Money Honey (acoustic blues)

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's Money Honey in the key of E. I tuned the mandolin 3 1/2 steps down and then played in the key of G (but it sounds like E because of the altered tuning.) I got the idea from reading about the blues mandolinist, James "Yank" Rachell, who used to do the same thing. Thought I'd give it a try and see what would happen... (that's my 1913 Gibson F2 in the video!)

2. Matt
    Matt
    Hi Michael, That Gibson has a big birthday next year. Great tune, beautiful rhythm work and melody!

Matt
  3. bluesmandolinman
    bluesmandolinman
    yeah another 5*

that tuning sounds really good on the F2

I am happy you joined the blues mando group and offer such great videos .

thanks !
  4. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Great Michael !!!! Always appreciate your contributions.
  5. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Outstanding!
  6. bmac
    bmac
    Clearly felt and expressed. Inspiring!
  7. bmac
    bmac
    I don't mean to hijack your efforts or performance but this tune (and your playing) are kind of wonderful in their simplicity. I have had several good hours using your video as a "play along with" harmonizing with your performance on my mandolin. The tune was new to me but I had no trouble even on my first try. there is something "authentic" about it. Perhaps poorly worded but simply an observation of how helpful the performance was to me as an "always learning" blues player.

My own pet peeve with blues performances is when they become almost self conciously complex and decorative. Yours seemed spare and almost minimal. Which is good, I think!..... Nice instrument!
  8. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What the world probably doesn't need is another mandolin "shredder". Yes, the mandolin break was very minimal -- almost just chords really with a few runs. Actually it was going to be a kind of a back up to a guitar break that I never recorded...
  9. bluesmandolinman
    bluesmandolinman
    -What the world probably doesn't need is another mandolin "shredder"-

so true Michael
  10. Wesley
    Wesley
    Yeah - I could listen to that "simple" stuff all day long. It's also known as classic.
  11. Blombie
    Blombie
    Very Nice,

What do you use to record and play back the guitar and vocal parts.

Thanks
    Bill
  12. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hi Bill. In answer to your question I record each individual track using Rode NT1 microphones into a Yamaha MD8 multi track recorder. Next, the finished tracks are exported from the Yamaha into my Mac Pro computer via a PreSonus FP10 fire wire interface using a recording setting of 24bit and 44,100 kHz into Cubase LE4. Mixing is also in Cubase and a bit of polish is added at the end with the Isotope Ozone 4 plugin for mastering. I use Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones for both recording and mixing. I've assembled this recording rig over the last 8-10 years and plan on having a lot more fun with the hobby. I've also learned a bit about recording in the process too!
  13. Blombie
    Blombie
    THANKS MIKE

when i retire in a few years I'll look into that

Bill
  14. MandoSquirrel
    MandoSquirrel
    For what it's worth, if you "tuned the mandolin 3 steps down", it would sound in the key of D flat/C sharp. A fret is a Half step. Down to E is 1 & a half steps.
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Yeah, I guess I meant 3 "1/2" steps down. Strings are tuned from low to high: E, B, F#, C#.
  16. justkaron
    justkaron
    Good 'un, Michael!
  17. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Awesome Michael!!! I love the chord changes,one of my favorite form of blues...