (Sometimes a lot of work too.) One of the problems with the process is that it is difficult to learn if you go the "software on your computer route". You quickly run into memory problems and issues of latency and end up spending all your time trying to make your computer actually run correctly -- even if you have a really high end machine.

I think a portable, dedicated multi-track recorder makes perfect sense for a musician. Something that you can drag along to a practice session and also use at home for your "recording studio." They used to be quite expensive but are now very reasonable in price -- some even have built in microphones. I have an old Yamaha MD8 which I would never give up. It is extremely easy to use and completely reliable. When I record my video for SAW I always use this machine for recording the sound. I also use an old camera for the video which I have running at the same time as the audio recorder when I try to work out the Song of the Week. Like Will I use iMovie to assemble the final video project for YouTube. The less I have to do on the computer, the better the performance seems to turn out! (At least for me...)
  36. laura809
    laura809
    John and Eddy, the OM's sounded very pretty on this one. OS, your arrangement made great use of dynamics, which suited this piece very well. Luurtie, I loved the mood that you set with the whistle, and of course, you did a great job on the mandolin too. MandoManCaleb, I liked how you enhanced your version with tremolo and chord fragments.
  37. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely arrangement, Laura. I like the chordal backing a lot, and the mandolin has a very sweet tone.
  38. luurtie
    luurtie
    Wow, Laura, beautiful. I love the way you play tremeloes!
  39. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very smooth, MandoMan, poor recording setup cannot obscure your great skills.
    Laura, another great arrangement from you. Nice tremolo. Is this a new mando - again

Here is my attempt. Just me and my mando. I spend so much time (and need so many takes) to get the mando right that I just can't come up with more tracks.
  40. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's wonderful, Manfred, I'm glad it is just you and your mando, all the better to hear the beautiful tone you get from it, great job. And very nice from Laura too, the tremolo was great, just the right amount, and really nice guitar arpeggios in the backing too. Is that an F5G? It sounds great. If you whacked those strings a bit harder, I bet it wouldn't object.
  41. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Sounding great Laura and Manfred! I really enjoyed y'alls playing!

And thanks to everyone for the recording advice! I'll bookmark this stuff and when I have some spare time look into it more seriously. I think it'd be a lot of fun to do some multitracking. I've messed around with Audacity and multitracking, but latency of the mic I have now is an issue to say the least.
  42. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Beautiful, Laura. What super tremolo and a great sounding mandolin.
    Manfred, when you asked about the chords, I got my hopes up that you'd do this one. These kind of tunes are really perfect for your embellishments and style--and the tone of that mandolin is just superb.
  43. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A beautifully plaintive rendition on solo mandolin, Manfred. Great tone there. It really is a lovely tune and each version here has added something of its own to the original.
  44. luurtie
    luurtie
    Very Nice Manfred, I really think this tune should be played this slow... Your mandolin has nice round ringing tone like my Janish. Very suitable for this tune
  45. jonny250
    jonny250
    hey Caleb that sounds great - it will be amazing if you multitrack
    Willifly [and others], thanks for the chords - i found that helpful cheers.
    Laura that sounds very cooool! i do like the quality of the audio you use.
    Good job manfred - another cool performance!
    Here is my effort [one take only on the banjer and guitar due to lack of time this week]
  46. laura809
    laura809
    Manfred, your solo arrangement had lots of feeling and beautiful tone. Jonny, very nice version. I didn't really think about using banjo on this tune, but there were some really cool parts in your arrangement, especially the arpeggios underneath the mandolin. Manfred, you caught me. MAS struck again, and this time with scroll envy. I sold my Eastman 615 and a couple other instruments and upgraded to the F5G. I am really enjoying it so far.
  47. jonny250
    jonny250
    How long have you had the F5G Laura? i wondered if thats what it was. lovin' mine
  48. laura809
    laura809
    I just got it last week. There weren't any Gibson's to try locally, but I am glad I took a chance ordering it through the mail.
  49. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    jonny, that's a nice "jazzed up" version. Seems to become your trademark.

Thanks everyone for the kind encouragement.
  50. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Laura, what year is your f5g?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast