Week #164 ~ Captain Norman Orr Ewing

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    The poll this week has been very close. I have to leave on a trip this morning, so I am going ahead and announcing the winner as Captain Norman Orr Ewing, which was submitted as a march. I'm not familiar with the tune. Thesession.org has this listed as a barndance.

Here is a link to the tune on thesession.org Be sure to check out the comments section, as there are some alternate abc's listed.

Here is the main abc from that site:

X: 1
    T: Captain Norman Orr-Ewing March
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: barndance
    K: Dmaj
    |: f>e |\
    d2 f2 A2 Bc | d4 A2 g2 | f3 e d2 f2 | f2 e2 e2 fe |
    d2 f2 A2 Bc | d4 A2 g2 | f4 e3 f | d4 d2 :|
    |: g2 |\
    a3 f d2 a2 | f2 a2 d2 ef | g3 e c2 e2 |
    [1 B2 e2 A2 fg | a3 f d2 a2 | f2 a2 d2 g2 | f4 e2 f2 | d4 d2 :|
    [2 B2 e2 A2 fe | d2 f2 A2 Bc | d4 A2 g2 | f4 e3 f | d4 d2 ||
    |: fe |\
    d2 A2 B2 GB | A4 d3 B | A3 B d2 f2 | f2 e2 e2 fe |
    d2 A2 B2 G2 | A4 d2 g2 | f4 e3 f | d4 d2 :|
    |: f<g |\
    f2 a2 f2 d2 | A4 d3 B | A3 B d2 f2 |
    [1 f2 e2 e2 g2 | f a3 f2 d2 | A4 d2 g2 | f4 e3 f | d4 d2 :|
    [2 f2 e2 e2 fe | d2 f2 A2 Bc | d4 A2 g2 | f4 e3 f | d4 d2 ||

Here is a link to standard notation on traditionalmusic.co.uk, which has this listed as a Scottish tune.

When searching this on You Tube, it seems to be a popular pipe tune...

Here's a You Tube of our own Eddie Sheehy doing the tune on a mandola a couple of years ago!

Here is someone on some kind of pipes (I think!)

And here it is on bagpipes:

This tune has been submitted as an "Other Tune", and Eddie's submission (above) was the only video! Here is a link to that discussion.
  2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I kept expecting a snake to show up in the second video.
  3. peterangell
    peterangell
    ...in a kilt
  4. cwboal
    cwboal
    Nice playing on the mandola Eddie. Certainly sounds more like a barndance than waltze to me (though for the life of me I can't describe why); I look forward to working on this one.
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    Actually more a March or a Stratsphey... That other instrument above is a Chanter - used to practice bagpipe tunes - basically a bagpipe without the bag and drones...
  6. peterangell
    peterangell
    Bit of background... for you historical types.

Sir Norman Archibald Orr Ewing, 4th Baronet (23 November 188026 March 1960).

Orr-Ewing was a Brigadier-General in the Army and served as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Scotland from 1937 to 1939. He married Laura Louisa Robarts, a granddaughter of Percy Barrington, 8th Viscount Barrington, on 24 July 1911. He died in March 1960, and was succeeded in the baronetcy by his son Ronald.

Captain Norman Orr Ewing, composed in 1912 by Pipe Major William Ross of the 2nd Battalion Scots Guards in his honour, survives as an established pipe tune in every pipe band repertoire.
  7. peterangell
    peterangell
    My goodness, I'm first to post this week! Well it is Father's Day here in England, so I get to do what I like, which includes getting my son to record me playing the mandolin.... the item dangling on the end of my mando is a keyring which says "Best Dad". Now I'm off for a walk with my family to The Woodcock Pub for some lunch, all the best...

8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Really nice Peter--clean and bouncy. Happy Father's Day, looks like it's off to a good start.
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    I'm letting my previous entry above stand in for this week...
  10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    One of my favourites this week. A great tune by a great composer, Pipe Major William Ross, and written back in 1912! Played on octave with octave backing. This time I filmed while recording the melody live, then added the backing to the soundtrack recorded through Reaper; this was to help sync the sound file and the video.

11. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I had a really hard time not mixing up the phrases, they are all so similar and interchangeable that I couldn't get it right to save my life. Finally after what seemed to be 100 takes I got one take that's not objectionable. I took some liberties in the backing department, not exactly your typical Scottish march accompaniment. It was fun none the less.

12. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting versions all round so far. Eddie, yours stands the test of time, certainly, and Peter, your version certainly injected a very lively air to the tune; hope Fathers' Day went well. The two pipe versions, and especially the one on chanter, demonstrate very well the ornamentations pipers use in their playing. David, I really liked that backing you have there and we'd certainly reach our objective very smartly if marching to this pace, even if a bit out of breath when we got there.
  13. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Very fun backing David, and John, I love how you get your mandolin to sound like the pipes--great ornamentation.
  14. laura809
    laura809
    Very nice Peter, John and David. My version is very slow by comparison. There are a couple of mistakes at the end, but I didn't have a lot of time to spend on this one. I am using my new LR Baggs Radius pickup and Para Acoustic DI to record everything directly. It came in particularly handy ;-)
  15. JLewis
    JLewis
    Laura, your ability to maintain focus is astounding. Well played.
  16. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    ...or your ability to ignore pestering kids It must be like a superhero power you possess. Either that or the headphones...where can I buy a pair?
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You can see where they got the inspiration for "The Kid On The Mountain" Great job, Laura.
  18. cwboal
    cwboal
    Really nice Laura! You might also want to hang on to that video for blackmail material about 15 years from now
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Now that is concentration, Laura! You have a very active household there and you must really enjoy getting the phones on and just entering your own space from time to time. I enjoyed your rendition of the tune too; nicely paced as a march.
  20. Francis J
    Francis J
    Well I voted for this one three weeks in a row, so here it is...................
  21. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Very god Francis.This tune is not as easy as it appears at first.Here is my go.
  22. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    I'm away in Wales this week, but managed to record this on my phone after a few pints of local IPA...