Week #6 ~ Squirrel Hunters ~ REVISITED

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    John Hartford used to announce his songs that way, Bill, and it's just really fun to do. CelticDude, great movie and fine picking. Looking forward to the sequel (I'm still working on Master Crowley.) mromkey, loved that medley: I'm sure could lure some squirrels with that pizza. Barbara, there's no slides in Celtic music? Sliding is half the fun of playing mandolin--sounds like you're playing more notes than you really are.

Enjoyed them all, folks.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Oh, I want to slide, I just haven't done it up till now! Hopefully, we'll ALL learn something new every day, from each other in this great group!
  3. billkilpatrick
    even squirrelly-er "squirrel hunters" ... weddings ... bar mitzvahs ... disco ... you name it - "have bag will blow."

4. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    My attempt. It's a bit of a copy of some other version. I never use tabs because I think you can learn to play better by just carefull listening. So this one is completely based on a version I found on youtube.

5. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Very nice!
  6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kenneth (hendrix2), that was great! I caught a glimpse of your mandolin headstock, and saw it's a Fender, can you tell us a little more about it? Sounded great!

Bill..... I read your message "have bag will blow" BEFORE I looked at the video, and I thought you were referring to airsickness bags, and the kind of blowing you do into those! I was relieved to see you actually blowing a bag.... tell us about the instrument! It was cool...

Barb
  7. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    Thanks Tracy & Barbara.
    It's a Fender FM63S. I don't know if I would buy it again if I knew what I know now, 3 years ago. It's a very beautiful instrument and it plays really well, but it sounds a bit thin (not much power) sometimes. I set it up with a very low action and it doesn't have much fret buzz (I really like low action, although I know a higher action can give more tone). It stays easy in tune and that's a main importance for me. I like the sound more when I put a mic in front of it and I can ad a little low end with my amplifier.

It's hard to find some mandolins here in Belgium so it is really hard to compare instruments. Next time I'm buying a mandolin, I'll probably will travel outside the country for it.
  8. billkilpatrick
    kenneth - check out these sites in the u.k.:

http://www.cranesmusicstore.com/stri...s-c-49_54.html
    http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/erol.html#120x0

i bought my oval-hole "F" on-line from cranes, in cardiff, wales - very happy with it, good service too - and trevor at the acoustic music company in brighton, essex, has some really lovely mandolins in a higher price range. a day trip to brighton shouldn't be too difficult.

complimenti on your video - well listened indeed and well played.

barbara - the pipe is called a gaida, from bulgaria and i can't promise to never-ever to do it again ...
  9. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    Thanks for the sites. In one of my scenario's for a new instrument I'll visit the UK, it's only a one day trip and there would be time enough to visit some other places too

I really liked that bulgarian bag :D seems like you can make a lot of noise with that!!
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, looks like a good way to get your music AND your respiratory therapy, all at the same time!!!
  11. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I don't know, looks dangerous to me... he's wearing eye protection! Or is that just your incognito disguise?
  12. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Just when you thought it was safe to stop obsessing about this tune ... this link went up over at Compton's Google group chat thing, Taterbugmando. Mike, aka Tater, plays it down an octave in this video, with David Long. I gotta try this when I knock off "work" for today and head home. (g) Couldn't get the video to download and upload to YouTube, but hopefully the link will get you there. It's a cool rendering of said tune.

http://www.johnhartford.org/Videos/L...%20Hunters.wmv
  13. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    I finally recorded my version - here it is on my Eastman 815. Tom

14. John Hill
    John Hill
    Nice playing everyone. I'm in the stone age with no video capabilities yet and don't have anything to post. I always enjoy tackling a tune that Compton has put his stamp on...though I never knew Tater had the ponytail.
  15. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Hendrix2...what kind of pick do you use? Not tortoise shell is it?
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    John, Welcome! That's the good thing about this group (I hope!) that even those who don't have the ability to video, or don't feel up to it yet, can surely be using this group as a learning tool!
  17. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I gotta say, Bill's bagpipe version has to be the last word on this tune. Bill, you are the man. Hendrix and Tom, nice posts, but bagpipes trump all. ... Joe, tonight I tried a BlueChip for the first time. The guy I got the '5 from sent me a couple. I have to say it's enticed me away from my faux tortise Red Bear. Remind me and I'll give you one to try. I have 2 or 3. They're pretty cool.
  18. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    Joe, I used a Dunlop Nylon 1.0 mm on this song. I really should play some thicker pick, but I like this one so much. On guitar I use Dunlop Gators 1.14mm, but on the mandolin I don't like those.
  19. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I cannot get this song to save my life! I can hear it in my head note for note, but when I go through the tab I get past the first 10 notes or so... and then I lose it. So I run through it in my head again, note for note... start at the beginning... and lose it. Maybe the tab I'm using is JUST different enough to throw me off, I don't know. I think I need to start a "Forrest Gump of Mandolins" group!!
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Tracy, fwiw, I ignored the music, except a bit of the first and second parts just to get them started, and tried to repeat what my mind replayed from the vid of the the Wilders...
  21. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    Maybe you can try it without a tab? Or make some adjustments in your tab so it fits with the tune in your head.
    Something I do a lot when I learn new tunes is to slow it really down. If you have an mp3 of the song, there are lots of free programms (audacity, even Windows Media Player,...) that can slow it down. You can slow it so far down you can hear note by note and so you can write your own tab down, or just try to remember those notes.
    If you don't have an mp3 of the song, you can rip the audio of a youtube movie to mp3 format. It requires a little free program too (it gets complicated with all those programms :D)
  22. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Ok I watched everyone's of the version of this tune and was inspired to try my hand. It is interesting how many interpretations there are on it.

I think its a tricky song I worked on it for a couple of hours and I still have a long way to go -- the video is not so great because as usual I started "thinking" half way through it

23. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Amazing Bernie!! That was some great pickin!
  24. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Thank you Kyle - after I posted that one I finally had a "break through" on the "B" part so I'm going to post put up a better version shortly.

Tracy on this song -- I took a quick look at the tab and I don't think it is intended to be the same song as some of those pros (like Compton or the Wilders) that we are using a "go by's" -- maybe it could be worked up I'm not sure.

On this song I just kept trying to make the sound in my head come out of the mandolin -- if you can get the opening notes it will come for you.

Start with a double stop index finger on E(3) and second finger on A(5) -- now hit it and slide right done to another double stop E(5) A(7) that is a great opening sound;

briefly tremolo the double stop and then immediately stike A(2);

then a triple on the E(0) to E(2) followed by E(3) -- then keep the 2nd finger on E(3) and drop you ring finger on A(5) (another double stop) and strike it twice

then make a down-up run on the A string 2 5 5 3 2 --- and that is the opening phrase.

I could post a slowed down version -- but I'm not the one to try to teach anyone -- one of the better players could do it though.

This is a very cool song and I think you can learn a lot about trying to get that fiddle sound on this tune.

I'd like to see a slow version that OldSausage came up at a slower pace and without the back up -- that is a great version. There were many others also -- but his stuck in my mind.

Just a thought
  25. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Eddie -- I just read your comment -- yes I agree. The fiddle version but the woman in the Wilders was hypnotic - -when I heard that I knew I had to play around with this tune. David Long is really (or he used to be) into making fiddle sounds on the mandolin -- I love to hear what he does on this tune.
  26. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    hedrix2 -- I just listened to your great video again and I am going to try to steal from you if you don't mind!

Its great -- you get an exceptionally clean tone from your picking -- that will never happen for me unfortunately.

BTW has anyone ever successfully edited a post in these social group strings?
  27. Eddie Sheehy
    I edit mine all the time, I'm a loosey speler...
  28. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice, Bernie. And I dig your Gibson. I agree about the Wilders version. I really like it. There's a temptation to play these tunes too fast. Speed kills, tone rules. (Not that I always practice what I preach.) I respectfully submit that the whole key to learning and playing this tune is the B in measure two of part B.
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bernie, can I try to help you with editing your posts? What is it you're trying to do, and having a problem with? Barb
  30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well Bernie, since you asked for it, and since my new webcam just arrived, here's the slow version. I don't do all the repeats, I just do each part once so you can see how it's played.

31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OldSausage... thanks!!!! You make it look so easy! Since I'm completely new to doing a slide, it was nice to be able to clearly see you do those!
  32. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    David, that's very helpful! I've almost gotten it worked out today; this will help me finish it!
  33. billkilpatrick
    yeah, david - thanks heaps. like they say - "it's easy when you know how..."

maybe ... maybe this time.
  34. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    Just noticed I play this tune incorrectly :D I play a C# where you guys play a normal C.

Bernie, steal all you like, I probably stole it myself from someone :D
  35. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I wouldn't say that was incorrect, a lot of people play that C# and make good use of it too. It works either way.
  36. billkilpatrick
    i have to say ... this tune just blew me away. i'm questioning whether i heard it right ... if i hold my pick correctly ... can i even play this thing! ... a total loss of confidence. i'm sure it has something to do with this fascinating (to me) "shuffle" style of play and incorporating sliding double stops into the melodic line - but in any case, i'm back to point zero.

the chord sequence that makes sense to me - what i hear between the ears - begins with Am.
  37. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, I sat down with one of my fellow bandmates, and played this tune, for her to help me with what SHE thought were good chords.. and she came up with Am as the first chord.... the whole tune being Am's G's & D's.
  38. hendrix2
    hendrix2
    you coulds do something like this:

Am | Am | G | G | Am | Am | D | C | (etc.)

The D switching to C gives it a nice vibe.

The way I play it: A A G G A A Dm C (using the C# instead of the C in my A chords so I get an A instead of Am)
  39. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Part of the fun of this tune is that you are playing an A minor melody over an A major chord. A lot of these old fiddle tunes work like this.

Playing a minor third against a major chord is also an essential part of the blues sound - well, I'm sure you know all that.
  40. billkilpatrick
    "Playing a minor third against a major chord is also an essential part of the blues sound - well, I'm sure you know all that."

yeah ... i'm thinking about having - what you said - tattooed on my forearm ...
  41. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    here are some thoughts on this tune (although I don't make any claims of knowing what I am talking about )

42. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Given that I've heard you sing the blues, Bill, I wouldn't think that was the first tattoo you got.
  43. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Many thanks "oldsausage" -- very nice job! That new web cam is very cool and your picking if first rate!

Barb -- I'm really not sure what is going on with the editing. I can edit regular posts (on the main message board) just fine but I've never been able to edit anything in any of the social groups - it just hangs with an hour glass -- kind of weird -- if I ever get motivated I might try to get to the bottom of it -- but I'm not going to hold my breath

Thanks for the offer.
  44. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    I really enjoyed listening to your analysis Chris -- pretty neat!

Thanks much.
  45. Don Christy
    Don Christy
    Someone asked about David Long playing it, and I was just about to post the link to Mike and David at Gribble's house concert ... but I see Mike beat me to it.

I was fortunate enought to be at that GREAT show. It was the first time I had seen either Mike or David live and it was just before Stomp was officially released (a great album by the way). I hosted them for a house concert a little over a year later when they were back in St. Louis and after Stomp had been released.

Needless to say, them boys can flat tear it up!

Don
  46. ChrisStewart
    ChrisStewart
    Thanks Bernie, it is a bit embarrassing since I am technically deficient but for me learning to play by ear is as useful as learning songs note for note.

I am starting to find that if I can pull out one simple bit of melody line from a song and fill in the rest with a bit of noodling (and even better playing out of a chord) than I can play a break on many songs.

My band does mostly songs with only a few fiddle tunes and up to now my wife has supplied almost all the breaks because she can pick up most songs instantly. We had a practice last night and I actually pulled out a decent break on the Crawdad Song that I had never even attempted before.
  47. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    Don: "Needless to say, them boys can flat tear it up!"

Oh yah!!!

And thanks Mike for posting that -- I missed it earlier. I sat in on a session at the first Monroe Style mandolin camp few years ago and David did a session on trying to get that fiddle sound. Except for a session with Mike Compton "Monroe the later years" that was the highlight of the camp for me
  48. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    I am finally caught up!

I guess I shouldn't have included the chop chords because I am just learning them and D and Em didn't really all sound that good. Actually, I dont know even know the Em chop chord so I sorta just added on a note to the 2 finger chord. Oh well, enjoy!

49. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was good! You are such a fast learner!
  50. Sore Ears
    Sore Ears
    Woops, wrong way.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast