Week #153 ~ Bury Me Beneath the Willow

1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's tune is Bury Me Beneath the (Weeping) Willow. I've never played it, but it seems like a fun and easy tune! And, a classic!

This is what I found for notation:

Here is a link to the song, with words, notation, chords and abc from abcnotation.com

I know we've got some singers out there... so I hope we have some submissions with your voices, too!

Here is a great video lesson I found on YouTube:

and some of the classics!

2. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    You seem to have got a lot of the great versions there, Barbara. I like the Skaggs and Rice version, and the Thile and Daves best. Here's a first take from me:

3. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Fantastic, OS;
    I thought i'd try recording a vocal harmony on the chorus for the first time:

When going back to the start after listening to the end, I realised how ridiculously much I've speeded up over 3 minutes - I think more practice with a metronome is required
  4. JLewis
    JLewis
    Yeah OS! That's it.
  5. justkaron
    justkaron
    Goodness! First day with the song and Ya'll are already tearin' it up! Both excellent. I particularly enjoyed Neil's singing.
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very cool Neil - start it faster, that's my advice
  7. Blue Ghost
    Blue Ghost
    Great version, OS!! In fact it's this best mandolin version these old ears have ever heard. Don't suppose you could provide we struggling players with the ABCs or the Tab?
  8. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    OS.....that was just wonderful!! Lots of ideas there to borrow. The mandolin sounds great too!
  9. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent, David. I'll be borrowing from that rendition, albeit on a zouk...
  10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great mandolin breaks and vocal harmony, Neil. That's an awesome version.
    David, your mandolin really sounds good on that one.
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Wonderful- O S how do you do it? Love your mandolin solo Neil.
    This is a version from traditionalmusic with added

notes and incorporating the solo by Dix Bruce.
  12. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    David--how do you do it? You're always so amazing! Absolutely beautiful...
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Thanks very much indeed for all the nice words about my video folks. Blue Ghost, I was making it up as I went along so I don't have tab, but I will try my best to find some time to tab it out this week. And Eddie, I want to hear it on your zouk. I'd love to try playing this kind of tune on a mandola, though sadly I've already blown my mando budget for the year! And Rosemary, I can't pretend that spending the last two months watching every video on Mike Marshall's site hasn't given me an awful lot of ideas.
  14. Rosemary Philips
    Rosemary Philips
    Watching Mike Marshall's videos has given me a lot of ideas too, David--executing those ideas, however, is a completely different matter. You rock!
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    I didn't quite get David's feel but here goes anyway... on a Cittern-half of an Ovation Doubleneck - CCGGDDAADD...

16. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Eddie, that was really nice, especially the fingerpicking section. What a monster instrument! So cool.

Enjoyed your versions a lot, maudlin and neil. Nice singing & harmonies, neil. OS, lovely playing. Very tasteful.

My version should be called Bury Me Beneath a Pile of Kleenex, between the allergies and a spring cold (after being healthy all year, I get sick during our spring break). Anyway, here's some ideas in D, including some overly notey stuff (I blame the cold medicine). Since this is a vocal tune, you'll probably find it being played a variety of keys. If you have some closed position versions, you can move those to any key.

17. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Don, I need the name of your cold medicine. Aside from being in the same boat healthwise, I'd like to experience some of those notey side effects.
    Eddie, what a cool sound that cittern has. I really like your fingerpicking too.
    Here's a version from Jeff and me.

18. laura809
    laura809
    Don, your mandolin has gorgeous tone and that was a very musical performance. Eddie, that was a nice arrangement with lots of variation. That's a cool instrument too, but it looks like a beast to play. Maudlin, I like how you combined a couple different versions to provide some variation. Neil, I loved your vocal version. That was a great solo too. David, that was an excellent instrumental arrangement and performance. Marcelyn and Jeff, I always look forward to videos of the two of you. You sound great together.
    Even though singing is not my strong point, I did my best to add a harmony on the chorus since this song really does call for it.
  19. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I think singing may be your strong point, Laura, you sound awesome! Great videos from everyone else too, really nice intricate work from Eddie and cool cross picking from Don. And I love Marcelyn's old timey combo.
  20. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    OS, Neil, MM, Eddie, Don, Marcelyn and Jeff, Laura - A very enjoyable and unique posting by each of you. You made my day. Eddie - Your finger picking is reminiscent of days past. The vocals were a real treat also. Laura, your harmony was a very nice touch. Thanks to all of you for sharing.
  21. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    This is a great week with some wonderful performances: OS and his great noodlings, Neil and his one man old time band, Maudlin's old timey solo, Eddie's awesome double neck extravaganza, Don's delightful key of D musings, Marcy and Jeff's great old time sound (with tremolo on mandolin) and finally Laura's awesome vocal harmonies. Here's a pre bluegrass version in the key of D. It has mandolin, resophonic fingerpicked guitar, backup guitar, bass guitar and lead and harmony vocal. (It's just me on the recording...)

22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Michael, I love that version. You found some great verses I've never heard.
    Laura, really nice harmony part. .
  23. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Love that fingerpicking, and especially enjoyed your second mando break, Michael, excellent.
  24. laura809
    laura809
    I hadn't heard those verses either, and I really enjoyed them. I particularly loved the bluesy feel to the mandolin breaks. Excellent performance!
  25. Eddie Sheehy
    Very polished performance Michael.
  26. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I tabbed out a version of this, it's a little more controlled and less "strummy" than the original one I did - not sure if that's better or worse, but anyway, it's quite similar. I made another video to go along with it. I find it quite hard to tab out the crosspicking correctly, so just bear in mind to leave those melody and cross-picked notes ringing and don't cut them off like the note values in the tab might suggest. Also you'll need to control the dynamics to make sure the melody is louder than the other lines.

Tab is here, in TablEdit (TEFView) format.
  27. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    Here's a little ditty I made up this afternoon. Rough? Sure. Flubs? A few. You'll get the gist though. I just may work this one up too with the singing part and everything! Meanwhile, I offer the following on my 1930 Gibson L-1. One of the guitars I've had about as long as my wedding ring - like 25 years or so. . . (my then-soon-to-be father-in-law gave it to me - some yard sale find from 1987).

f-d
  28. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice - that old guitar sounds awesome!
  29. fatt-dad
    fatt-dad
    I kind of blew it. . . I really meant to post just how great all the other videos have been. I tried to do this on mandolin and have played it with my jam mates in the past. I just lapse into simple melody and some harmony stuff. Not very solo-worthy on the mandolin. I really like your rendition OS for sure! Nice work and stuff I'll learn from. I also want to add, I've never heard of/seen a double-neck acoustic. So, the hardware was something to behold, but the playing was great too.

Really this is a fun bunch and I've listened to all. I enjoy the different takes on style for sure!

I tried to sing and fingerpick this tune (inspiration from Marcelyn). I made some progress, but can't quite dedicate the time 'cause I'm working up another tune on the guitar right now (Blind-Boy Fuller's, "Mamie") and that's where I'm spending my guitar time right now. It's a slow journey, but the audience for my forthcoming performance is very forgiving (a church talent show).

Ain't amateur music grand!

f-d
  30. Toycona
    Toycona
    The last two - OS & FD - are really great in terms of tone. Way to go...both inspiring.
  31. jonny250
    jonny250
    wow, some really super versions of this song being played, lots of ideas for me. David I really liked your first version, and Michael there's lots for me to think about in your video, especially all the backup stuff when you take breaks on the other instruments - clever stuff!
  32. jonny250
    jonny250
    Well as usual I'm a little late with my offering for this song; there's plenty of bum notes and things for me to work on, probably i should have slowed it down a bit too!
    I very much enjoy these song-a-week projects as they give me new things to think about each week
  33. nanaimo
    nanaimo
    Sounds great too me jonny!
  34. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Jonny, even sans beard.
    Gary
  35. GKWilson
    GKWilson

Gary
  36. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Very nice, Gary. Lots of feeling and clean picking.
    And great versions of everybody else.
    David, thanks for making your version available to everyone.
  37. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Where to start! A whole concert in this thread. Wish I could play this kind of music; someday perhaps! Love the singing, guitar finger picking ... all of it.
  38. crisscross
    crisscross
    I like this song since first hearing it on the Skaggs/Rice record but always felt that for me the vocal part is a it too high in the key of G. Well, now I tried it and it kind of worked. I used my ukulele played clawhmmer style for the banjo part, my mandotuned ukulele for the mandolin part, and for the guitar break I played a lick I learned from Pete Anderson's playing on Dwight Yoakam's "Bury me". Now, if I could only win Maria McKee to sing harmony.