Week #156 ~ Faded Love

1. laura809
    laura809
    It looks like Faded Love won by one vote. I was waiting for Barbara to post, but since it's already Sunday, I thought I would put up some resources. I hope that's o.k.

Here are a couple links to
    http://www.bluegrasscollege.org/fake...veMandolin.pdf
    http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/am...ded_love_1.htm
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Laura, thanks so much for posting this! I am on the road and JUST got to where I have Internet service on my phone!
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    http://www.8notes.com/scores/4410.asp
    Here is a link to music(in Bb) midi and lyrics.
  4. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
  5. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    well Neil, you just put a big smile on my face, really enjoyed that, great stuff mate.
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great tremolo, Neil, and what a beautiful arrangement. How many keys did you make it around to?
  7. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Cheers; just two keys, in A for the main part, but changes into D at two parts. I've played it structurewise the same as the Kentucky Colonels version.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice work Neil, I like that version. Myself, I can just never play this song straight, it comes out different every time. Here it is today:

9. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That was without question one of the most beautiful mandolin arrangements I've ever heard, David. Just amazing.
    Here's a once-through from Jeff and me. It was a favorite at the jam we used to go to, but I've only played it on fiddle before this week. It's a great tune to practice tremolo on, and I think I'll work on adding some of the variations from David's version in the future.

10. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    'Today' was a very good day David. I hadn't planned on learning this song. But, you just sent it to the top of my list with a bullet.
    Marcelyn. A very happy version as usual from you and Jeff. I think we'll have to name Jeff 'The Shadow'.
    Neil. It's always fun to watch your videos. You always come up with something new. Keep it up.
    Gary
  11. jonny250
    jonny250
    well played Neil, OS & Marcelyn! all sounding so good and each so different
  12. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    "The Shadow," haha. I'd been recording while Jeff was busy with other stuff, and when he came over to join in, I'd forgotten to change the camera angle. I do remember his first appearances though, he wouldn't even agree to be in the shot. He's come a long way.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job Marcelyn, that sounds really authentic, and Jeff is a very solid rhythm guy, he deserves at least the usual bluegrass sideman's wages
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks David. So far, I've gotten off pretty cheap. apparently, the Union hasn't gotten to him yet.
  15. laura809
    laura809
    Neil, that was a nice arrangement. I particularly loved the key change. OS, I loved the tremolo and all of the blue notes. Your performance had a lot of feeling to it, right from the first few notes. Marcelyn and Jeff, that was a very enjoyable performance.
  16. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    This tune has been a wonderful "tremolo" lesson. Very enjoyable. Another great duet, Laura. Thanks for sharing.
  17. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great tremolo work (and beautifully played) by both Neil and Marcelyn. And I agree with Marcy that OS does outstanding work. Laura continues to amaze with her singing and playing on many instruments. Well done everyone!

This little bit nonsense came about as a result of relearning the chords I used when I backed up a Texas fiddler on this song. What's funny is that I didn't use the traditional Texas swing backup but the faster one I recorded just for fun with a more contemporary jazz feel. I'm not really a jazz mandolinist but it was fun to give it a shot anyway...

18. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Laura, great version, was hoping someone would sing this week's tune.
    Michael, fantastic as always, good to hear some jazz mandolin.
  19. nanaimo
    nanaimo
    Great versions All! Loved that jazzy feel Michael!
    Kelly
  20. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    So many great performances. I found this one easy to play but tricky to make an interesting arrangement. Here it is in Bb. http://youtu.be/ylLF_msXvDs
    Youtube is playing up again - wont give me code for embedding. Hope this works.
  21. Francis J
    Francis J
    Wow, some incredibly creative music this week. I'm always impressed by the consistently high standards. I'm a bit late with my offering, but work gets in the way of fun on a regular basis!

22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    A simple but great tune which has had lots of really fine postings in the past week. Took me a while to think up something I hope is a bit different - and I eventually decided to add an electric guitar to the arrangement .
    Thanks to all of who who have already posted your versions.

23. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Fantastic, after all the videos posted you've still come up with something different; liked the electric guitar tremolo at the end.
  24. tomgun
    tomgun
    A little late. I was washing my hair.
    I love this song. It's the first song I learned double-stops on.
  25. billkilpatrick
  26. tomgun
    tomgun
    Ha! Nice surprise at the end there, Bill. Cool.
  27. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    I love your style, Bill. It reminds me of your cool Kentucky Waltz. Very smooth
  28. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    Here I go, resurrecting an old thread again

The excuse is that this song is just now getting some attention in the Newbies group, so I checked SAW archives, and all I can say is WOW! A few dead past entries, but what's left is just fantastic. You guys are so great! Beginning with David's goose-bump generating tremolo, and concluding with Bill's awesome medley!

I tackled this tune as a rank mandolin newbie, within my first year or so, and used it as means of finding and using too many double stops, and composing my own version of it up the neck. It's rough, but I'm sharing the video I had made here. This is that old video - I plan to revisit this tune now (it's been about a year and half), and may post a better version here when I'm done working on this phase of the Faded Love journey.

29. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Very nice arrangement, there, Mark. Thanks for posting this
  30. crisscross
    crisscross
    Great versions of this Bob Wills song! I'm especially impressed by Michael's swing licks.
    My background is classical guitar, so when it comes to playing accompaniment, it feels natural for me to play some fingerpicked arpeggios on my nylon-string guitar.
    But lately I tried some flatpicking. Not the Tony-Rice-virtuoso-stuff, just a basic boom-chicka rhythm strum. I was looking for a rather slow song to try to apply this kind of playing and discovered Faded Love. So here's my version, played on my old dreadnought, that I haven't played in years. (and my A-oval hole mandolin)
  31. Jairo Ramos
    Jairo Ramos
    Excellent, I love your tremolo! and martin jonas, excellent video! ... wait a minute, there is no video of martin? wow ...sorry
  32. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    My first recording of 2023 (although I still have a sizeable backlog of Italian tunes recorded last week to be uploaded)! I didn't remember that this was actually an official SAW selection a decade ago, and I'm very impressed by the great interpretations in this thread, especially David (Old Sausage) and Michael! I also see that the last posting in this thread was Jairo calling me out for not having recorded this song -- somewhat late, but here it is now!

This is a Western Swing song written by Bob Wills (with his father John and brother Billy Jack), based on the melody of the traditional folk song "Nelly Gray". My mandolin version uses a harmony by Casey Willis from:

https://www.fiddlevideo.com/wp-conte...e%20Melody.pdf
    https://www.fiddlevideo.com/wp-conte...%20Harmony.pdf

I'm taking this quite fast, similar to the original 1946 Bob Wills take -- later versions, including his own, were generally slower.

1921 Gibson Ajr mandolin (x2)
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/LK_gLKL0KsY

Martin
  33. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    That's a nice harmony! You are bringing your skills from classical playing to bear on this American tune.
  34. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Dennis -- you're on a bit of a catching-up spree!

We tried this arrangement with our group this week, and it works very nicely in a larger configuration, dropping the harmony down an octave for the mandola and a nice western swing guitar rhythm behind it.

Martin