Week #180 ~ Saddle the Pony

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Saddle the Pony, which was submitted as an IT (Irish Trad) tune. It's a jig.

Here is a link to notation on Traditional Irish Music

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org and the abc from that site:

X: 1
    T: Saddle The Pony
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Gmaj
    D|GBA G2B|def gdB|GBA G2B|AFD AFD|
    GBA G2B|def gfg|efe dBA|BGG G2:||
    d|efe edB|def gfg|efe edB|dBA ABd|
    efe edB|def gfg|efe dBA|BGG G2:||

If you go to You Tube and search the tune, there are MANY versions to see and hear!
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Whoopee! May well be first with this one. Anticipated the voting and got my version done yesterday, using mandolin with guitar backing. The rhythm sound is one of those wee egg-shaped shakers! A great tune once again, Barbara.

3. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    I ran though this tune a few times this morning then recorded it. I'm familiar with the tune, but never played it before. It's actually a fun tune.

Played on the Commodium Mandola tuned DGDA.

4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    After two weeks of defeat, this has finally won?
    Ok, Mr John Kelly is not the only one to foresee the future, though with a better timing and more new ideas (next time, I'll wedge a salt shaker between my toes to make a rhythm). I did mine a few days ago, it is the second one in this set:

5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Surprise! This is a tune I already knew! I moved in these last few months, actually, I started moving, then left home for 3 months, and the rest of my stuff got moved while I was gone! I'm back home, finally got my computer set up, had to get a different internet (now I'm using Verizon's mobile internet), and I remembered how to video, and got it uploaded! Earlier this year, for some reason, my computer stopped being able to upload anything decent to You Tube, and I switched to Vimeo. When I tried uploading it to Vimeo this time, I was unsuccessful, but tried You Tube, and it seemed to work!

So, here's mine, not flawless (but when it is ever??) three times through on my Collings MT2O mandolin! You'd have thought I could have gotten dressed and brushed my hair.... haha!

6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well done Barbara and welcome back. I have known this tune for a good number of years. So here is my mini session version on my Sobell's, concertina and guitar.

7. Eddie Sheehy
    I've been practicing this all week on every instrument I have. I'll give it a go on the Beard OM...

8. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    So many interesting versions with choice of instruments and pace. Interesting too to compare the fingering and picking styles we are all using. Looking forward to more versions in the next few days.
  9. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Yes, the very version variations bite the biscuit.
    Barb: attire and hair-do lend a lovely Peig Sayers atmosphere to this tune (there were flaws?)
    Hastyman: that instrument is a blast - didn't know they make bedpans so big (is there a bass version, too?)
    David: that HOPO in the B part sounded comfortingly familiar to me - I am not that alone after all.
    Eddie: great speed for a long scale OM, and you play EVERY note!
  10. Tavy
    Tavy
    Lovely playing everyone. John - I particularly liked the shaky egg - makes such a nice change to hear one played in time!
  11. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    What nice variations by all.
    And what an array of beautiful instruments. And Hastyman's can even multi-task.
    Gary
  12. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    I can picture somebody tossing that saddle right on the pony and riding off. All great versions. That's practically a whole session, David. I kept starting to play Merrily Kissed the Quaker's when I practiced this one ... yeesh.
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great work everyone. Speed demons galore!
    When I try to play up to MY speed I can't achieve the lilt I can hear in some of the performances here. Oh well ...

14. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    It's wonderful!! I'm new here..but got the music for "Saddle the Pony" the other day and I'm practicing. I love listening to all of you!!
  15. laura809
    laura809
    There are lots of great versions this week. I tried to play along with many of you to learn the tune, but I had trouble keeping up. John, that egg shaker gave your version a lot of energy. Barbara, it is great to see you posting again. David Hansen, I know I say it a lot, but that was a particularly fine arrangement. All of the octave mandolin versions inspired me to pull mine out for the second time through.
  16. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Laura, the OM fits under the mandolin like a bagel under a slice of cheese, soundwise. Incredibly solid.
    Plus, your OM is looking very cool with that dark nut, like there was no nut at all.
  17. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A nice bit of drive in that version, Manfred. Laura, fine playing and I like the inset screen with the octave. Bertram, just off for a snack after your last posting above!
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You're always welcome to my poetic restaurant, John
  19. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    Well...here is my first video for this group. I am horrible at doing videos - I get SO nervous, but, the only way for me to overcome that is to do more videos (shudder)..I don't have any fancy recording stuff..it's just me and my webcam. Also..keep in mind that I'm very much a newbie, but I appreciated the challenge of joining you guys and gals over here

edited to add - I just got this mandolin yesterday, so it still sounds "new"...and I still sound "new"...we will both get better with time..lo..

20. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Wow ... very impressive for a first video, right on the rhythm .... and you already wearing flannel!
  21. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    For a new player you certainly have good hands! Good fingering and picking and it seems quite natural. As a newcomer both to the instrument and the tune you also avoid trying to play it too fast, and your notes are all clean and well balanced.
  22. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    early morning pre coffee effort

23. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Love it! No need for coffee before playing this tune, obviously.
  24. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    Loretta and John - thank you SO much! I don't think I even breathe when I do videos..lol..and, Loretta - I'm in what I call my fuzzy pants. They are microfiber and the softest thing on the planet..so comfy! I'm looking forward to getting better with the new mandolin - I got some very good advice about overcoming the nervousness..will see if it works. gortnamona - wonderful!
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    You're obviously on your way Kristi. Welcome to the flannel club.
    Gort, I can hear the heavy horse (alleged pony) stomp its hooves
  26. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Here's mine ... not nearly as frisky as gort's (nice going and galloping). For some reason, Vimeo grabbed Kesh as well, yeesh. Saddle the Pony comes at 1:00 so you don't have to trip through Kesh.

27. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Sweet-sounding instrument and relaxed playing there, Loretta. Love the very quick costume change between tunes - Superman had to use a phone box, if I remember!
  28. Kristibob
    Kristibob
    Thank you, Bertram Wonderful, Loretta!...
  29. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

I did this mandocello conversion a long time ago but never learned to play it properly Now I've started tackling CDGA tuning and this is the first attempt. Spanning from 2nd to 6th frets on this instrument is impossible so you have to move your hand and hope.
  30. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Whoa Maudlin, that sounds great - so much like a bottle of Whisky gracefully falling into a grand piano. Moving your hand seems to work OK, but with longer scales the longterm solution is to play fewer fast single notes and more slow doublestops.
  31. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    great stuff gortnamona. Flawless perfomance and a great sounding Gibson. The foot stomp worked well too.
  32. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Haven't posted for a while as workload has been heavy and time limited but I really liked this and had to have a bash. Also I'm new to iMovie and wanted to experiment with the side by side function, which I managed but with a bit of latency.
    Some fantastic renditions above to inspire me to get off my backside and play.....

33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    And then there were two! Nice rendition, Tosh, and that guy playing alongside you is pretty good too.
    Congrats too to Maudlin and Gortnamora.
  34. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good to have you back Tosh! But apparently you couldn't agree with the other guy whose would be the final chord
  35. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    I tried recording this with a bodhran backing track that I downloaded. I don't think it helped the sound of this recording as it wasn't my natural rhythm and it feels a bit stilted. Oh well, you live and learn

36. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I'd say you were being hard on yourself there, Peddymac. Sounds fairly unstilted to me and flows well.
  37. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Peddyrmac, great job. Backing track couldn't hamper your excellent playing

Tosh, good to see you back. You obviously wanted to make up for your absence by giving as a double treat
  38. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job everyone on this cool tune! Welcome back Tosh and I see you've gotten your new iMac running nicely. Peddymac, I'm with John on this one -- in fact, your playing sounds terrific!

As for playing with an Irish lilt, I looked it up and got totally confused by the explanations on the web. I recognize it in others but am unable to do it myself. I'm sure it has to do with the pulse of the song. Maybe one of the IT players could demonstrate it for us and point it out. My playing always seems to come out sounding like American bluegrass or old time music no matter what I do...
  39. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey