A new Eastman 305.

1. Cary Fagan
    Cary Fagan
    In the past I've owned two Eastmans, a 504 and an 814, both bought used, and while I liked them both in the end I passed them on to new owners. But the other day I nipped into my local music store in Toronto (part of a country wide chain) and was surprised to see an Eastman 305 on the wall. They have never carried Eastmans before, only entry level Goldtones and Epiphones. I immediately took to the look of it, the satin finish and the newer headstock shape. It felt good in my hands and, most important, I was surpised by the sound. Loud, and with a lot of growl. Not the sweetest in the highs and not with the single-note clarity of a high-end instrument, but still very appealing.

I did something I've never done before, which was to make a spontaneous purchase. The Eastman will be my park/beach, travel mandolin, and much better quality than I've ever had for that use before. To pay for it, I've sold off a bowlback and will sell (locally) a Stradolin, which is an instrument i restored and really like but with its shorter wider neck isn't quite as pleasurable to play.

So I'm back in the Eastman camp.
  2. charliede
    charliede
    That's the way to do it. When you find an instrument you like, buy it. Each one has its own voice and an identical model probably won't sound exactly the same as the one you have in your hand.

Good Luck!
  3. DataNick
    DataNick
    Ditto to Cary's Post!
    I am afflicted with a serious case of MAS! I just got a 99' Flatiron Performer A a few weeks ago(that I'm very happy with!) and ventured into Buffalo Bros. here in SoCal to trade in my Taylor Big Baby guitar for store credit and needed cash. There was a 305 hanging on the wall. Being the owner of an incredible 515, and having purchased a 315 for a teenager in my church; I am well acquainted with Eastman's quality. However they now seem to have it "nailed" with the majority of mandos coming out of their shop. This beauty was set up perfectly out of the box, good tone, loud (they told me to shut up! while I was putting it through some paces), and the action, neck feel was tremendous. I couldn't let this baby go, so I put $100 of my store credit on it as a down payment, and will pick it up this weekend after I get paid Friday. Those guys at Eastman should get arrested for putting out such quality at high volume! LOL...
  4. WayneLetang
    WayneLetang
    I did the same thing in Winnipeg, there was a 305 f there the week before but when I returned the 305 A was what they had, I tried it and bought it imedietly , my traveling mandolin, I like it very much..