Gallery

1. Altar
    Altar
    Finished builds only.
  2. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Ha - I won't be posting here for a while yet then.
  3. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Glad to finally be posting something here! The build process has been a long journey and quite a learning experience. This is the first instrument I have ever built, made from scratch using non-traditional woods. Rift cut red cedar top, one piece poplar back, poplar sides, maple and walnut neck. Binding and armrest are walnut, made from pallet wood a friend found. Rosewood fingerboard. All inlays are maple. Bridge is an 11-hole one piece maple bridge following Red Henry's example. I think I will make another maple bridge topped with either walnut or rosewood as I continue to work on set-up as I think it would look better. Mandolin was finished with Tru-oil. Finishing was an unexpectedly difficult step but I think the result is acceptable. Quite a few imperfections in this instrument but I'll not point them out and don't think many folks will notice! Photos of the build and finished mandolin are in a photo album in my profile as I still can't seem to post photos here. The mandolin fits nicely in a Travelite case. I will be posting some YouTube videos in the Song-A-Week social group if you want to hear it!
  4. Wilbur Tabacsko
    Wilbur Tabacsko
    Great looking mando Aaron. How long did it take to build it? I only noticed one imperfection but will not tell.
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A very fine instrument, Aaron. Finish looks great in the photos.
  6. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I have been working on this instrument for just about one year although I think I spent a considerably larger amount of time collecting, tuning and building tools, fixtures and jigs than I actually spent building the instrument. I'm sure that no. 2 will go faster.
  7. Wilbur Tabacsko
    Wilbur Tabacsko
    Not quite finished but it is finished. Here is my number six. It's taken me over a year to get it to this point. The customer wanted a red cherry sunburst. I tried to resist but he won. Sitka spruce top, big-leaf maple back and neck, blood wood binding. Still deciding on truss rod cover.

8. Altar
    Altar
    Gorgeous.
  9. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Nice work.
  10. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    That is a fine looking mandolin! I love the grain in the back, it really pops!
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Lovely work! I agree with you about trying to dissuade the client about the red finish, but he who pays the piper....
    That back is gorgeous.
  12. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Today I decided to hand cut my binding channel with a home made tool and my favourite chisel - came out pretty well I think.

13. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    sorry about the oversize pics - I'll work on that.
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Neat job there. How does the home-made tool come into use - is it a marker before you start chiselling, or does it guide the chisel?
  15. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    It's a scalpel blade attached to some bits of wood, and the whole thing works a bit like a purfling cutter. I discovered scalpel blades snap very easily.
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I see it now! Great idea and looks totally usable. I have a purfling cutter a colleague made for me afew years ago ans it works really well but uses 1/4" round bar lathe tool stock which I have to grind to make the cutter and this needs a lot of resharpening - the scalpel blade seems a really good alternative.
  17. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    I got the idea from Peter Coombe's device he made for cutting soundhole Rosette channels John.
    http://www.petercoombe.com/Soundhole_trim.htm
  18. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner

I finished binding the top but it was a real ordeal. in some places, most notably on the tight curves, the binding ledge ended up around 3mm. Sydney Bluegum is really belligerent when you try to bend it at the best of times but at that thickness it was nigh impossible. I'm not that happy with the varying thicknesses (if that's a word) I may end up colouring the whole mandolin in an attempt to hide such inconsistencies.