Blissfest Anyone?

1. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Who's going? I'm hoping to bring my family and camp at this one. Not exactly a BG festival, but a rich variety of musical genres - indie/roots music. My wife and I used to go faithfully and even attended the second one in 1982, held in a potato field in the woods with the stage fashioned out of bent over maple poles and a parachute canopy. You could hear the generators running in the background whenever the sound quieted down. We Michiganders could all use a little Bliss right now! Link to Blissfest
  2. Bill Van Liere
    Bill Van Liere
    Steve-wow on the Bliss since 1982. The first time I played Bliss was 1985, at that old site, with Kate Krammer (Dr. Goodharts), Tom Bauer (Smokey Hollow), Jonas Boyer and myself in a Celtic band called Freshwater. I honestly can't remember how many times I have played there since in various bands or combinations of players. I am trying to figure out how we don't know each other, I am the guy with the Steven Owsley Smith octave mandolin. Do you know Sue Wood? She plays with Don Julin some and plays keyboard in Tanglemere, a band I stared eight years ago. I will see Sue in about an hour, we play a wedding in the GR area this afternoon, and I am sure she will beat our stay at home this year attitude, when we say "I'm not sure about Bliss." I will probabaly go, It always does me good to get away from work.

BVL
  3. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Bill,
    Actually, I have not been to Blissfest in over 10 years! After the 1982 experience, we moved out west and didn't return to northern Michigan until 1989. We attended BF in the early 1990s, but then lost interest when it grew too big and started drawing (IMHO) more of a party crowd than folks who truely enjoy listening to good music. If you played there in the early 90s, I'm sure we saw you and probably have seen Sue as well.

Now we have a teenager who wants to bring a friend and experience BF. We took her to Dunegrass last year and she loved it; however Dunegrass as we know it will not return this summer. So we'll give BG another go-round. Let me know if you plan to be there. I'd certainly enjoy meeting you. Perhaps we could pick some ITM.
  4. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Bill,
    Did you decide to come? I just bought my tickets. We'll be camping there for the weekend. I think I'll bring my oval hole mando along. Any other cafers coming to Bliss?
  5. Jackie Walters
    Jackie Walters
    I won't be there, but I just got back from vacationing in Traverse City. They are doing a good job of advertising it in all the papers. I've seen it everywhere..I'm sure it will draw a good crowd. Have fun at Blissfest...