Week #177 ~ Bottom of the Punch Bowl

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Bottom of the Punch Bowl, which was submitted as a reel. I'm not familiar with this tune.

Here is a link on abcnotation.com from the Nottingham Music Database, and the abc from that link:

X: 77
    T:Bottom of the Punch Bowl
    % Nottingham Music Database
    S:KCC p30, via EF
    M:4/4
    L:1/4
    K:D
    P:A
    F/2E/2|"D"DD d3/2e/2|"D"dD F/2G/2A/2F/2|"Em"Ee e/2f/2g/2f/2|\
    "A7"e/2d/2c/2B/2 A/2G/2F/2E/2|
    "D"DD d3/2e/2|"D"f/2e/2d/2c/2 d3/2A/2|"G"B/2c/2d/2B/2 "A7"A3/2G/2|"D"FD D:|
    P:B
    d/2e/2|"D"f/2e/2d/2B/2 A/2B/2d/2e/2|"D"f/2e/2d/2c/2 d3/2A/2|"Em"Be ed/2e/2|\
    "A7"fe ed/2e/2|
    "D"f/2e/2d/2B/2 A/2B/2d/2e/2|"D"f/2e/2d/2c/2 dA|\
    "G"B/2c/2d/2B/2 "A7"A/2B/2A/2G/2|"D"FD D:|
  2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Another week in which I've done the work in advance...

I recorded this Scottish reel a couple of years ago, based on the version recorded by Dave Swarbrick on his first solo album in 1967. Played on my Mid-Mo, this is a fun little tune that falls nicely under the fingers:

Martin
  3. fsusubdad
    fsusubdad
    OK here's my shot at it. Pretty much based on the arrangement from the Mandozine tabs...more or less!

Dan

4. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Very good Martin and Dan. Here is mine on a Samick.
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Still experimenting with ornamentation by means of 3 fingered picking.
  6. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Three fine versions, gents. Maudlin, I find that when I try to fingerpick as you are doing in your second offering I rarely manage to catch both strings! Easier on the octave and bouzouki where my fingers have more room.
    On my version here the keen-eyed viewer may notice the small scars on my left fingers - caused by being rather too close to the heating iron while bending sides for a mandolin I am building just now. Makes playing interesting!

7. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Well played, John. At least you didn't damage the tips of your fingers, that would make playing impossible.

Here's mine at a slower tempo, played perhaps as a fast march.

8. laura809
    laura809
    There are lots of great versions. John, I really liked the backing track that you did on the octave. Were you playing open or closed chords? It had such a nice percussive feel to it. Was that from the octave or did the mandolin chops add that quality? David, I played along with your version to practice this tune. We must have the same, or very similar, tab. Here is my version, with guitar, Flatiron octave mandolin, and Collings MT2 mandolin.
  9. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two fine versions here, David and Laura. The tune suits the reeds well, David.
    Laura, my octave and mandolin backing were open chords, with the octave adding alternating bass and both chopped to give a lift to the tune. The final version was mixed from the 3 tracks, the melody recorded first then the octave then the mandolin on chords.
  10. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
  11. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job from everyone this week. Here's the inevitable drum n bass version from me:

12. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    OldSausage I loved that - have just got my laptop rigged up to play over the hifi and your drum and bass sounds fabulous!

cheers
  13. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Driving version, OS! Interesting to hear your drum pattern on this tune - good push to the tune.
  14. peterangell
    peterangell
    Been away for a while over the summer, watching the Olympics and then to Florida, then the Paralympics, so apologies for not posting for a while - anyway, here's my version...
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice one, Peter. And thanks very much, Mike and John!