Week # 169 ~ Sally Ann

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Sally Ann, which was submitted as a bluegrass tune, but I believe it could also be considered an old-time tune!

The Fiddler's Companion has info on 4 tunes called Sally Ann.

Here's a link to the notation,with a midi-file on Traditional Music

On to You Tube videos!

No mando, but a classic Flatt and Scruggs!

I like this one! Never heard of a Banjo Ukulele!

No mandolins, so far, so I You Tube searched Sally Ann mandolin, and this guy looks familiar!!!

Here's an interesting slow rendition...

One more ought to do it!

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    This tune sounds an awful lot like the chorus to "Sail Away Ladies".
  3. laura809
    laura809
    This is a little sloppy, but I am trying to work on getting things up to tempo. It is based on the tab in Matt Flinner's All Star Bluegrass Jam Along. I tried to fake my way through a guitar solo, but I don't really know how to play bluegrass guitar.
  4. Francis J
    Francis J
    What a great start, Laura, you're on a roll. And a fine guitar solo too!
  5. cwboal
    cwboal
    Really nice Laura.
  6. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Barbara, where did you find that slow version of Sally Ann that you posted? That is a really beautiful redition!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Blue ghost, I think I just found it on a you tube search!
  8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great job, Laura. Guitar and all.
    I will be practicing all day to get closer to your demonic speed.
  9. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely done Laura!
  10. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is my first version in G.

I also have notation for a killer version in A with plenty of double stops and slides. But that's gonna be at least a week's hard work for me.

11. laura809
    laura809
    I am always impressed with the clean tone that you get Manfred. You managed to keep that great tone while playing at a pretty good pace. Excellent job!
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent work, Laura and Manfred. I went to a slightly different source for mine, the Dawg - there's a nice version on his Folk Jazz Trio CD, and that's what I loosely based this on:

13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That's definitely the next level, David.
    Like your guitar work, too. Where do you find the time to be so good on all these instruments?
  14. justkaron
    justkaron
    I thought the same thing, Manfred, about 'the next level.' And, David, loved seeing you play the guitar.
  15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Manfred and Karon. Manfred, you forget I live in Georgia - if I want to improve on an instrument I just carry it down to the old crossroads and sit for a while on a hickory stump.

Karon, I'm with you on guitars. Honestly though, I think all mandolinists should play a bit of guitar: once you've learned your chords and scales on it, you already have a whole bunch of technique you can apply from your mando playing, so although it's a bit different, you can get a long way with what you already have.
  16. justkaron
    justkaron
    David, you must have seen me gushing over my LOVE for guitars before I edited that out.
    My mom used to play guitar and sing when she was younger. My son owns and plays half a dozen of them. They're the STUFF!
  17. justkaron
    justkaron
    Manfred and Laura , just listened again to both of you. VERY different versions and both really good.
  18. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice takes so far. Laura, I keep watching but don't see 'a little sloppy'. David I could listen to you play your little 'Angel all day.
    I spent half the weekend sitting on a Ponderosa Pine playing my mandolin. I don't seem to notice a difference in my ability.
    Guess it doesn't have the same Mojo as Georgia hickory. Manfred. Where could I find that other version. Like Blue Ghost I think this song is beautiful played slowly. But, would need some help with ornamentation. Karon. For not too much money you can get a nice Tenor Guitar. Tune it to GDAE and you have that sound you want and you don't have to learn different chords and scales.
    Para phrasing Tim O'Brien. "It's the same only different".
    Gary
  19. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    These are three great versions to play along with. Here's a funny story I found that may inspire a lot of posters this week.
    Musician and folklorist Alice Gerrard tells this story: "Back when I first got to Galax it seemed like everybody in the country could play an instrument. I remember going to one auction sale and this fellow was standing there‑‑he had just walked over from across the street and was watching the sale going on, and Wade Ward handed him his fiddle and said, 'Here, play us a tune.' And the guy said, 'I don't know how to play.' Uncle Wade told him, 'Well, play Sally Ann‑‑there's not a man alive that can't play Sally Ann.' So the fellow played 'Sally Ann', and it wasn't bad! To this day I don't know who the fellow was." (Old Time Herald, vol. 3, No. 2, pg. 30).
  20. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Laura, great playing. You set the bar high yourself on this one. Manfred, always enjoy your playing and the tone you get. David, very very nice version on both mando and guitar.

Marcelyn, that's a funny story. This is a really infectious tune once you get it going. I don't know why I never learned it before--just need some time to record it.
  21. peterangell
    peterangell
    Hi all - here's my version, hope you enjoy, see you next week!
  22. laura809
    laura809
    That had a nice groove to it Peter.
  23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Between Laura's cool guitar break, Manfred's awesome tone, David's rendition from the Dawg, and Peter's impressive, laidback arrangement, these acts are hard to follow. I didn't have time to get this polished up, but did want to get in on the week's tune since it's such a fun one.

24. peterangell
    peterangell
    Like it Marcelyn!! out of interest, did you film this during a solar eclipse?
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Good guess, actually I forgot to turn on the florescent overhead lights when I started recording. It's a lot prettier in the room with just the wall sconces, but does make for a sort of quirky/artsy look when you see it on film. Even Youtube said they detected "lighting issues" with my video.
  26. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Looks like folks covered a large part of the spectrum of Sally Ann here, with Marcelyn bring us into the dark with the banjo. I enjoyed all of these versions!
  27. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great old-timey sound (as always) Marcy, and always good to hear your voice, too.
    Peter, sometimes a pretty melody comes out much better when it's not just a flurry of notes at breakneck speed. Your version is proof of that.
  28. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This arrangement is by Jay Buckey
  29. peterangell
    peterangell
    Thanks Manfred - I'm glad about that, because a flurry of notes at breakneck speed is not an option for me!
  30. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very clean, Maudlin, nice pull-offs
  31. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's Sally Ann on mandolin and mandola. Sorry no video. I just got the multitracking app Auria on the iPad and used a Zoom H2 as a USB mic to do some multitracking. Will figure out how to do this and the video later.

http://soundcloud.com/hillbillychamb...n-mandolin-and

Mandolin is a Gilchrist Model 1 (oval hole) and mandola is a Colling MT2 (ff hole)
  32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice, Don. Sounds great, and very prettily played.
  33. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great sounding mandolin in the hands of a very good player, Don.
  34. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Thanks, David and Manfred. It was fun to be able to multitrack without setting up a bunch of gear.
  35. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Very nice Don!! Those instruments sound great together.
  36. jamann
    jamann
    I've really enjoyed all the submissions for Sally Ann. Fine playing from everyone! I was not too familiar with this tune but Fred Keller's version really struck me and I couldn't stop listening to it. My version is based on his. Hope you enjoy. It sure was a fun one to learn.

jamann

37. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Nice, musical version and great tone, John
  38. Francis J
    Francis J
    I love all the versions of this tune, which came to my notice a good few years ago on a Mark O'Connor album. I think Fred Keller's version is just awesome! I know he's a member of the cafe community and that he has written some great music. I envy someone who can express himself in such an understated way, and capture the soul of the tune. Great stuff Fred. All the versions are great though, all different, all unique. So here's mine, two mandolins and a guitar.

39. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Another old one for us. The recording quality is terrible but I guess you'll recognize the tune (or one of the variations, anyway).
  40. woodwizard
    woodwizard
    Better late than never I guess
    https://soundcloud.com/mike-parks-7/sally-ann
  41. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nice! Thanks for reviving an old favorite! And, for reminding us that if audio is your preferred method, rather than video... that works too! Can you go over to the discussion "New to our Social Group? ~ Read me First!" and outline how you do your audio recording, and how you upload it to Soundcloud? I seem to remember that early on, we had an issue with imbedding audio recordings, but it seems like a simple link works now!
  42. luurtie
    luurtie
    Nice production Woodwizard! A joy to listen to and I agree wit Barbara, video is not necessary. I decided to quit making video's of all my recordings myself.
  43. JL277z
    JL277z
    That's a good one, Woodwizard!
  44. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great recording, Woodwizard!
    I also enjoy listening some of your other tracks on Soundcloud.