Week #170 Lietrin Fancy

1. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Barbara asked me to post the winner today, and after a close race, it looks like it's a jig called The Leitrim Fancy, also known as Daleystown Hunt, Leitrim, Leitrim Fancy, Leitrim's Fancy, Leitrum Fancies, and Rogha Liadroma.

Here's ABC from thesession.org
    X: 1
    T: Leitrim Fancy, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    GBG FAF|E2B BAB|GBG FAF|D2A AFD|
    GBG FAF|E2B BAB|G2B dBG|ABG FED:|
    G2B dBd|edB dBA|G2B dBG|ABG FED|
    G2B dBd|edB def|gfe dBG|ABG FED:|

And another...
    X: 1
    T: Leitrim Fancy, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    GBG FAF|EDB BAB|~G3 FAF|DFA AFD|
    ~G3 FAF|EDB BAB|GAB dBG|ABG FED:|
    GAB dBd|edB dBA|GAB dBG|ABG FED|
    GAB dBd|edB def|gfe dBG|ABG FED:|
    There is some useful discussion on possibilities for chords and accompaniment in the comments section at http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/467/
    Here it is on fiddle:

Here's a performance of the tune preceeded by the Kesh Jig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFo6OEw2CJ8
    And here's a great version on octave by a man of many talents. The set also includes Morrison's and Kid on the Mountain.
  2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This is one of those standard G jigs that goes well with Kesh Jig, Merrily Kissed the Quaker and Cook in the Kitchen. I have played it for decades, so don't feel left in the dust by this early post, anyone.
    The name is definitely Leitrim Fancy, named after the county Leitrim (wedged in between Sligo, Donegal, Fermanagh, Cavan, Longford and Roscommon), and I never heard it by any other name.

I also liked that Ninja version. The Japanese like to dress up for their videos.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really great early example, Bertram--and sorry about the typo. I can tell you've been playing that one for quite a while.
    I like the Ninja version too. It's just too bad our group doesn't have a masked marauder. Still, it makes me wonder... Why haven't we ever seen Bertram and the masked mandolinist in the same place?
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well Marcelyn, when I look at his hands and forearms, compared to the size of the instrument, I am quite glad I never met him - I guess he could screw my head off like a lightbulb.
    But I could do a Lorax version ...
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Marcelyn- the Bothy Band video turns out to be by Slainte.
    Bertram -very nicely played. Both the versions suggested by Marcelyn are in d rather than g so I have gone with them.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Well done Maudlin, with the original character reproduced very authentic. As for the key - we play at the same pitch, but the C note versus C# note that would decide between G and D keys never occurs in the tune, so I guess chord accompaniment would be free to choose (there's more options, e.g. E minor).
    The classic Bothy Band version pairs it with Round the World for Sport, a reel that is basically the same tune in 4/4.
  7. laura809
    laura809
    Betram, you really have this one down. You inspired me to pull out the octave mandolin. Maudlin, that was also very nice.
    I almost decided to skip this one because the first time I played through the tab I hated it. Then I realized my tab was full of errors.
  8. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Trust your ears Laura, not anything written down, just like the old Celts did. Apparently, you successfully overcame those tab errors

What's that David, fancy percussion? This calls for a belly dancer (in wellingtons, of course)
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hi, it's me, your mostly absent 'leader'!!! Great videos... I really like this tune! I've been pretty busy this last couple of weeks with the birth of my grandson. I'm away from home, but did bring my mandolin, so whenever I get a minute or so, I have been learning and playing these tunes.... just have no time to record them! Keep up the good work!
  10. justkaron
    justkaron
    Barbara...Congrats on the new family member! I've missed you on the threads...just sayin '

Ya'll have inspired me to try this tune. Great videos so far from Bertram, Maudlin, Laura and David.
    I've cut my right index finger and can't do much right now though. Rats!...I hate this.
  11. justkaron
    justkaron
    ok...couldn't do much before I cut my finger...
  12. jonny250
    jonny250
    Bertram, that sounded great! Maudlin, Laura and David also sounding good i'm back from hol's so will try and have a go at this one...
  13. Francis J
    Francis J
    I love the masked japanese (/) player and I thought about wearing my motorcycle helmet, but the headphones wouldn't fit! Laura and David, lovely versions and Maudlin too. This is a great favourite at sessions here, so here's my take....two mandolins, a bouzouki, and a banjo.

14. Francis J
    Francis J
    Bertram, I think you'd give Mr, Ninja a good run for his money, on stage or in the ring!
  15. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You have a real feel for these trad tunes, Francis. Excellent arrangement.
  16. peterangell
    peterangell
    Here's my version - hope you enjoy...
  17. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    After a few weeks away here is my submission...

Excuse the dirty fingernails, I was digging spuds.

18. Francis J
    Francis J
    Nice work there both of you, peddyr your mandolin is developing a lovely tone.
  19. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nice picking everyone. (Bertram: very cool timing, David: beautiful mandolin & tasty percussion, Francis J: nicely done with professional overdubbing, Peterangell: good speed, and Peddymac: great rip-roaring picking.}

Here's a version played on my 1913 Gibson F2 mandolin and backed up with a Simon & Patrick guitar.

20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Surprise! I actually found a moment and remembered how to video on this laptop! No fancy editing, or even fancy playing, just plain and simple!

21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Barbara, very pleasant surprise to hear you play again on such a nice rendition of The Leitrim Fancy! I, for one, have missed your smiling face and sparkling playing for some time now. Hopefully when things settle down we'll see and hear more of you.
  22. cwboal
    cwboal
    Some great playing by everyone, and I find the different approaches taken by different players really interesting. It is enlightening how a pretty simple tune can be presented in such a variety of ways. For some reason the B part on this kept giving me fits, and there is quite a flub on this vid during the second time through, but I wanted to get a contribution posted.

23. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    CW, that was wonderful, flub and all! Tell us about your instrument! I'm away from home on an extended trip, and brought ONLY my mandolin... this video sure makes me miss my OM!
  24. cwboal
    cwboal
    Hi Barbara, thank you for the kind words and nice to meet you in the virtual world. I was playing a Trinity College OM on this tune. It was the instrument I started with and keep handy for practice, learning new tunes on, and travel. I have to say, for a low end instrument, I've sure gotten my money worth out of it. However, about a year ago I upgraded to a longer scaled Herb Taylor OM (a wonderful instrument) which is my primary instrument and the first step of my MAS, but it just that happened to be in the case when I was filming this play through.
  25. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Back from holidays, I can see everybody's been successfully busy on this one.
    Francis: you did your timing magic again, Peter: solid expression of what makes the tune, Peddyr: that's the whole-body horseriding motion I also frequently do when I'm in the groove, Barb: congrats and welcome back in the SAW driver's seat with such a lovely rendition in a tastefully lit mediterranean morning setting, Michael: that's the best masked marauder contribution so far, CW: at last another decent OM contribution (and FYI, flubs within the timing of the tune are called "ornaments").
  26. cwboal
    cwboal
    Ha! Thanks Bertram. I'll have to work on more strategically placed ornamentation rather than stochastically placed ornamentation!