Week #195 ~ Pig in a Pen

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Pig in a Pen, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune.

I'm not familiar with this tune, so any help will be appreciated!

Here's Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder on YouTube:

Here's Foghorn Stringband on YouTube:

2. jonny250
    jonny250
    wow that's fast mr Skaggs!!
    here's a slightly slower version:

Almost the first part of Cherokee shuffle.
  3. Doghearty
    Doghearty
    I'm partial to O&ITW. :-)
  4. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Notes and tabs of two versions can be found here:
    http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...rder=A&submit=
    I am afraid I will get stuck with one third of the Skaggs tempo.
  5. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Ha! I haven't played this song since I was in a long-haired hippy country band. (I was the one with the ponytail and the Telecaster.) Not sure what there is to do to fancy this up. Let your imagination supply the banjo and bass.

6. luurtie
    luurtie
    Thanks Mike, I first need some of such examples. Nice solo performance, no banjo and bass needed here
  7. justkaron
    justkaron
    That's GREAT Mike!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Excellent solo version of this great old song!
  9. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Nicely done, Mike. That Duff has a punch.
  10. luurtie
    luurtie
    That blackbird I captured outside is a great picker..... I'm glad with my mixing hobby, it's freezing cold outside here in Holland. Here is my slow version

11. Matt
    Matt
    Nice playing Mike!
  12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job luurtie nice singing (both parts), great mandolin and solid guitar backup.

Here's my attempt at an old style brothers style duet for mandolin and guitar. (I do have three brothers, however none of them play an instrument or sing so I recorded all the parts myself). The mandolin is my 1913 Gibson F2 and the guitar is a Baeur Parlor guitar.

13. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Here's a quick shot of mine. I'm gonna try to start keeping up with y'all on these tunes! It'll be a good way for me to stay active with the mando in the middle of a crazy semester of school! Y'all are sounding awesome on this one! I wish I could sing, but I'd quickly get booted from the group if I put you all through that!

14. luurtie
    luurtie
    Fine recording Michael, you sing very well! I always wonder how you get such a good sound quality. I ordered a Alesis Multimix like David to get better recordings.
    Caleb, you're a great picker. How do you manage to get this speed en clean sounds. I sometimes think I started to late playing mandolin after being 40 Wow that mandolin really sings!
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, the great versions are piling up early this week.
    Mike, I love solo mandolin performances, and yours is top notch. I'll bet your hippy country group was a fun show.
    And Hendrik, you've sure got the old time sound figured out. I always look forward to your performances.
    Caleb, welcome to the group. That was a barnburner! What nice tone.
    Loved it, Michael. The picking is amazing as always, and your harmony is so fun.
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    All I've got to say is all you guys are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Thanks for the kind words, guys!

What software are you guys using to edit the audio and overlay it to a video?
  18. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Fun tune! Great job, folks. Caleb, I'm going to go home and try to rip off some of your licks. Are you in A?
  19. MandoManCaleb
    MandoManCaleb
    Hey Mike, I sure am! My brain struggles in most other keys, haha.
  20. jonny250
    jonny250
    wow Mike, a great solo performance! Luurtie sounding cool, i like the combination of guitar and mando.
    Michael i always enjoy watching your cideos - lots for me to learn from in there! Caleb - you're on fire !!
    Here's my slooow attempt. Lots of firsts, i just got bandinabox, so backed up with a bass - i played the banjo and mando [backing + lead tracks] tho!
  21. luurtie
    luurtie
    Whaaah, that was a nice version, what did you say a bandinabox? Can I buy your cd?
  22. SMH
    SMH
    Jonny

Dude, was that a smile?!?!? I love your playing but you always have this intense look on your face. That's ok, I beebop around like a dork when I am playing well. Love your posts!
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    These are all great, I don't think I need to post anything here this week, you guys have done it all!
  24. jonny250
    jonny250
    lol sorry SMH you're quite right, i guess i'm concentrating way too hard, just be glad i'm not dribbling eh
    C'mon OS, show us how the band does it...
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You've got such a cool style, Jonny. It reminds me of the group Sligo Rags. And don't worry about "the look." You can join the bound and determined club of which I'm the poster child I think.
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Jeff and I were playing around with this tune tonight. Here's a version from us:
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent performance there, from you, Jeff, and the pup! I had Penn and Ernie over to practice tonight, so we took a shot at it too:

28. luurtie
    luurtie
    I know, it's not always possible to play together for mandolincafe. I shall ask my bandmembers to record something for the Song-A-Week club sometime. I'm very enthousiast about your performances "David-Penn-Ernie" and "Marcelyn-Jeff". David, Penn and Ernie are great, who is the guy does that leadsinging so well? Marcelyn, that dog is adorable.
  29. jonny250
    jonny250
    Sounds great Marcelyn and Jeff! Ditto David and crew It must be great to play with other real people...
    Its a catchy tune, but i have no idea what its about, or what some of the words mean!!!
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Don't put too much effort into grappling with the lyrics, Jonny. Scholars have been debating the symbolism of the gray bonnet and the biscuits for nearly a century.
  31. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's about a guy with a pig but no chick.

Luurtie, that's Penn McClatchey doing the lead singing on that one.
  32. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I'm quite simply stunned. What a band!
  33. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    And the hits keep on coming... Great job Jonny250. Jeff & Marcy, very nicely done also. David, Penn & Ernie, thanks for your excellent performance. It's nice to be hearing so many versions that feature the mandolin in a 'band' context. This is where the mandolin truly shines.
  34. laura809
    laura809
    Mike, great solo version. Luurtie, great version once again, and the split screen was a nice bonus. Michael, excellent improv, and this tune really seems to suit your sound. Caleb, that was very clean and very fast. Impressive! Jonny, I get very similar intense looks when I play too. I'm a big fan of editing my video to mandolin close ups. The mandolin seemed a bit quiet in the mix at the beginning, but I especially liked the last bit of soloing and the ending. Marcelyn and Jeff, this was another great tune to hear you two on. It had a really nice groove that had me bobbing around in my chair and shaking my foot. OS, what a treat to hear you with the band. Fantastic!
  35. luurtie
    luurtie
    very sweet version Laura! I love it...
  36. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very nice Laura. I plugged my speakers into the computer to appreciate your stereo recording.
    This version is the arrangement in g from mandozine which Manfred found
  37. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice mandolin breaks Laura. We'll make a bluegrasser of you yet Maudlin. Well done.