Farewell to Coigach

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I discovered this great tune recently and have put up my version on my Soundcloud page. Played on Octave mandolin with acoustic guitar, keyboards and synth cello added for the purists.

Here is the link: http://snd.sc/wD17RP
  2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    That's beautiful John. I've got a long list of must learn songs and tunes.
    But, this one must go to the top. Thanks.
    Gary
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Thanks, Gary. It is a lovely tune from a lovely part of Scotland, and I was moved by the story of Murdo's emigration to Montana and his working on a ranch then returning to Scotland to wed the girl he left behind. Who says we Scots are not a romantic race?
    I can post an abc or a pdf of the tune plus the chords I used should you or anyone be interested.
  4. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I would be very appreciative John.
    Gary
  5. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Gary,
    I have posted the pdf file with chords over on the Thread for Social Group MP3 postings on the miscellaneous group on the Forum page. It would not let me attach the abc file, stating it was an invalid file, so if you want the abc, PM me and I will send it to you.
  6. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I had to learn this tune, cuz it was stuck in my head.
    I guess this is the American version as I can't seem to
    duplicate John's Scottish lilt.
    Gary
  7. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Good try there, Gary. Your use of the hammer-ons gets the tune near to the "Scottish lilt" you mention. That plus pull-offs get close to replicating the ornamentations fiddlers use such as the Scottish snap. Your version is a bit faster than mine, but that is for you to decide anyway. we all start with the basic notes and then try to put our stamp on the tune as best we can.
    I like the tone from that instrument of yours!
  8. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Thanks John. I tried to play it at a slower tempo. But, without an accompaniment it didn't seem to stand up.
    My Octave is the Mike Black #6 that just popped up on the forum again this week. Got lucky there.
    Gary