Week # 178 ~ Shoe the Donkey

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week is a tie, so I had to pick one. So, I picked Shoe the Donkey, which was submitted as a polka. I'm not familiar with this tune, and am short of time, so if anyone can post additional info, that would be great!

I find that this could also be considered a mazurka.

Here is a link to the tune on abcnotation.com

and here's the abc from that site:

X:5
    T:Shoe the Donkey
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    R:mazurka
    K:G
    |: DG | B2 B2 DG | B2 B2 DG | B2 c2 B2 | A4 DF |
    A2 A2 DF | A2 A2 DF | A2 B2 A2 |1 G4 :|2 G3 ||
    ABc | d2 g2 f2 | A3 GAB | c2 e2 d2 | B3 ABc |
    B2 A2 B2 | c3 Bcd | e2 d2 c2 | B3 ABc |
    d2 g2 f2 | A3 GAB | c2 e2 d2 | B3 ABc |
    B2 A2 B2 | c3 Bcd | e2 d2 F2 | G4 ||
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's an oldie... on an Eastman Mandola - The Mazurka

3. Eddie Sheehy
    And the Polka - two different tunes, of course...

4. peterangell
    peterangell
    I went a bit off-piste with this one!
  5. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'm jealous of that steady and relaxed tremolo Peter.
  6. Francis J
    Francis J
    Some great versions, David, Peter and Eddie. Mine is played on my Joe Foley. The sound quality is a bit suspect I'm afraid.

7. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    X: 1
    T: Shoe The Donkey
    M: 2/4
    L: 1/8
    R: polka
    K: Gmaj
    |:G>A Bd|gf ed|eA A B|c d/2 c/2 BA|
    G>A Bd|gf ed|ea ef|g2 g2:|
    |:ae ae|ae e>f|gd gd|gd d>e|
    ae ae|ae e>f|ge dB|A2 A2:|

Here is the abc for the polka from the Session
  8. Francis J
    Francis J
    Maudlin, I think "The Session" is famous for a number of things. Unfortunately wrong tune titles is one of them. There are 10 different Shoe the donkey versions listed over there, which would give the impression that at least nine of them are nothing to do with Donkeys at all!!!!!!!!!!.
  9. laura809
    laura809
    Eddie, the polka is particularly nice, but I stuck with the mazurka version since I had already downloaded the music. Excellent tremolo Peter. David, that was a very polished and professional sounding arrangement. Francis, I really like the embellishments and the feel that you captured in your performance.
    It has been a busy week. My version is pretty rough at the end, but I was just happy to make time for a basic version of this week's tune.

10. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very nice Laura.Did I hear a key change there? Perhaps you've been listening to the Brendan Shine version.
    Francis you are right about The Session but whoever suggested this piege definitely specified polka; so as we did the mazurka a year or so ago I am going with polka.
  11. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    Really enjoyed all the mazurkas so far. Eddie on mandola - presumably CGDA, you've got some very nice harmonisations/counterpoint in there. Peter, that is a mean tremolo I've never mastered that technique but I'm inspired to keep trying. Francis, nothing wrong with the sound quality your Foley sounds terrific and you've added some fine ornamentation. David you're a one-man session, hugely impressive! Laura's key change and little tremolo right at the end definitely leaves me wanting to hear more!

And so to my own humble offering:

I shall try the polka next, but that's a new one for me so don't hold your breath!

Cheers
  12. Francis J
    Francis J
    Maudlin, I love that high A chord in the second part. Laura, you are consistently on the money with your contributions. Mike, nothing humble going on there!
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These are all so great. Laura, I like that backup rhythm you have going, and Mike, I love that full sound you get.