Week #185 ~ Donnybrook Fair

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Donnybrook Fair, which was submitted as a jig. I'm not familiar with this tune! Thesession.org says: Also known as Andy Keone's, Aonach Domhnach Broc, Aonach Domhnach Brocach, The Humours Of Donnybrook, The Joy Of My Life, The Joys Of Love, Joys Of My Life, The Joys Of My Life, Kiss Me I'm Irish, The River Cree.

Here's a link to the tune on thesession.org

and the abc from that site:

X: 1
    T: Donnybrook Fair
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Gmaj
    |:GFG AGA|Bee dBA|BAB GAB|AGE DED|G2G A2A|
    Bee dBA|B2B GAB|AGF G3:|gfe fed|efe dBA|
    Bee dBA|Bee e2f|1gfe fed|efe dBA|BAB GAB|
    AGF G2f:|2gfg aga|bge dBA|B2B GAB|AGF G3|

Here is a link to the tune from John Chamber's collection on abcnotation.com

and the abc from that site:

X:1
    T:Donnybrook Fair
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    R:Jig
    K:G
    D | "G"G2G "D"AGA | "Em"Bee "D7"dBA | "G"BAB "Em"GAB |"Am"AGE "D"E2D \
    | "G"G2G "D"AGA | "Em"Bee "D7"dBA | "G"BAB GAB | "D"AGF "G"G2 :|
    f |"Em"gfe "D"fed | "C"ege "D"dBA | "Em"Bee "D"dBA |"Em"Bee e2f \
    |"Em"gfe "D"fed | "C"ege "D7"dBA | "G"BAB GAB | "D"AGF "G"G2 |]
    f |"Em"gfe "D"fed | "C"ege "D"dBA | "Em"Bee "D"dBA |"Em"Bee "C"e2f \
    | "G"gfg "D"aga | "C"bge "D7"dBA | "G"BAB GAB |"D7"AGF "G"G2 |]
  2. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Donnybrook Fair, a lovely jig......I need to play more and hopefully the overtime will die down over the next few months but it pays the bills!!!!!

3. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Tosh. Good to see your 'Ship' a cruisin' again. Sounds great.
    Gary
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Tosh. As GK says. good to see you back. Love that monitor in the background - I could really get the multi-tracking and the video editing done on that!
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    very nice Tosh, good to see the specky's leading the way

haven't had a chance to learn this properly yet, so just reading it as i play

6. laura809
    laura809
    Nice job Tosh and Gortnamona. It is rare that I learn any of the songs of the week "properly".
    I talked my friend Erika into helping me out for this one. That was much easier than multi-tracking.
  7. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well played Tosh, Gort and Laura! Laura its a lot easier with a buddy playing along isnt it
    I'm working on having a go at this one...
  8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I play Gort's video late in the evening and really enjoy it. The "other half" enters the room.

She: "Is that you playing, hon?"

Me: "I wish."

She: "Yes, I thought it was a bit above your level."

Great performances by everyone! Worth watching again and again.
  9. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well i've struggled with this tune a bit, i couldnt play it through without the backing track as i kept speeding up and then losing the plot! , so had to get the guitar out for the first time in months.
    Here's my attempt:
  10. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Well played Gortnamona, Laura and Jonny250, I think in Laura's and Jonny's case the guitar fills the tune out nicely. GK & John, thanks for the kind words.....
  11. Eddie Sheehy
    Quick and dirty... played on aVega 10-string Cylinderback Mandolute...

12. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice version Eddy!
    I'm trying here to be a multiinstumentalist but I messed this one up very bad. I had a lot of fun making this, but I'm a lousy bodhran-player

13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

A late entry for this one
  14. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    just messing about with a used Capek A4 i picked up recently, though i would try a wee jig set, stick the knife and pull it again/the donnybrook fair/east at glendart, not really sure if they work together and i did make a few blunders

15. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Finally got round to recording this one, didn't realise how long had passed since it was SAW.
    Recorded it alongside Joan's Jig, by Henry Clough from Northumberland.