Ye Banks and Braes

1. weirtk
    weirtk

Another favouritre.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A revival of this famous Scottish love song, to mark the birthday of Robert Burns, our national bard. Another collaboration with Ginny Aitchison of Celtic Mandolins, who plays the mandolin solo in this version. I supply the vocal, mandolin harmonies and guitar.

3. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Have a good Burns night, John! I enjoyed your song and photos. Does Ginny have one of your mandolins yet? It would seem to be the logical next step in your fruitful musical partnership.
  4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Dennis. We discussed this a long time back, but I was reluctant to have one so far away where I could not offer any real backup service, and there could also have been problems with importing an instrument into another country because of the CITES regulations, etc, and the fact it might not have travelled too well (a bit like myself!).
    The photos, I have to confess, are again of one of my local rivers and not the River Doon in Ayrshire where Burns set his poem - a use of poetic licence, I claim!
  5. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    John and Dennis both sang tonight. What a treat. My treat back to you is for me not to sing. Bravo to both of you. Dennis, the extreme temperatures here in Canada (besides CITES regs) is so much different than where John lives, I don't think the woods would stand the change. Both of my good mandolins are made in either Canada or USA.
  6. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Good point about the climate and temperatures. I was also interested in purchasing a John Kelly mandolin just before I bought my Fylde. And the more I hear John play them, the more I want to try one! Maybe it will make me sound like John!

Now, which whisky would be appropriate for this special day? I'm not even Scottish, but I look forward to Burns night every year.
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your new collaboration, Ginny and John.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Thanks Frithjof, I hadn't heard from you in a while and was hoping you were OK.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really nice Ginny and John good to hear you singing. Happy Burns Night!
  10. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Yay - Singing! Sounds great, John. I'm in Ginny's camp -- you really don't want to hear me sing.

Martin
  11. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thank you for your concern, Ginny. I’m doing well. I just had a lot of shifts … But I followed the discussions here and watched all the great videos – more often than not on my smartphone while having breakfast.
  12. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Good Frithjof, glad u r well. Now we haven't heard from Christian in a while. I know where Hendrik is and he's doing well. I must sound like an old Mother hen...like in Simon's video. ha!
  13. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    One and a half year later, you can hear from me, not singing Burns poems like John, but playing the melody:
  14. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Interesting treatment, Christian. I cannot decide whether you have employed a very slow tremolo or have used reverb and delay effects at the start and finish. Lovely clean tone from the mandolin in the main melody.
  15. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Lovely presentation of this song, CC. I wanted to tell you that you can post a YouTube video as 'private' - that way you can watch it and see if there are parts you don't like and then have to remove it and put in a replacement. I always do mine as 'private' first to see if all the titles and things fit in the YT box - or if the volume is ok. Just a thought/hint.
  16. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Very pretty and peaceful. Just what the Dr. ordered.
  17. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks John, Ginny and Frankdolin. John. the beginning is just me and my mandolin. No FX. I had forgotten the intro and outro and then played it with a different mandolin than the main melody, because I had already stored away this one.
    Ginny, sometimes I put new videos on Not listed.
  18. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    I like the bell like tone of your mandolin, Christian. The guitar did a great job, too.