two kinds of posts.

1. JeffD
    JeffD
    There are two kinds of posts about the RM-1. Instructional and devotional. This is devotional.

What a time I have, every Monday evening.

The RM-1 has become my contradance band instrument. It can be heard all the way in the back without an amp, it has a beautiful non brassy sound, out of the box my action was very nice, not too high, very comfortable for fast fiddle tune melodies, and a knock out for chords, it looks cooler than anything else being played, (I suppose thats arguable).

I have to play out in front. Not because of my assertive personality, but for quite practical reasons: nobody wants to stand in front of me.

One of the great things - this instrument is loud, but blends well with others. Its not just a loud brassy vuvuzela breaking through the cacophony, its a support to all the melody instruments and brightens up the entire band.

Oh, and its so cool looking.
  2. Ray(T)
    Ray(T)
    OK - its only an RM-1 - get over it!
  3. liestman
    liestman
    I am with you JeffD. When I go to my local Irish session, I take a tenor banjo and my RM1. I leave my other wonderful and more costly mandolins at home. They are great for small ensembles but if I am playing with 8 other folks, the RM1 gets the call. And at the session, if one flute and I play a beautiful slow air, the warmth of the RM1 shines. I don't HAVE TO play loud, its just that I can.

As a side note, my action was way too high for my tastes out of the box, but I was able to lower it just fine, although I had to bend the tailpiece(!) down to keep a reasonable break angle and retain the sound it has with the originally higher bridge.

The RM1 is my public mandolin.
  4. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    Ditto what liestman said... the RM1 and a tenor banjo are what I take out to sessions.

liestman said: As a side note, my action was way too high for my tastes out of the box, but I was able to lower it just fine, although I had to bend the tailpiece(!) down to keep a reasonable break angle and retain the sound it has with the originally higher bridge.

Eek-a-mouse! I also had to lower the action from new to my taste but didn't try and bend the tailpiece (it's pretty solid anyway!). I just glued a strip of hard leather to the underside of it which works fine at improving the break angle with a lowered bridge.