Week #184 ~ Cumberland Gap

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Cumberland Gap, which I found described as an Appalachian folk song.

I'm not familiar with this tune. If anyone can add any links, I'd appreciate it!

Here's a link to the song's history on Wikipedia.

I found this standard notation.

Here's another, with standard notation, mandolin tab, and words, from Jay Buckey.

On to YouTube:

Earl Scruggs & Lester Flatt

2nd South Carolina String Band

Mike Seeger

Southern String Band (with a tiny dancer!)

2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Here's the classic No1 from Lonnie Donegan
  3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Pick a key... any key! Pick a tempo... any tempo! Sing? Go ahead! Don't? Don't worry!
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's something I've found while looking through old time performances. There's a three-part version that is generally played as an instrumental fiddle tune. There's also the folk song that old time musicians sing along with.
    This couple does a great job demonstrating both versions.

5. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I couldn't find a written version that I liked so I listened to this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wqjWaX1u6w until I could come up with a simplified version of what they were playing. Both the octave mandolin and the mandolin are tuned to ADAE which makes the A chord at the beginning of the B part ring and hopefully gives it some old time feel.

6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The tuning certainly lets the A chord ring and ring (I think your instruments help a lot too!) Lovely version with tons of old time appeal. Excellent arrangement, and most importantly to old time music, you can dance to it!
  7. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's the same video I finally found to work with today too, David. But now, I'm finding it much easier to learn the tune from yours. I really like that tuning. What a great arrangement.
  8. jonny250
    jonny250
    Wow David that was brilliant i enjoyed listening.
  9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Here's my take on the three-part fiddle tune.
  10. John Arabi
    John Arabi
    Fantastic Marcelyn, just what I was searching for, a mandolin version I could shoot for.

I did find this fun barn burner while searching:
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done, Marcelyn! There's a great old time feel in your mandolin on this one!
  12. laura809
    laura809
    Excellent versions David and Marcelyn. You came up with some nice variations which really enhance this tune. I based my version off of Jay Buckley's tab, which has a basic repetitive melody line and a break. I changed a couple of parts in the break that I didn't like, and played it loosely for some variation.
    My computer hasn't been behaving lately when I try to run Logic and iMovie together, so I had to revert to recording my mandolin directly over a backing track.

13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    David, really a great dance sound.
    Marcy, you did it again and made the tune your Old Timey own with your double stops, drones and slides.
    Laura, don't worry about the hardware, your playing doesn't need the technology. Great job.
  14. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well played Marcelyn and Laura
    Marcelyn i like how you get that mandolin ringing!

Here is my attempt at this song, i get a bit lost at the end lol:
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Two more nice ones! I like the double stops Jonny, and that version had a toe tapping rhythm. Laura, you're always impressive with the improvisation and fancy variations.
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Laura, great variations to the melody -- well done.
    jonny250: those slides to the unison notes are great sounding. Very nice playing!
  17. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    so, we do the three-part version akin to the string band rendition (with the little dancer). I guess they are doing my "A" and "C" parts. Here is also my new Muth mandolin.

f-d

18. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice job on a great sounding mandolin fatt-daddy!

Here's my version played on a mandolin, guitar and 5 string banjo (tuned f#BEAD). I'm a little late because my wife and I were on vacation...

19. WayneLetang
    WayneLetang
    Is that gretsch mandolin Micheal?
  20. jonny250
    jonny250
    well played f-d; nice to be playing outside still i should think; too cold to do so here!
    Michael, great sound as always i like what you did in the B part on the 2nd [?] fret 1st string hammer-ons... food for thought for me.
  21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Sorry I forgot to put down the instruments used. That's a 1984 Kentucky mandolin model KM600. (There's a new Kentucky mandolin with the same model number but it's different from mine.) The guitar is a Simon and Patrick and the banjo is an open back 5 string Goldtone.

Jonny, that's the beauty of playing more than one instrument. You can borrow things from the other instruments and put 'em on your mandolin!
  22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's awesome, Michael! What a perfect old time combination of instruments and vocals. Jeff will love that great banjo playing.
  23. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    great job michael! You have great technique too!

f-d
  24. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Here's an old one for the group but a new one for us. Beautiful day to sit out.
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    It sure was a pretty day to play outside yesterday. Y'all sound terrific on this tune. I'm loving the banjo.
  26. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Playing is a bit headless but wonderful old-timey.
    Thanks for reminding me that I was once working on the Jethro version. Determined to practice and post it.
  27. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice pickin' on both the mandolin and the banjo. Love that plunky tone from the banjo!
  28. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    That sounds great, I could listen to that kind of stuff all day.