Introduction

1. BarryC
    BarryC
    Hi, folks.
    Having just gotten my hands on an octave, I just wanted to say hello here.
    I've only recently taken up any sort of mandolin, after over fifteen years away from playing any music (and back then I was an electric bass player-a bit of a change of direction, I know).
    I bought a cheap beginner mandolin about a month back (having always loved the sound), and with the help of youtube and the internet in general, started to practise a few scales and tunes. Then, one day I came across a video of some octave mandolin playing - (Jim Richter doing a pink floyd song Goodbye Blue Sky) and was simply blown away with the rich sound and just knew this was the instrument I wanted to play.
    So here I am, with a Celtic Star octave I've picked up second-hand, eager to learn and just a little bit overwhelmed with how much I have to learn and not entirely sure what to tackle first...but really looking forward to the journey.
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the bigger mandolins - before too long you may be eyeing a bouzouki too!
    As you have acquired a Celtic Star instrument may I suggest that you look at Scottish/Irish/Celtic music as a possible source of tunes to play. i am biased, of course, but feel that our tunes just lend themselves so well to being interpreted on the octave mandolin. I especially enjoy pipe tunes played on it, but it is also a great instrument for vocal accompaniment.
    Have fun with whatever you decide to play.
  3. BarryC
    BarryC
    Thanks, John..who knows, one day when I feel I'm worthy enough I may give you a call and ask you to make me one of your fine-looking instruments !
    I'm Irish myself, and indeed intend to play quite a bit of celtic music, although I don't intend to limit myself...I've a list of stuff I want to learn that includes stuff like the Tennessee and Marino Waltzes, James Taylor, Bruce Springsteen, anything from the Transatlantic Sessions TV series...well, it's a long list I can't see ever getting finished.