Week #179 ~ I've Just Seen the Rock of Ages

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's tune is "I've Just Seen the Rock of Ages" which was submitted as a bluegrass tune. I'm not familiar with this tune.

Here are some videos. If anyone can find notation or tab, that would be great!

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    The tab and notation are in Bluegrass Mandolin for the Complete Ignoramus (yet one degree lower than Mandolin for Dummies). You can view the page on Google Books through this link.

http://books.google.com/books?id=V2L...20ages&f=false
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm early this week, because I couldn't resist learning this one when it first showed up in the poles. Instead of the tab above, this is more of a modal old time version.
  4. Francis J
    Francis J
    Wow, that's a great version Marcelyn.
  5. Tavy
    Tavy
    Great version Marcelyn.

Since I've been experimenting with MuseScore lately, I used this tune as a bit of tabbing practice... here it is as a PDF, same notes as the GoogleBooks version, but I make it A Dorian. BTW is it me or do some of the notes in the GoogleBooks version clash with the suggested chords (G natural over an E chord for example)? Whether my suggestions are any better, or just more um, folky is another matter
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great singing and playing Marcelyn. Your version has a great old time feel and drives this song along beautifully. Well done!
  7. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Marcelyn, that is a wonderful version! It's really perfect in every way.
  8. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Marcy, that was great singing and mandolin playing and it sure helps to have a good banjo player in the house. Nicely done.

Not wanting to compete with Marcy's old time sound I went in the direction of the 2nd video above. Key of Dm with a back beat and my mandonator thinking it's an electric guitar. I had way too much fun doing this one. I pray the Bluegrass Gods are forgiving.

9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    So cool, David! I've missed the Mandonator. You just own any style you decide to play it seems like.
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Love the Mandonator David. (And what a terrific big drum sound you've got going on there that sounded like way too much fun!)

Here's a bluegrass version with mandolin, guitar, bass and vocal. It's in the key of D. The mandolin breaks were mostly in the Dm pentatonic scale with just a few passing notes thrown in here and there. Here's the scale on the mandolin:

E string: 1, 3, (4), 5
    A string: 0, 3, 5
    D string: 0, 3, 5
    G string: 0, (1), 2, 5

11. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Gosh, David, I don't believe I ever mentioned how much I enjoy your mandonator, too! It's terrific. Michael -- thanks so much for posting your scale, it made it easy and fun for me to play along with you. When I listened to the samples I didn't much enjoy this song, but all 3 versions have been fabulous... and different.
  12. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    When I saw this tune in the polls, I hoped Marcelyn would grace us with her singing; and by George, you did. Awesome, thank you. Is that your singing, Michael? It's great; fits your fine playing. What fun that Mandonator is, David ... electric and all. I think the BG deities are pleased.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That sounds amazing, Michael. I'm definitely inspired to start fiddling around with pentatonic scales.
  14. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Some serious talent around here. They all sound wonderful!
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    If anyone else would like to "start fiddling around" with bluesy mandolin sounds, I've made a chart which helped me to "see" what's going on. It shows the D minor pentatonic scale and a bunch of other notes that can be played too! You can down load it here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?e1jgx1es9dut9ee
  16. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    That's a pretty nice chart and I believe I'm going to do more "fiddling around", so thank you!
  17. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    Woah, David, nice feel on that tune. Very dark and bluesy. Cool sounds, man!
  18. Topher Gayle
    Topher Gayle
    Other nice versions here, too! Nice to hear the singing.

Cool song, I guess I'll have to mess with it some, some day.
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Outstanding work this week guys. I play this one with a band I'm in, so I had the boys record it with me, so you can see I don't always just sit alone in my room...

20. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job guys. Love the vocal harmony. And David, glad you came out of your dim room to go into, well, another dimly lit room and record with you friends.
  21. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks, Michael - and actually, it is the same dimly-lit room
  22. laura809
    laura809
    Wow! This week's videos have been exceptional. OS, I preferred your band's version to many of the pros on youtube. I really enjoyed hearing you sing too. Michael, the bluesy feel of your version really compliments this song. I liked the way you did the chords in your version, and your solos were great. I built my version around a mandolin chop track, but then when it came time to do a mandolin lead track on video, I wasn't sure what to do during the vocals. I should go back and record a single track with chords and leads, but it is time to get something posted for the week. David, that mandonator has a very cool sound and your version really did have an electric feel to it. Marcelyn, that was a great performance. The slides and tremolo gave it a lot of character, and I always enjoy hearing you sing.
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Laura. Nice work on the harmonies and I enjoyed the solos. My suggestion for what to play on lead during the vocals would be to think about playing lead fills and only in the gaps in the vocal. I find it helps to imagine I'm just elaborating the last note that the singer held, and then try to lead into their note at the start of their next line. If I do play over the vocal, I try to play something very different to what the singer is doing.
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I love the harmony parts Laura and David.
  25. laura809
    laura809
    OS, that is what I would normally do in an arrangement, but I was worried it would have made an awkward video because there are so many vocals in this song. I would have spent most of the video waiting to play something. I guess I need to plan ahead more for my videos during the multi-tracking process.

Here is a version with the lead mandolin edited out under the vocals. It looks weird with the video, but at least the audio arrangement won't bother me as much.
  26. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Yee hah! Love these vocals lady and gentleman. The harmonies rock, as do the arrangements.