Week #5 ~ Over the Waterfall ~ REVISTED

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I've enjoyed everyone's versions of this. Here's my effort:

2. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    That's really fine, OldSausage. I like your ending, very different than the standard 'shave and a haircut.' You need to provide more intro about yourself at least advertise your blog - http://mandoliniana.blogspot.com/ - it's quite good! (Whoops, seems like I beat you to it.)
  3. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Very nice picking, OldSausage!
  4. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    OldSausage, that was great. Love the ornamentation and variations you put into it. Good tone, too.
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OldSausage, you headless guy.... that was great! Tell us again about your mando!
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks all, and thanks to Joe for pushing my blog, it's much appreciated! Now I'll have to think up some new posts.
    The mandolin is just an Eastman 515 - I bought it new about a month ago, which is why it's still so shiny. I'll try and get my head in the picture next time. Although coincidentally I do need a shave and a haircut.
  7. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Kyle, you're doing great. I'm so proud of you! We'll get those strings changed and it'll help tremendously.
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    OldSausage... well, you know how it goes... two bits!
  9. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Wow, OldSausage. Very tasty. I really like those slides you're doing up from whatever the blue note is. I'm going to go straight home from work and try to steal some of your ideas. (g) I'm pretty sure I have that ending lick on an old Fairport Convention album somewhere...
  10. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Nice job, Old Sausage. I like that up the neck version. I'll have to try that out too.
  11. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Arrrgh - compared to you guys and gals, I'm playing this at a snails pace, but it is what it is for now - this is a new tune to me. I did just put new strings on the mandolin, tho - J74s - and I think it sounds cleaner for the effort.

12. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Good job for just learnin' it, HddnKat! Whaddya think's better? Clean bed sheets or new mandolin strings? I'm torn between the 2.
  13. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    guess that depends on how dirty the old sheets were, whether I have to sleep on 'em, and how bad the old mandolin strings are...... everything is relative! LOL
  14. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It might not be the fastest, but it was nice and steady - I like the arrangement too, where was that from?
  15. willh
    willh
    Everyone has been doing a great job on this one. Here is my humble effort. Still playing the Hohner MM-200 solid mahogany f-style. According to my tracking notice, the Gypsy OM will be here Friday.

Will
  16. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Will & Kat, those were both great! You have to be able to play something clean slowly, before you can play it clean and fast! Kat, yes, where did you get that arrangement? I liked it! Barb
  17. Bill Snyder
    Bill Snyder
    Kat's arrangement sounds like the "intermediate" arrangement available Mandozine.
  18. billkilpatrick
    kat - you put a lot more music into the song that i did - made it sound orchestral! brava!
  19. HddnKat
    HddnKat
    Yes, the arrangement is from Mandozine. I tried to see if I could record a second track with the chords on guitar behind me, but I didn't like the quality, so I'll worry about learning how to do that later. What I really admire about all the ones I've heard is the fluidity - (no pun intended) - I want to work on my picking so the notes flow from one to the next smoothly.
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kat, I've found recording a second track along with a first recording, is pretty tricky, with the limitations of the web cams, but sometimes, with perserverence, it comes out pretty good. I've found that I need to record the chord track first, then the melody track, or the chords drown out the melody!
  21. Tom Tax
    Tom Tax
    In an attempt to catch up with my tune backlog, I'm letting this one go with more imperfections than I would prefer. It was done on my Eastman Model 815 mandolin.

22. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Tom, that sounded fine to me! Thanks!
  23. bgjunkie
    bgjunkie

One time through on my Trinity College Octave
  24. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    bgjunkie, that was great! Your OM sounds nice, too!
  25. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Very nice, Tom & bgjunkie!
  26. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Found one of Jim Richter playing
  27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    No video showing up here, either... wonder if something is going on with YouTube?
  28. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Really? I can see it. Here's the link...
  29. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    It's showing up now, must have just been some computer glitch!
  30. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Bill, very nice! Sweet mandolin, too!
  31. billkilpatrick
    here's what the library of congress has to say about the song (with its alternate names):

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...creed+13705a45))

... and another knee-less! version of it:

32. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That is very cool indeed, Bill. I almost didn't miss your knees.

But I did miss your knees.
  33. Ken_P
    Ken_P
    This one requires a bit of explanation. I treated this basically as a composition exercise, trying to come up with a bunch of interesting takes on the tune and make them work as a whole somehow. This is the version that made the final cut. Some of it I'm quite happy with, some I'm not, but overall I don't think it's a terrible effort. The playing is pretty sloppy in places, but trying to do something this long in one take is pretty daunting to begin with, so I'll live with it. I could either take a few weeks to get it really polished, or post what I have and move on to other things. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Warning! This is nearly 6 minutes long. No excuses are necessary for bailing out early if it gets too boring!

34. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Blimey Ken, I guess you're the reason they put all those extra frets on a mandolin that the rest of us pay for but never use! Excellent stuff, that's a whole symphony right there - or at least an overture.
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ken, your playing makes me feel like I'm playing chopsticks most of the time! Excellent playing! You have such a good grasp of the whole mandolin package!
  36. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I especially like the feat of doing other things with your left hand while playing on and never missing a note You could have done that Whiskey before Breakfast challenge and take your drink while playing!

I too like to modify tunes, but we're opposites here: I am Bob the Builder, you're the architect.

Bertram
  37. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    Catching up still

38. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    David, it's been fun to watch your progress. You're really doing great!
  39. SweetTea
    SweetTea

Had to try it again. I lead this song at a Saturday jam session and the group really like the tune. Even the way I played it! Thanks for this song.
  40. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    SweetTea, that was good! These tunes are usually played two A parts, then 2 B parts, then repeat 2 or 3 times! Barb
  41. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Hi all,
    I just learned the song and really like it! Super fun! Still playing the jbovier F5Z with really DEAD elixirs. Now I just got 5 more songs to post! Will post more videos soon!

42. Mando_liz
    Mando_liz
    So this is really late, but I just started on it yesterday. I've been playing that Jesus Loves Me for a couple of weeks now. So here goes:

43. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    Very nice Liz!
  44. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Liz, that was great!
  45. DavidHowell
    DavidHowell
    I just wanted to say that I really love this song. I always play it when I get out my mandolin. I think this tune will always stay with me. I might re-record it someday :-P
  46. Susanne
    Susanne
    Nice work, everyone! I haven't played this tune a lot, but I've listened to it a lot, there's an awesome recording by Ben Paley. Anyway, here's my thing:

47. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Susi, very nice! Video looks & sounds good, too! Back to being a right-handed player, I see! I've found with the webcams, you really have to play softly, or there's mic distortion, pops, clicks, etc. It's funny how if we aren't careful, we have such angry looks while playing!
  48. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Personally I like the angry look, it's a lot more "bluegrass". Also, I think the kitchen reverb helps the sound.
  49. Susanne
    Susanne
    Hehe, yeah, maybe! I have a tube friend who always lets me know when I don't smile enough on the videos!!!
    I've gone back to use the Panasonic video camera, since iGlasses messed my computer up! I decided not to do anything about it, since I'm going to upgrade to the new Mac OS when it comes in September, and then everything will be brand new and well working Also, I got some nice surprises today. My video camera came with a software for Windows only, so I've been using VMware with a Windows installation on my Mac only to be able to upload the videos, then moving the ready mpeg2 files to the Mac to convert them to mp4 to be able to use iMovie.... quite some time consuming work! With the USB cable, iMovie 08 didn't understand the video camera no matter what everyone said it would... but the USB cable disappeared, and I bought a card reader instead. And today, out of the blue, when I inserted the memory card in the reader, iMovie opened and wanted to import the files! Yaaaaaay! So now I don't need no Windows... if not for school work later. Sooo happy, it makes video making so much faster and easier! I think the quality gets better too. So bye-bye to Windows (I can almost hear the hallelujah choir singing) and no more built-in webcam! At least not for videos.
  50. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Good pickin' there, Susi, and what a smile!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast