Week #181 ~ The Belfast Hornpipe

1. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    As Barbara annouced that she may be in the woods, Internet-less, I dare to post this week's winner:

The Belfast Hornpipe.
    ABC from The Session:

X: 1
    T: Belfast, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: hornpipe
    K: Dmaj
    |:ag|faef deAF|DFAd f2ef|gbeg deAF|GBAG E2ag|
    faef deAF|DFAd f2ef|gfed cABc|d2f2 d2:|
    |:DE|GFGA Bcde|fgfe dcdB|A2f2 fef2|G2e2 ede2|
    GFGA Bcde|fgfe dcdB|Afed cABc|d2f2 d2:|
    |:ag|fgef decd|BcAB G2ba|gafg efde|cdBc A2ag|
    fgef decd|BcAB GAFG|Efed cABc|d2f2 d2:|

Sheet music:
    http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/4
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/fo...t_hornpipe.htm
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's a gem:

3. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Many thanks, Manfred! Now, back to camping!!!
  4. laura809
    laura809
    Would it suit the hornpipe style more to pick the individual triplets, or use hammers-ons and pull-offs for those notes?
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    mix and match - variety is the best use of ornamentation.
  6. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    I know this one! I hope to get time to record it soon. I have been busy the last while with a new job, moving house and a new baby imminent. In the meantime here's an oldie."

7. laura809
    laura809
    I really enjoyed the version by Barbara's band that Eddie posted. It was fun to play along with and helped me learn the tune. Pedyrmac, that was a nice medley on the banjo. It looks like there is something posted below it, but it is not showing up for me.

8. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I love hornpipes! This is so tempting ...

I'm so impressed with all those backing tracks that you use. Are these multi-track recordings, or do you play back over speakers while recording the lead?
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great effort, Laura. I hoped you would be doing the triplet-laden version.
    I have been working on that one too, but so far I have to play it very slowly to be able to do the triplet barrages in the third part in single notes.
  10. laura809
    laura809
    Gelsenbury, most of my recent posts are multi-track recordings. When I first started posting on the cafe I typically played a backing track through my speakers while I recorded the lead on video.
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very nice hammer-ons Laura. This is the Session version with syncopation.
  12. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice, Maudlin.
    Is this a new mandolin?
    Where is your tie?
  13. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Same old Gremlin, Manfred, but with a new golden tailpiece.
    Please pardon the attire; I had just been indulging in some sporting activity.
  14. Francis J
    Francis J
    Nice playing Laura, Maudlin and peddyrmac. I haven't posted in a while, so I'm going to get back in the saddle with this one. Peddyrmac, thats some catalogue of change in your life! I wish you the very best with all of it, especially your baby.

15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great work on this finger buster everyone. And I'll second the congratulations on your new baby Peddyr.
    That is one killer arrangement, Francis. I hope I can get my fingers moving that quickly someday.
  16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That's great Francis. And a very brisk tempo for the triplets.
  17. Colin Braithwaite
    Colin Braithwaite
    Nice tune this week; good versions all!

Here's mine...

18. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    OK, here is my go at it. I'm traveling so this was shot in a hotel room in Memphis (there could be a song in that...). The triplets kicked my you know what! This was a good one for the song of the week though.

19. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    a whistle version from the dubliners

20. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    ...and my version
  21. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Laura,

what a beautiful version. I am going to have to try and 'borrow' your phrasing for this one in future.
  22. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    We've already done this one but it sure is popular, maybe we'll do it again!!