Banish Misfortune

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Eddie Sheehy
    I've known this tune for years on the tinwhistle so I decided it was time to learn it on the mandolin... probably a mistake...

2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Wow, Eddie, you've recorded a bunch of tunes that were on MY list to record! But, no video is showing up here for some reason!
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    missed a letter in the link...
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Eddie, that was great! Your 10 string Vega, right? How is it tuned?
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Cgdae
  6. CelticDude
    CelticDude
    Here is my take on Banish Misfortune. I did make the band learn this, but it's not "square" for contra dances, so we've let it drop. Too bad; a really fun tune.

DWP
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    DWP, that was great! Eddie, that's the tuning that my fellow bandmate, Scott, uses on his short scale cittern (except an octave lower. I use GDAEA on mine).... so your 10 string mandolin is like a mandola and a mandolin combined.... probably about the same size as a mandola?
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    Yes, it's a 15" scale
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Very nice DWP.
  10. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    DWP, that was really funny and lively!

Having not much of a surprise to hold a match to that, I post my version anyway:

Bertram
  11. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram! That was great.... as always, your OM is awesome sounding! Was this video made with your new camera?
  12. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks, Barb - no, same hardware, but different software/procedure...

Old: Webcam plugged in USB-1-hub, recorded with Quicktime Broadcaster, MOV file uploaded to YouTube.

New: Webcam plugged in USB-2-socket directly on the Mac, recorded with the simple cam viewer (no compression => 1GB/min), MOV file converted into AVI with Xilisoft video converter,AVI uploaded to YouTube. All just to prove I haven't got Botox in my fingers...

Bertram
  13. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bertram said: All just to prove I haven't got Botox in my fingers...

HAHA! I know what you mean! I got that better digicam, which I'm hardly using, because the webcam is still so much more convenient.... but when I have videoed myself with the new camera, I'm like..... LORDY! Look at that chicken skin!
  14. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    A very cool tune that I'm putting on my list to learn--and the title is a big bonus, especially the way Bertram says it.
  15. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Catching up, here's this tune played on my Slingerland Tenor Banjo, in Irish Tuning (GDAE)

16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Humorous, honkytonk version, Barb! Surprisingly much sustain for a banjo, just like I used to like it back when I played one myself. Somehow, I can imagine Huck Finn playing it while rafting down the Mississippi...

Bertram
  17. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's a lovely tune!! I was about to start learning it some year ago as a part of a little similar project on the concertina forum but never did. I don't fancy too much playing Irish music (I do enjoy listening to others doing it, though), but this tune is too nice to not start working on!!
  18. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, you just might find you change your mind about playing Irish music! We seem to have quite a lot of it here in our little social group, and they are all so much fun!
  19. Susanne
    Susanne
    Maybe I'll enjoy doing it when I do it just for myself and not along with a lot of other musicians who play too fast. It's the curse of living in the south of Ireland where everything has to be played too fast, and my husband seems to have been affected by the same disease
  20. Susanne
    Susanne
    Wow, Bertram, (didn't get opportunity to listen to all the vids until now) that tune on the bouzouki/mandola/OM/whatever is amazingly beautiful. Makes me want to sit down and learn to play melodies on my bouzouki...
  21. Chris Travers
    Chris Travers
    Here's my try...

http://vimeo.com/5476730

Chris
  22. jamann
    jamann
    Barbara,
    I'm really digging your tenor banjo. I've got the itch. I GOT to get one of those! TBAS!
    Very nice job on the tune! Me likes!
  23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Warning.... TB can be addictive! I LOVE mine!
  24. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Chris, way to go. Sounds like you've been hanging out at the local session.
  25. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I love this tune, too. I enjoyed hearing all your versions, especially octave and banjo. I realized after recording this I've somehow lost some of the triplets in the course of playing with flutes and whistles that ornament like mad. I need to work those back in. This changes key and ends up in the original.

26. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Mike, cool! I like key changes within tunes....
  27. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's the style, Mike - playing an Irish tune in a green shirt, matching your avatar... Looks like any moment you'll march out with your team for a game of Hurling after preparatory percussive mandolin playing

Bertram
  28. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ha ha Bertram! I imagine in Germany, Hurling must be a game... but here, it brings to mind 'spewing' or 'puking'... as in what you do when you've downed just a FEW too many!
  29. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Barb, Hurling is one of the oldest Celtic sports, played within the GAA in Ireland. It is a bit like Hockey, only faster and more brutal. I think this was the inspiration for Quidditch.

Bertram
  30. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Yeah, a little too percussive when I listen to it this a.m. This approach works a lot better in a band setting, with a bunch of dancers stomping away on a wood floor. ... I've never seen a Hurling game, but it looks interesting. I like the part about helmets being optional.
  31. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    You've always got a great drive to your playing, Mike. That's what makes backin' you up on guitar on so much fun. I love trying to provide more propulsion to that drive! To me that's one aspect of Fire In The Belly!
  32. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    I'm quite surprised that more folks here, haven't had a go at this one!

33. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    You're putting together quite a marathon Dick. I think everyone is holding their breath waiting to see if you play every song on the list. Your Sobel sounds wonderful.
  34. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    This one has been on my "to learn" list for ages - I must get cracking and try to do that sometime soon!

Lovely version there, Dick - I'm really enjoying all your videos tremendously!
  35. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    "every song on the list"

No chance Jim, I'm afraid, as Popeye would say, .. "I yam what I yam" .... just a one trick pony.

I have had a go at a few of the tunes from other genres on the list, but I never come even close.
    The only chords I know are the Chord Trousers I wear sometimes, so all the great chord experts here just leave me standing.
    As for all that fancy double tracking stuff some of you guys do, I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Still, like Harry Callahan ( Clint Eastwood ) said: "A man's got to know his limitations"

Cheers
    Dick
  36. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    If I could play as cleanly as you Dick I'd be a happy man.
  37. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X: 1
    T:Banish Misfortune
    C:Trad
    S:Black Book
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:D
    |:e|fed cAG|A2d =cAG|F2D DED|F3 GFG|!
    A3 =cAG|AGA =cde|fed cAG|Add d2:|!
    |:e|f2d dcd|f2g agf|e2=c cAc|e2f gfe|!
    f2g agf|e2f gfe|fed =cAG|Add d2:|!
    |:e|f2g e2f|d2e =c2d|ABA GAG|F3 AFD|!
    =c3 cAG|AGA =cde|fed cAG|Add d2:|!
  38. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I'm revisiting this tune, this time on my Collings MT2O mandolin. I've been working on changing my right hand technique, trying to play more 'from the wrist', and have changed up how I hold my pick (slightly).

I just got a new pick, it's a Blue Chip CT55 (CT stands for Chris Thile~maybe that explains my improved technique, haha!)

39. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    lovely playing there Barbara!
  40. Grommet
    Grommet
    Sounds great Barbara. Is the MT2-0 D string issue all fixed? Hope so. Couldn't here anything wrong myself. I was sad when I saw your post about putting it away till someone could look at it.

Scott
  41. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I have to get around to recording this tune sometime soon, but in the meantime, here is my favourite musician playing Banish Misfortune on guitar, in a great 1981 video showing close-ups of the fretting hand for a bit of left-hand technique when playing fiddle tunes on fretted instruments:

Martin
  42. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Here is my attempt at this great tune, on my resonator tenor.

Martin
  43. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's one funny TG, Martin. Reminds me of...

But then, isn't that the mood these mixolydian tunes seem to express?
  44. etteM
    etteM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_yrplmUYfM :D trying not to wake my neighbor
  45. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Nicely played etteM! What mandolin are you playing? Do you know the 3rd part of Banish Misfortune? If so, you should play that too and it would sound even better!

Jim
  46. etteM
    etteM
    ah, I forgot to play it.. Its a Flatbush A4.
  47. Susanne
    Susanne
    Scandinavian mandolin players united with our Flatbush mandolins, LOL! Great playing!
  48. etteM
    etteM
    :D thanks! Yes, very very happy with the mando, In some of the clips Im playing a little low because it was 2.am over here, but flatbush has plenty volume and stamina:D
  49. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You make your neighbor miss all the fun, etteM
  50. cjprince
    cjprince
    Agrh! 1 sour note! Well, it was about the 10th take, and I'm tired, so it's just going to have to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast