1. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Today is dovetail day - very nervous.
  2. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Go for it!
  3. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Take your time. Don't rush it. Leave yourself material for fitting. My biggest failing is trying to get it right on the first try.
  4. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Thanks fellas - it went pretty well - a few small errors - hardly noticeable.
    I posted some pics in 'mandolins in progress'.
  5. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Looks great! This is a fun stage, really starts looking like an instrument now instead of a bunch of separate pieces!
  6. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Yeah sure does. Have you noticed how noone comments on them in the 'Mandolins in Progress' thread unless they are finished and shiny. I call it the 'Steve Sorensen marketing dept.' thread.
  7. Wilbur Tabacsko
    Wilbur Tabacsko
    Looking good Peter. I was wondering if you have checked your string height where the bridge will sit. I hope I'm wrong but it looks like it will be high. I had this problem with one of mine, it sounded really bad and was no easy fix.
  8. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    It's pretty close to my plans at the moment. If anything a little low with a bridge height of about 18mm. The bridge height on my Eastman is 21mm. I've factored in a fretboard thickness of 5mm and a very low action. The string break angle should be about 17 degrees.
  9. Wilbur Tabacsko
    Wilbur Tabacsko
    Glad to hear that. There are a few things in mando building that I have discovered needs a lot of pre-planning. This being one of them.
  10. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Yes indeed - I've been drawing up the plans for 10 months.
    Andrew Mowry's calulator is a great help.
  11. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    That looks like a really challenging dovetail joint the way it fits around the end of the body. There are no automated ways of doing that type of joint that I have seen. Nicely done.