Week # 168 ~ East Virginia Blues

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is East Virginia Blues, which was submitted as a Rag. I'm not familiar with this tune.

I found this website that has the tune in the rotation in the player on the right side of the page. It seems that this tune is an old Appalachian tune, or a traditional old time tune, or a bluegrass tune, all depending where you read about it!

Here's a You Tube video of the same tune.

Here's one of Joan Baez on You Tube.

Here's a You Tube Video of the Carter Family doing it:

Here's Pete Seger doing it

Here are the Black Crowes doing it

I don't know if this is the right tune (the one the original submitter who called it a rag, had in mind). I'm not sure what a Rag really is, but none of info on this tune, call it a rag!

Here is a link to a very simple notation and abc of East Virginia

From what I've read in researching this, this tune is very similar to Wayfaring Stranger. Here's a link of Wayfarin' Stranger having a run as an "other tune" here in this group!

and

here's the link to when it was Tune of the Week #21!
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    And you've got to revisit the incredible duo on this tune--our own Saw Mountain Boys.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...742&do=discuss
  3. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Here's a couple guys playing it. One guy is wearing a red mando cafe hat and playing a Campanella.

4. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's another couple of guys playing it:

5. justkaron
    justkaron
    Take heart ... it's VERY short.

Did a bit of tab from a Ralph Stanley rendition on YouTube. Just sneaking in here amongst the 'big guns.'

WOW...there have been some really good collaborations posted already for this tune.
    Will be fun to watch this weeks' tune play out.
  6. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara, I take all the blame for the confusion regarding the RAG!
    It was my suggestion. I had wanted to suggest "EAST TENNESSEE BLUES" (Rag) but for some reason wrote VIRGINIA.
    I sent a correction via PM to you, Barbara. But the message may still be orbiting in space ....
    Manfred
  7. nanaimo
    nanaimo
    David and Michael, that was fantastic! I am always amazed at what you two come up with! I will be humming this all day long!

Karen - That is a good start. After my last 'train wreck' of video with Galway Hornpipe, I find that I can't seem to play in front of the camera. As soon as the camera rolls, my brain stops. I know this will get easier. I need to deal with my perfectionistic tendencies.
  8. justkaron
    justkaron
    Kelly....I hate to hear that you don't want to play for the camera since you've been a 'comrade in crime' with me for some few months now. I always gain from listening to your renditions. At this point ... since we're so new...we can't expect everything to be correct...really we should expect things NOT to be so.

Something that helps me feel at ease with the camera is having it on a LOT of the time as I practice and not just when I feel I'm ready to make a 'good' version. I'll record half an hour of practicing sometimes and know that usually the last five minutes will have the better things happening. I'll edit out the first part and scan the last few minutes for something worth saving. Sometimes I save and sometimes delete it all. Works for me to make me not be very aware of the camera. Actually...my moniter screen will go black but the camera will be stealthily recording away.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks Nanaimo, and excellent work Karon. As I did that other one some time ago with Michael, I wanted to try again - I remembered that sometimes people play this a lot more bluesy, in a similar vein to "Little Maggie" - see what you think of it:

10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Excellent job, Mr H, I think you should sing all the time, sounds great to me.
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'll second that, and I love the old timey sound to your accompaniment.
  12. justkaron
    justkaron
    Oh my...Ya'll are surpassing yourselves! No kidding.

Very professional and precise work from both Davids and still very 'real' and strongly emotional renditions. LOVE the singing from both of you. Very different and each enjoyable. Don't know how Ya'll keep raising that bar, but you do.
  13. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David and David, really cool versions. Very inspiring.

justkaron, glad to see you posting a video. If I may make a suggestion: you'll get a bigger sound if you use a wider swing with your wrist on your pick strokes. Other than that, good job!
  14. justkaron
    justkaron
    Don...thanks so much for the suggestion. At this point I need all the info I can get on 'how to make it better'. I'll be sure to try that! Thanks for the tip and the encouragement!
  15. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Cool video effects justkaron. David and David, really bluesy version OS and I also agree that David should sing more...
  16. Pierpaolo S.
    Pierpaolo S.
    mr. hansen:
    it sounds like an outtake from a jerry garcia cd.
    i like it
  17. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin

Karon-excellent work. keep them coming. O S you remind me of the soundtrack to O Brother Where Art Thou? Similar vocals to George Clooney.
    David nice singing and a more uptempo arrangement from you than usual.
    Here is my crosspicking attempt.
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice bit of crosspicking, there Maudlin, you're becoming a bit of an expert at that. It was a hero of mine, the great Dan Tyminski, who sang Clooney's part in "O Brother", so thank you very much indeed.
  19. laura809
    laura809
    We have some nice variety on this thread considering only a few people have posted. Nice picking Maudlin. David H., it was nice to hear you singing. OS, I really enjoyed that. It was a very unique interpretation of the song, and I loved the bluesy feel. Of course, the SAW mountain version is excellent too! Karon, I love seeing your posts. It is nice to have the variety on the thread so that there are examples for all levels of players. Don, that was great seeing a live version, and I thought the minor chord on the turn around was pretty interesting.
  20. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Wonderful - that's a very cool take on this old song.
  21. justkaron
    justkaron
    Laura...that was great. There were some really interesting bits in there and I loved the harmonies.
    You made her situation sound all dire and dreadful. Good job on the atmosphere of the song.
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Nicely done everyone! The version I recorded with Old Sausage (David Mold) is how I've always played this song. For something different I decided to go way back to the playing of Buell Kazee and Roscoe Holcomb and see if I could adapt their styles for mandolin, banjo and vocal. This is a quite an old timey sounding version, and while it is hard to sing (for me), I'm pretty happy with how it came out... the banjo is tuned D D G A D.

23. justkaron
    justkaron
    Excellent! Really enjoyed that Michael. Especially the banjo.
    Can't get too much banjo in my opinion.

Been meaning to ask....does anyone else think the structure of this song is very similar to "Life is Like a Mountain Railroad"...the old gospel song?

"Yeah, Boy!" That's what one of these gentlemen say at the end.

Karon
  24. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job, Michael, good singing and a powerful banjo part. Karon, the melody for first lines of the verse are very similar to EV blues.
  25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's the version I was working on too, Michael. It's a great help to hear your take on it. I agree wholeheartedly on it being a difficult song to sing, but you sound awesome.
  26. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Thanks, Marcy. Hopefully you'll share your version of this tune with us when you've got it all worked out. I think what makes this version of the song hard to both sing and play are those long, drawn out notes in the melody which occur at such weird places in the great old timey way of long ago...
  27. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I really enjoyed your old timey versions, Micheal & Laura. I had not heard those versions before. Thanks.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Well, this is so late because those "long, drawn out notes that occur in weird places" as Michael said, gave me fits. The modal version of this tune is a great one though, and so I intend to keep working on it.

29. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hauntingly beautiful singing Marcy...
  30. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Michael, your version helped me figure out the timing. A lot of my tries before that still haunt me today and not because of their beauty. Anyway, I kept at it because I'm all for popularizing the lone song out there that rhapsodizes about a girl with brown curly hair.
  31. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    This is one we do as "Greenback Dollar". Same melody, same structure and themes...I think they must have fallen out of the same tree at some point.
  32. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Yeah, that's a good one!