Week #190 ~ We Wish You A Merry Christmas

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is a traditional Christmas song, We Wish You a Merry Christmas.

Here is a link to the song on abcnotation.com

and the abc from that page:

X:23001
    T:We Wish You A Merry Christmas
    R:Waltz
    C:Trad.
    O:England, Sussex
    Z:Paul Hardy's Xmas Tunebook 2012 (see www.paulhardy.net). Creative Commons cc by-nc-sa licenced.
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    Q:1/4=180
    K:G
    D2|"G" G2 GAGF|"C" E2 C2 E2|"A" A2 ABAG|"D" F2 D2 D2|
    "B" B2 BcBA|"Em" G2 E2 DD|"C" E2 A2 "D" F2|"G" G4 D2||
    "G" G2 G2 G2|"D" F4 F2|"A" G2 F2 E2|"D" D4 A2|
    "B" B2 AA G2|"D" d2 D2 DD|"C" E2 A2 "D" F2|"G" G6|]

W:We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas,
    W:We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
    W:Glad tidings we bring, to you and your kin,
    W:We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

and here's Roland White on mandolin!

2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here is Roland White's arrangement
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

I asked myself what O S and Michael are going to do with this tune- probably don their Santa Claus hats and bluegrass it up; so that's what I did too.
  4. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job on both versions! I must say that your crosspicking is getting very impressive.
  5. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Nice one Maudlin. I sensed a bit of a baroque sound in that one.
  6. richieb
    richieb
    Here's my 1st submission to this group, although I've been stalking you guys for months! It's a simple, no frills version of the tune, which I just posted to the newbies group a week or so ago:

7. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Richie. Welcome. Great 1st post. Very clean picking and up to tempo.
    I like both versions MM.
    I love Roland White. A true gentleman and funny too.
    Gary
  8. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Maudlin, I truly enjoyed your very festive version and wish I could do that! Richie, it's obvious you should be posting here -- you did played a great tune! I absolutely love the look and sound of your mando... information, please!
  9. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've stumbled across a really nice four-part harmony arrangement of this tune here:

Link to PDF sheet music

I've recorded this on the four instruments shown in the video:

1. Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin
    2. 1925 Jul. Heinr. Zimmermann waldzither (tuned GDAEA)
    3. Garry Probert resonator tenor guitar (tuned GDAE)
    4. Ozark tenor guitar (tuned GDAE)

I'm doubling the melody on mandolin and the reso tenor, using the waldzither for the high harmony and the acoustic tenor for the low harmony. I'm not playing the bass line from the arrangement.

I've also thrown some photos of our Christmas decorations into the video...

Martin
  10. richieb
    richieb
    Kay, it's a Big Muddy, model MW-OW. custom ordered from Mike Dulak. Big Muddy doesn't do rosettes, or any ornamentation. But Mike knows a woman artist that decorated it with a wood burn process around the sound hole.

Martin: Super sweet! Overdubbing is something I'd like to get into, what software do you use? I'm looking for something simple to use and hopefully free! The multitracking and multiple camera angles, slide shows, etc. is something I have no knowledge about.
  11. luurtie
    luurtie
    Here it is, after the wonderful versions of Maudlin and Richie and the beautiful renaissance mix from Jonas.
    I mixed it up with accordeon and xylofoon. I hope you all feel a little christmas in it....

12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Luurtie: that is some neat lead playing (love the ornamentation) and very nice guitar backing. Like it!

richieb: I'm using Audacity for overdubbing, which is free, powerful and very straightforward to use. Good practice for timing, too, similar to practicing with a metronome. I tend to start with the rhythm track and then add the lead and harmonies. When there's no rhythm track in the arrangement (like here, for example), timing is trickier and it can be useful to a click track generated by Audacity which you can delete later. I haven't quite progressed to overdubbing video yet (as luurtie has) -- that's trickier as you need to split the audio track from the video, edit the audio separately and then resynchronise with the video. I haven't quite identified the right software yet that will work well with my webcam and USB mike.

Martin
  13. jonny250
    jonny250
    Maudlin's on fire with those two versions! very good.
    Richard and MJ sounding good too. Luurtie, i will learn a lot from watching your videos... very Christmassy too
    I would like to say a big Thank You to everyone in this excellent music group - i have learnt loads from watching and listening and from having a go! off on christmas hol's now so wont be posting for a bit, but i hope you all have a good one!
    Here's my attempt;
  14. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    Hey now we're all full of the holiday spirit! Fun stuff, folks! I think it's time for eggnog now.
  15. luurtie
    luurtie
    Jonny, it's nice to see how each person has his own style. I was surprised when I heard you play this, we all learn from eachother. Doesn't it bother you at all when somebody's throwing paint at you while you're playing?
  16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very festive indeed Jonny. Here's my version, a bit of a slow dark waltz, this turned into, but whatever, it is Christmas after all...

17. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    This is turning out to be a great tune and now I wish I had voted for it. Jonny, your santa suit touch is a perfect accompaniment to your wonderful playing. David... my favorite players are Butch Baldassari and Jethro Burns; your performance reminded me so much of Butch's playing, and is absolutely wonderful!
  18. laura809
    laura809
    Nice tremelo OS. The improv part at the end had a neat feel to it. Jonny, the effects were very entertaining and I enjoyed the variations you put in. Luurtie, it's good to see you posting. That was quite a production. Martin, that arrangement added some nice variation. Richie, that was a great first post to the group and a solid performance. Maudlin, I especially enjoyed the cross picking. You are getting very good at that. Here's my basic version. The holidays have me a little too busy to spruce it up, but I still like to try to do at least a basic version of everything.
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounding good, Laura, nice job!

Thanks for your very kind comment, Kay.
  20. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi ther that sounds good. Here I go with my meagre attempts for chords and perhaps a tentative Christmas song? Well that is if my fingers obey. All this amidst the preparation of Christmas delicacies.
  21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Wishing you all ....
  22. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Bravo, Manfred, you're sounding great!
  23. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Manfred that sounds good. Well done to all.

Vanillamando
  24. Kadenza910
    Kadenza910
    Merry Christmas! And thanks for the supportive comments as I try to figure out mandolin.

-Katie

25. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job Katie, sounds really nice. Keep an eye on that pick direction - play downstrokes on the downbeats (1, 3, 5, 7) and upstrokes on the upbeats (2,4,6,8). Takes a while to get the hang of it, but it will really help you progress once you have it down and it becomes second nature. Merry Christmas, and keep posting the videos!
  26. laura809
    laura809
    That's great advice from OS. Your skills are coming along nicely Katie. It is sounding good, and the tree makes a lovely backdrop.
  27. luurtie
    luurtie
    The looks and a bit skills of Sierra Hull... You did very well Katie!